Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Paper and Stickers Anonymous Club
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Paper and Stickers Anonymous Club Next Topic
Page: of 2

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:07:44 PM  Show Profile
Girls I have a deep dark secret I want to share...I am a paperholic. It started 10 years ago in a mild form when the scrapbooking craze hit...in the last few months it has morphed into a giant paper, collage, sticker monster in my living room. Mail art is feeding this beast. Today I went out to hobby lobby and went bezerk. They had a sale on PAPERS!!!! 10 beautiful decorated papers for 1.00. Normally they are .77 apiece. Visions of lovely mail art danced in my head. I bought 40 pieces of collage papers and some stickers I could not resist. Then I found a whole tablet of 60's-70's retro papers in a clearance bin! There are all these mail art ideas flowing...now I just have to bring them into fruition and try to afford postage since I shot my budget on paper.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:14:25 PM  Show Profile
You've got it bad girl. My downfall is stickers. I just love them! I remember when stickers first were popular when my kids were little and they'd collect them in a notebook. I was so glad scrapbooking came along so I could have a reason to buy stickers now that my 3 daughters are in their 20's. I read the mail art forum, maybe I'm slow, but I'm still not sure what it really is. Are there any pics on this website of examples. Some of us just don't catch on as fast.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Jan, Go to the Mail Art II updates topic and it will explain mail art. We have formed a group called The Sisterhood of the Traveling Art here on the forum! You are welcome to join! It is so much fun getting mail art from these wonderful funny farmgirls! There are examples of the art that has been sent on the mail art topic. We even have our own website set up beautifully by Melissa (sqrl) on this forum!

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:39:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Meadowlark, I found the website link. Now I get it! I'm gonna sign up and get creative. Like I said, some of us need a little extra hand-holding. Jan
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Your most welcome Jan! Glad to help! You will love being a part of this fun and creative group!

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  10:01:30 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE PAPER! Here we are again admitting to a secret obsession just to find twenty other women with the same obsession, don't ya just love it? I love paper, tissue paper, collage, stickers and everything else that goes along with. At birthday parties I'm always hanging out by the present opener grabbing anything that looks useable. I've gotten such nice stuff that way. Over the years of collecting I have forced myself to be a little more picky with what I collect, cause it'll never end and I'll be swimming in it.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  06:41:23 AM  Show Profile
Although I am not "addicted" to this medium, I do have a strong compulsion to find and save great papers, stickers, etc. Nearly had a heart attack at the dollar store yesterday when I found a half an aisle of nothing but scrapbooking supplies ...and they were NICE!Watch out all you Mail Art farmgirls, they are headed to a mailbox near you! (Soon, I hope!)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  10:13:16 AM  Show Profile
Can I add...ME TOO! ME TOO! Stickers, paper, wrapping paper and stationery! A true weakness...or perhaps it really is a strength! Since I sold Creative Memories for years I have a huge stock pile. I was always the renagade consultant b/c I just couldn't do "simple" pages. I carried Grossman stickers and have every pair of decorative scissors and punches. Still have a huge supply to share, so I'm thrilled to know, and I'm taking notes, so I can add a "happy" to my mailart envelopes. And if anyone is looking for a particular something, I may have it so speak up. I don't sell it any more so it's free for the asking.

The Sisterhood of Traveling Art AND my broken leg has been a wonderfull experience to get it all out and PLAY!! You all should see my bed! Looks like a HUGE nest!

Lori, I saw some of your art on your site! WOW!! I was impressed. I love watercolor and have always wanted to take lessons. It seems like a hard medium to me b/c it "seems" you have less control, which i suppose is a good thing creatively.

Well, it sure is nice to be in the company of so many creative farmgirls.

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  3:33:33 PM  Show Profile
I knew I was in the right place !!!!! Paper, stickers, stationery, anything that I can put my hands on !!!! I need to join a Paper Anon. I have done what Meadow Lark has done in Hobby Lobby....My car just wants to drive in and I have to talk myself out of a shopping spree....I can do mail art for the next 5 years and NOT buy anything !!! Confession Time.

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  3:41:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh goodie, Linda. I know what to bring ya when I see ya! Just what you need, right!?......MORE!!!!!

