Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Women We Admire Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  08:35:56 AM  Show Profile
.. who are teaching us by example. Kay Bullitt is a woman I would love to emulate. I can think of nothing better than fostering peace via communication in any form. Here's a "portrait" of her:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw08282005/portraits.html

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Aug 29 2005 08:36:39 AM

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  10:40:15 AM  Show Profile
Clare, she is a wonderful example. I hadnt heard of her before. Thanks for the info, I love reading and learning about strong women. They are not only inspirational but you learn so much from them. When you look at what they've accomplished you realize you too can do something to make a positive difference. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  11:07:26 AM  Show Profile
Don't Break The Elastic!!
In April, Maya Angelou was interviewed by Oprah on her 70+ birthday.
Oprah asked her what she thought of growing older.

And, there on television, she said it was "exciting." Regarding body
changes, she said there were many, occurring every day...like her
breasts.

They seem to be in a race to see which will reach her waist, first.
The audience laughed so hard they cried. She is such a simple and
honest woman, with so much wisdom in her words!

Maya Angelou said this:

"I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today,
life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow."

"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she
handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled
Christmas
tree lights."

"I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents,
you'll miss them when they're gone from your life."

"I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as "making
a life."

"I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance."

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on
both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back."

"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I
usually make the right decision."

"I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one."

"I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone.
People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back."

"I've learned that I still have a lot to learn."

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will
forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Please send this to five phenomenal women today.
If you do, something good will happen: You will boost another woman's
self-esteem.

If you don't...the elastic will break and your underpants will fall
down around your ankles! ;-) Believe me, I didn't take any chances on MY
elastic breaking....I sent it to a lot of special women I care for.

Is life not a hundred times too short for us to stifle ourselves?

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  5:14:10 PM  Show Profile
rosa parks! randi
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  6:29:27 PM  Show Profile
Does Richard Simmons count?

Seriously though, I would have to say my grandmother. She crossed over twenty three years ago, and I still talk to her all the time. She lost her only true love (her fiance)when he poked his head out of a trolley car window and was decapitated. She lost her first born son (her favorite) at 34, who died of uremic poisoning. She lived through 13 pregnancies, all miscarriages, except for five. She owned a sucessful dress shop during the depression and, because she was married to an arrogant man who was shorter than she was (my grandfather who was jealous of her success)she was forced to close it. My grandfather was a moving nut as well. He would come home (I was told)and announce to my grandmother, "We are moving, I found another house." My grandparents moved over 35 times during their marriage. After my grandfather crossed over, my grandmother later met a wonderful man who loved her dearly. He also loved my mother, my sister and me. I was 2 years old and sat on his lap the morning of the day he shot himself in the head in front of the Philadelphia Art Museum. He was very large and had diabetes. He knew he would soon be very ill, and didn't want to be a burden. My grandmother was a smart, strong, wise woman, who always was dressed nicely, with earrings, and make-up. She always had peppermint Chicletes in her handbag for me, and of course, a nice hankerchief. She had three out of four (excluding my wonderful mother)miserable children, who did not possess the ability to love anything, including themselves. She sang, she danced, she had sayings I still use today,she was a great baker, and she could smell a fake a mile away. She lived in her own lovely home (that she loved to photograph)until she was 88. She was still sharp as a tack, and had great legs.
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  9:19:19 PM  Show Profile
I've always admired my Grade 7 Geography teacher, Ms Mazur. After teaching for nearly 20 years, she quit to pursue her dreams of being an artist, enrolling and completing art college. She never had children, but we students were her children. We corresponded for many years after I finished Grade 7, but that stopped a number of years ago. She is a passionate woman, vibrant, observant, sharp, and frank. I miss her.

Other women I admire:
Marie Curie - scientist
Carol Shields - writer
Frida Kahlo - artist

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  9:54:12 PM  Show Profile
I admire my mother. She was the consumate homemaker and could do anything -- a fabulous cook, amazing seamstress, gardener, the list could go on and on. She died when I was 17 and in the years before she died we had a very rocky relationship. Now that I'm older I wish she was around to share her skills with me.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  10:08:46 PM  Show Profile
I admire Jackie Clay..who is a wonderful example of a homesteader who has done it all and lives in the wild and has dealt with so much and persevered!! She does alot of articles for Backwoods Home magazine and I would sure love to meet her.
Of people I know personally my grandma would be tops on the list. She taught me everything I love to do and mothered everyone!! she was the oldest of 12 children and since her own mom died when she was only about 40 (started young and had kids quick) she mothered all of her siblings too. I miss her so much. She passed on in '92.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  10:30:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girlfriends,
You have all mentioned people that are on my list of admirees. I would like to add another one. Especially after this past weekend, I admire Mary Jane Butters. Having visited her farm twice now and seen her in action I have an even stronger feeling of admiration. The things that she has accomplished in her life add up to a huge positive example for us all. Since reading the book and all the magazines she has produced I am constantly in awe that she has been able to do these things without having to resort to taking advertising dollars from things and people who do not support the values she holds dear. I admire her values. Seeing how the farm is run and her generosity of spirit spurrs me on to attempting to become an even better person, to looking for ways to work within my own community to encourage the local organic farmers and increase local awareness that they have local options for food that is safe and fresh without having to waste the energy of gasoline to drive 40 miles to the nearest grocery chain store.
Anyone who has influenced so many people for the good of all so unselfishly as Mary Jane deserves my admiration.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  1:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
AMEN to that, Eileen. You have articulated my very thoughts better than I could have, and saved me from a lot of typing!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Women We Admire Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page