mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  09:33:47 AM  Show Profile
My old mini dox, who is 14 years old, is deteriorating. I know he's lived a long life, but I hate to see him moving so slow, and in obvious discomfort. He's still eating well, but his back bones are sticking out - you can see each one. I won't put him down as long as his tail still wags in the morning, but please pray that he has an easy exit from this world when his time comes. He has been a loyal friend for a long time and we all love him. (His name is Aristotle James McHenry Grubbs - we call him "Ari".)(named by our son when he was a little boy)

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  09:38:20 AM  Show Profile
I surely will, Sherry. I know all too well how difficult it is to see an old friend deteriorate, and to know that the time is coming...I hope that you will not have to make his decision for him, and wish him peace and happiness. He has known nothing but love, and for that your heart can be assured whenever and whatever decisions have to be made.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  09:39:20 AM  Show Profile
Call me if you want to say good-bye and make him more comfortable. No charge.

Patricia

Proud Farmgirl Sister #19
Rusty Chicks Chapter

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Today I choose faith not fear.
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  8:29:28 PM  Show Profile
We have an old dog on the farm who's days are numbered too. Everytime the subject comes up everyone starts crying. It's so hard to know what to do. You're both in my prayers.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  02:26:41 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, sorry to hear about Ari. I know it must be hard. My dog Lizzie is getting a bit older too, she's 11. I'll keep you all in my prayers.

(((Hug)))

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  04:02:59 AM  Show Profile
So sorry, Sherry. It is a very difficult thing. Strength and comfort to you. Keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  04:04:35 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, I am so sorry! Ari and your family will be in my prayers. I do know how difficult it is, my 11 1/2 year old rottie was diagnosed with bone cancer a few weeks ago. I cried and cried. She is doing well for now, but it is hard knowing the end is near.

(((HUGS)))

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  6:29:19 PM  Show Profile
Sherri,
I'm sad to hear about your dog. They truly are a part of our families aren't they? We know they love us as much as we love them and that's what makes it so hard so see them start to fail.
He lived a long, happy life and it sounds like he grew up with your son too, how sweet. We lost our Mesa, a yellow lab on December 3, rather unexpectedly. She was only 9. We still don't know how she died, but it was so hard on all of us. We'll always love her.

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  5:10:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all your good wishes about Ari. I dread every morning going out to the garage to get the dogs. He and Lucy, our doxie pup, sleep in a box together out there (with LOTS of blankets). Lucy jumps out when she kears the door open and I have to go over and check on him. So far, though, after he gets up (he's really slow) his tail starts wagging and he's ready for breakfast. One day at a time I guess.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  7:35:48 PM  Show Profile
Sherri
I lost my heart & soul, Emily, my 13 yr old Great Dane last yr. I knew she was nearing the end, & kept praying that I didn't have to make that decision to have her put down. Well Jan 29, 2007, she started having trouble breathing. I sat with her, & told her I loved her & sang a song one of my interim pastors taught us called "Sanctuary"(I had sung this to her many times before) She died in my arms. I was (& still am) devastated, but was so thankful for the way she went, the same way she lived, with strength, grace & dignity. My thoughts & prayers are with you.
(by the way, crying as I type)
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  04:18:14 AM  Show Profile
It is such a hard thing to see them get out and know that they will soon pass on. The best you can do is know that you have given him a good life and lots of love. I recently lost my German Shepherd to cancer and knew when it was time to end her suffering. When the quality of life is no longer there, I know it is one thing I can control, I did not want her to have a lot of pain. It is sometimes one of the hardest decisions we have to make in our lives, but it is one we must make unselfishly - I think of all our pets give us over the years, the unconditional love and devotion. As I type this my new Irish Setter puppy is stretched out beside me - since I lost my Shepherd, she has been a Godsend to me. I wish your pet an easy and painless passage to pet heaven, where I know all of our beloved pets will be waiting at the gates of heaven for us when we depart this earth. My heart goes out to you.
Love
Kathy

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  2:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sherri, you have all my doggie-love and prayers! (My 13+ year-old golden retriever has really slowed down and has been struggling with the stairs for some time, so we've been having "that talk" quite often lately.) I wish comfort to your Ari as he comes to the end of what I'm sure has been a good, long, and happy life.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

Sunshine Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Wendy
Chesapeake VA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  4:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Sherri, Bless your heart. Our dog friends are our truest, most loyal friends on earth. I lost my golden of 14 years last November and it really broke my heart. I had rescued him from the pound and he never failed to show his gratitude every single day. I, too could not face the thought of putting him down as long as he wagged his tail and looked into my eyes. The day did come when he could no longer stand on his own or seem to know who I was. That was the worst decision I had ever had to make in my life. He suffered from an untreatable neurological disorder, but he rests now without pain. I know I will see him again someday, and until then he lives in my heart. You and Ari are in my thoughts and prayers.

"they say I've lost my mind....I think I've finally found it"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Prayers for my old dog.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page