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  3:57:47 PM  Show Profile
OH girls...Confession time I just bought some awesome vintage ephemera on ebay....Ads from old magazines, maps, programs, old postcards and pics, I am in paper nirvana! There is a "farmgirl' pic from a 1952 Sat Evening Post to die for I want to have scanned to use in mailart...another one is an old ad from an ancient catalog of old overalls!!!!! I am doing handsprings on that one! You should see my dining room table...a mailart/paper/sticker bomb exploded! I LOVE this, so good to know I am in like minded company... it is a "magnificent obsession" Get set girls for a fall/winter theme extravaganza of mail art heading your way!!!!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  7:38:37 PM  Show Profile
Hey Meadowlark -- just had to share that for a while my hubby was selling ads from old magazines on eBay. He quit doing it but has a tub full of magazines left over. Last week I got it out and went through it. I have 5 Life magazines from the 1940s plus other ads from that era. I sorted through all of them to use for mail art. Now just have to figure out a storage system.

You guys are so lucky to Hobby Lobby. I discovered it when I was in IL last Fall. I walked in and start hyperventilating. Of coure the first place I headed was the fabric department. Then to the purse handles. I had to ship a separate box home from my brothers! Luckily for me I don't have an attachment to paper or stickers so I never go in that aisle -- just fabric.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  10:01:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kay, Envy here Those old mags are a hoot! My storage system is just put em in a box labeled old stuff/corny ads! The smaller ones I put in the glad sandwhich storage bags and such. I HAVE to steer clear of Hobby Lobby or it will bust the bank!( Paper items that is) The old Ideals periodicals make great sources for vintage stuff but I almost hate to cut them up, they are so pretty.

Edited by - MeadowLark on Oct 01 2005 10:04:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  04:36:13 AM  Show Profile
Have to 'fess up and say I am also a paper/stickers/magazine cutout/fabric sample addict. I have also discovered "eco-labels" that some people use for recycling envelopes, they have lovely pictures of animals, birds, flowers etc. I have a large box of my collection of stuff that is usually emptied and spreads out over the living room floor! Whenever I make a trip outside of London to a small village, I check out the craft stores, they always have hard to find and unique papers or stationery. I have joined the mail-art list, the "downunder" chapter (and am working on my bit in the chapter journal) and have my own "Farmgirl" scrapbook - these are all excellent outlets for my addiction!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  7:34:40 PM  Show Profile
i often buy olde books that are in 'falling apart' condition .. just for the pictures .. have created 'card and tag art' with them .. (haven't done altered books yet .. but 'it's on the list'! i've also put them on olde suitcases (inside and out) with a theme .. they are great for covering up 'owies' on olde suitcases .. .and they can be 'darkened' with different types of stain to make them look older.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  5:12:04 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I'm right in there with the rest of ya'. I have stuff that moved with me when I got married 15 years ago and moved with us two more times. I also have a problem with not wanting to use some of it. I get emotionally attached to the nostalgic age of it and just keep it. That's awful! Although, it is quite hereditary....my Moma has boxes and boxes of magazines for the past 50 years just because she can't part with them.

Y'all know what....all our quirks just make us who we are and prove how boring everyone else is.

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

gothique
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Susan
Norman OK
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  8:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Send gothique a Yahoo! Message
Guilty, guilty, guilty... of paper hoarding! For years I've collected tissue wrap, gift wrap, made my own marbled paper, and I now have quite a stash. One cool source I've not heard mentioned here is in the Asian markets, there is a section where they sell "joss paper" -- it's usually right next to all the incense. There are all kinds of stuff made out of paper and you're supposed to burn it (if you're a good Buddhist) for your ancestors' benefit. Little paper shirts and wristwatches and shoes and stuff. And sometimes just sheets of cool paper to cut, stamp, whatever.

I've recently been inspired by the things I see in magazines such as Somerset Studios, Cloth Paper & Scissors and others to plow through all the art supplies and ephemera I've been hoarding, and look in my old jewelry for broken earrings and trinkets and beads I can use for embellishing. It would probably take me a week to get it all together, so I'm trying to just discover it as I go along and maybe by that time a project will materialize in my mind. In the meantime, it is hard to keep from going to Michaels and Hobby Lobby and online and buying lots of rubber stamps. Somebody stop me!!

