LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  8:37:11 PM  Show Profile
So, apparently I have some poison ivy somewhere on our new property. I haven't found it yet, but it found me. There are just a couple of places on my arms, but it's been well over a week and it's still there and itching like crazy. It's dry now, so it's harder to resist the temptation to scratch. Any suggestions for how to get it to heal faster? Modern medicine doesn't seem to be clearing it up and there's no way I'm going for the steroid treatment again.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  04:41:37 AM  Show Profile
Ugh. I type 100+ words a minute. I typed out a reply, hit submit and lost my reply because I'd replied to something else less than 60 seconds ago. Apparently, "flooding" is a problem.

In a nutshell - mint soap (not detergent bar) made with mint essential oil should give you relief quickly.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Barn Goddess
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Mary Jane
Henry Virginia
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  6:38:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm very allergic to poison ivy/oak and always have been. As a child, my Mother mixed a little bit of Clorox (don't know how much) with water. It always did the trick. I also remember going to the beach as a kid with very bad poison ivy. A week swimming in salt water cured it. Now, when I get it I just live with it until it goes away on it's own.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  09:30:46 AM  Show Profile
We have so much poison ivy that we contemplated a poison ivy farm for a while!
Have you tried a product called "Tecnu"? It's used to wash the stuff off. And something called "CalaGel" (basically that is like Calamine lotion, but colorless). Both are available at drugstores. My husband uses both and it helps him to shorten the healing process. For me, it does nothing! I am just very carefull. I pulled out about 20 wheelbarrows full of the stuff and got "bit" twicee or so. When it got me, I apply liberal amounts of undiluted 100%essential lavender oil on it. (Caution: lavender oil is just about the only essential oil that you can apply to the skin in an undiluted state!)That works great for me. I also use it on fire ant bites, which we have plenty of. Good luck!

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  08:37:58 AM  Show Profile
Ever since I pulled some sassafras roots out to make tea for the kids not knowing I was in ivy roots I get the ivy.
Just had me some.It got so I couldn't put on shoes with the blisters.I just went to my homepathic doc for my the blisters on my feet. He put a drop of ivy oil on my tongue and I've been drinking the green plant juice chorophyll. It's all dried up.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  6:14:29 PM  Show Profile
Ellen, another good homeopathic remedy for poison ivy is rhus tox. I had some on my forearm (got it off the dog, of course) and the rhus tox under my tongue dried it right up.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Poison Ivy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page