Page: of 2

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  11:45:57 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I just knew you'd come in and add a post. LOL. I love going back to the older postings. Some I have never read. This one made me laugh.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  12:06:05 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Now I hope you're not saying you know I'm a bad cook, my friend!!! I mean, I know that the big joke in the neighborhood used to be that everyone knew I was cooking whenever the windows flew open to allow the billowing smoke to escape, but... I've come a long way, honest!!! LOL!!! Just kidding - I know that's not what you meant! You made me laugh, though, and my son wanted to know why I was laughing, so I told him. Then he started with a whole bunch of, "Yeah, Mom! And what about the time... And what about the time...And then there was the time... And tell them about the time..." Guess I really have made some whoppper blunders. Why can't they just remember the good stuff? LOL!!! Well, chalk it up to funny stories for posterity, right? LOL!!! Thanks for the giggles! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  12:06:55 PM  Show Profile
This was a great post!!! And I'm in it as Kygurlsrbest!!! Something happened to my password and id, so I had to start another "identity" on the forum and now I'm FebruaryViolet!

In the interim, there have been several other "horrible" things I've either made myself, or that my husband has wrought...

When we first me, my husband and I, I had just started eating meat after 9 years of being a vegetarian, and prior to that, I wasn't really a cook...I'd just sort of wing it, but because he was a total carnivore and I wanted to impress him, and I'd just had steak au poivre at a fancy steak house in Manhattan and adored it, I looked up the recipe on Epicurious and it "seemed" like something I could manage. Got everything ready, made the mashed potatoes and creamed peas then put pressed the peppercorns into the filets for the oven. Unfortunately, I misread both the amount and "where" to press the peppercorns on the steak....so I used WAY too much and put them on both sides, to effectively "coat" this meat in black peppercorns!!!! When we sat down, I was so proud and I thought, "this is gonna knock his socks off!"....and it sure did! He couldn't stop coughing (or drinking the beer, or his watering) the whole meal. Poor thing, he just kept croaking, "this is pretty spicy!" but he did try to eat the whole thing...when I looked back at my recipe, it occurred to me that a) I'd made a huge miscalculation and b) he was a keeper :)

About 5 years into our marriage, my husband got excited about cooking. One night, I was coming down with some sort of bug, and just felt achy all over, so instead of cooking, I told him I was gonna take warm bath. He offered to make spaghetti and I was absolutely fine with that! While I was soaking in the tub, I started smelling the WORST smell. Like something had died in the kitchen. When I got out and into my robe, and stepped outside into the hallway, it smelled even worse. I stepped into the kitchen and watched him, moving quickly from fridge to spice cabinet, tossing some of this, a little of that, into a pan on the stove. He noticed me and said, "We didn't have any ground beef, so I used Goetta in the tomato sauce. I think it's going to be awesome!" Now, most folks outside of the Ohio/No.Ky/Indiana don't know what Goetta is, but it's basically ground pork with steel cut oats, some sage and other spices. It's a breakfast meat, and it's nothing like beef. In fact, it's got a funny texture and a funny smell, and it's an acquired taste.

Naturally, I protested. I said,, "I appreciate the effort, but I'm not at all going to eat that." An argument insued. He was hurt. Then he took a big spoonful, spit it out into the pan, put his hand up to me as if to say "stop" and said, "We will never speak of this again!". When I want to tease him, I refer to the "spageotta incident" ;)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  1:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Ohh man, everyone has such wonderful stories.

My turn, when we were first married, I wanted to make chinese food, lo mein basically. So using a cookbook, it called for three cups of bean sproats and one can of canned cabbage. It was dog food, plain and simply, dog food, smelled and tasted like it.

Those days were full of undercooked meat, raw chickens, unmelted cheese, and cheesecakes so brown, my mom thought it was an apple pie. I have too many stories from the early days of being married. Ugh.

---
Farmgirl #2951
2012 Farmgirl of the Year
http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  3:21:15 PM  Show Profile
I made what is now known as the Salt Omlette. It was my first time making an omlette and I put in 1 Tablespoon of salt rather than 1 teaspoon of salt. Needless to say it was inedible! But it is now one of our funny stories.

My mother once made a Sauerbraten with elk meat. We don't know what she did wrong but we (my sisters and Dad) refused to eat it. She got all huffy and said, "fine, the dog will enjoy it!". When she put it in the dogs bowl, Fritz took once whiff and ran out of the house!

Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  4:42:34 PM  Show Profile
So funny, Audrey. It must have been bad if the dog wouldn't eat it. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  8:16:13 PM  Show Profile
Well, my family would all immediately answer "Her seafood casserole" We had tried a seafood casserole at my grandmother's house that was amazing. I got the recipe and decided to make it myself. Well, since my grandmother caught her crab fresh and got her shrimp fresh and used fresh scallops, I'd say that made a big difference. I had to get the big kind of scallops instead of the little ones (tough), plain old frozen shrimp (probably from Taiwan!!!) and snow crab. And I didn't have some of the other ingredients so I substituted. That casserole was horrible. It was so horrible that now, after probably 13 years, the kids and hubby STILL say, "And do you remember that seafood casserole?? Ewwww." :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  8:27:01 PM  Show Profile
I think we have probably all done something like that Mary Beth. Trying to cut corners gets us those kinds of Ewwwww dinners. Funny.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  5:03:05 PM  Show Profile
I am laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes. When I was young about 7 or 8 momma was in the wash house washing clothes and ask me to put hot dogs on and you guessed it no water. there was smoke coming out the door. Momma said " Sissie did you put water on the hot dogs" I said no but momma was running to the house. Then the joke was my momma could really run.

One time made a cake and acccidently put salt instead of sugar. The cats couldnt even eat it.

I have learned alot since those days! I know my family is grateful!!!LOLOLO

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

Marigold
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Marigold
Chicago IL
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2012 :  9:46:40 PM  Show Profile
The first time I made salsa I follow the directions and tasted it before I started canning. It was barely spicy. So I added more jalapenos, and kept adding until I could taste it. Then I canned the batch and thought I had done a very good job making sure I had some heat in my salsa. Well, when I went to open that first jar my eyes started watering. That stuff was so hot it was in-edible. You could taste nothing for an hour after one bite. After that I followed the recipe.

I also have a similar tale about pickles. I let the brine simmer too long on the stove and enough water evaporated that the whole batch of pickles were uber salty. Now I know to get everything ready and then bring the brine to a simmer so that doesn't happen!
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2012 :  06:03:00 AM  Show Profile
A gumdrop popcorn cake.

The recipe came from a magazine, but used oil in it. It was horrible. It may have had a typo in the ingredients.

It ended up on the back step to get thrown out.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  2:22:44 PM  Show Profile
Orange chicken, definitely the worst cooking experiment ever. I didn't have an orange chicken recipe but I did have one for lemon chicken. So I made some creative substitutions. My dog wouldn't even touch it.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  4:03:35 PM  Show Profile
When I was fresh out of high school I thought I would surprise my boyfriend at the time with a homemade personal pizza on his lunch hour. I had never made pizza crust before so I thought it would be ok to just mix some flour and water together. It turned out so dense and so chewy I thought he was going to choke on it. He wanted to be polite and appreciative so he didn't say anything, but I could tell and fearing for his safety, I told him to stop. He ended up eating the toppings and ditching the crust. Poor guy! Lol!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  4:55:14 PM  Show Profile
Keep them coming!!! LOLOLOL

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  5:16:07 PM  Show Profile
This thread is too funny. Emily, do you still have that boyfriend? Nice guy.
Marly

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic what's the worst thing you made? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page