"Take care of the luxuries, and the necessities will take care of themselves."
-- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  04:51:28 AM  Show Profile
We are all kindred girls!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  3:27:53 PM  Show Profile
Girls I am swimming in paper! Just got more papers, stickers and stuff at my favorote shop in Kansas City over the weekend...dreams of Holiday mailart are dancin in my head...I also have aquired old vintage issues of Farm Journal from the 40's-50's! Oh my these are a Hoot! great ads, articles and pics. Really an eyeopener in to a long past way of life... I had my eye on the most beautiful album I have ever seen at this shop Saturday. The cover was hand painted flowers like a Monet...the paper was hand made and had the ragged edges...just exquisite. I was smoothing the pages with my hand and DH was looking at me kinda funny...like what is wrong with this woman. Reason got a hold of me and I put the expensive album back...but it was sweet just looking and feeling the paper. I have it bad...I need one of those chicken cubbies things to store my stuff.

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  07:58:49 AM  Show Profile
I sent my guy a letter today. Went a little crazy on the envelope with stickers, cats, bugs, tools, mushrooms...hope the post office can find the address. Hope he gets it when some of his hunting buddies are up there to see it. Hehehehe
Go to Top of Page

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  1:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Some more paper stuff I got today - couldn't resist, this is recycled fabric paper from India:

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  3:32:07 PM  Show Profile
ooooooooohhhhhh......

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  6:30:53 PM  Show Profile
I just found this thread. I have never heard of Hobby Lobby, but we do have a Michael's. And yes I have to admit since I signed up on the mail art list I have gone nuts at Michael's, paper, stamps, stickers, etc. I also recently got a new computer for home use which has allowed me to use the web better and I am a websurfer nut. So when I want retro or old fashion clip art, postcards, ads, I just do a search, a copy and a paste and start printing. Right now I am working on Valentines for the mailart list, not sure if I can get to everyone but have quite a pile started. Figure if I couldn't do all Valentines, then the next set will be a "Welcome in Spring" group of mailart - got some great stuff from the sticker/scrap book aisle at Michaels.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  8:51:05 PM  Show Profile
Gorgeous papers!! I can see why you couldn't resist. I am not a scrapbooker but I am a rubber stamper and card maker. My problem is I make cards to sell at a friend's gift shop so I make them in bulk. Which means I can't just buy one or 2 pieces of wonderful paper, I have to buy a lot. Which then gets a little costly, kwim? But I have a love for paper, too, believe me, I do.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  12:47:07 PM  Show Profile
Paper ooooohhhhh I'm a sucker for nice paper.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  04:24:54 AM  Show Profile
I'm actually not a paperholic, but am the beneficiary of one. Let me tell you a sweet little story.

My husband's grandparents met right before WWI. She was a bit of a socialite, and he was thought to be a station or two beneath her. But he became a fighter pilot in one of those bi-planes during the war, and was elevated somewhat by that status. She was a typical teenage girl of her times and station. She kept a scrapbook of all sort of things. I have this scrapbook, and it's bulging with clippings from newspapers of parties she attended, has dance cards with young men's names written in with the tiny attached pencils, pictures of friends, records of sorority functions (she was a college girl), programs from plays and musicals, and her engagement and then wedding announcements. Most of this was done right around 1917-1918.

Not so much was entered after the wedding. I understand that my mother-in-law was conceived not long after, and the poor girl died soon after delivering her. Griefstricken, he sent the baby to his sister to raise until she was five. He kept a few of her mother's things for her, including this scrapbook. When my mother in law passed, it was handed to me.

I have some things from this woman dead now almost a hundred years. I have a beautiful sheared lamb muff. I have a silver sugar bowl encircled with collector's spoons with dates from 1908 to about 1918. I have her diamond engagement ring, which looks like something from Titanic and tragically has almost no wear. And I have her scrapbook, which gives me a glimpse into the excitement, the love, the ambivalence and fears, and the hopeful heart of a woman long dead, who lived so richly and well, and died all too soon.

I never knew her, but she left me something wonderful. Think of what you're passing on to others yet unborn.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Paper and Stickers Anonymous Club Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page