Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  6:41:28 PM  Show Profile
I just learned that my poor sister-in-law was dianosed with shingles today. Does anyone know of an herbal supplement that might help her? I'm trying to look up info. on the internet on this subject but can't find much on natural remedies. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, Luzy

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  7:04:53 PM  Show Profile
Luzy, I've looked in a couple of my natural healing reference books. One recommends Vitamin E internally and topically to the lesions and a general multi-vitamin, B vitamin, Vitamin C and the amino acid lysine, which inhibits the spread. Another recommends drying out the lesions with hydrogen peroxide. To quelch the pain take a bag of ice and apply to lesions, even rubbing it over them. It's a starting point at least.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  7:21:08 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Clare. I'll make sure my sis gets this helpful information! Luzy
Go to Top of Page

Barn Goddess
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Mary Jane
Henry Virginia
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  7:29:28 PM  Show Profile
My husband just went through a very painful bout of shingles on his face. He was put on a couple of prescription drugs. They may or may not have helped because there is no cure. Most cases get better on their own within one or two weeks. I went to a health food store and asked about herbal remedies. She looked it up and said she didn't think there was any. He did use vitamin E topically on the lesions. I think that helped. The good news is only about 2% of people with shingles will get it again. I had a very mild case (no pain) on my arm several years ago. Evidently shingles on your face is about the worst place you can get it. I hope your sister gets better soon.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  03:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Luzy,
Topically, St John's Wort oil (AKA Hypericum oil) works extremely well for shingles pain. It is also strongly antiviral so it is effective in lessening the duration of this viral herpes zoster.
St John's wort oil is a tremendous help for any kind of nerve pain, including sciatica and pinched nerves in neck or back.The very best quality oil is brilliant red in color.
St John's Wort capsules or tincture taken internally could also help.

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  7:31:39 PM  Show Profile
I absolutely recommend the lysine. Shingles is from the varicella virus (chicken pox) which is basically a herpes virus. Lysine is well documented for helping to control herpes outbreaks (cold sores, genital, etc.). So my assumption is that lysine will help with the healing process in shingles. I wish I had thought of it this spring when my daughter had it, but we thought it was poison ivy until it was almost over. I even had the nurse look at it and that's what she said it was (P.I.). I believe lysine comes in a topical lotion as well as an oral pill.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  10:26:36 PM  Show Profile
Poor thing!

I got shingles right after having my second baby, It really hurts! They put me on Valtrex for it, which I thought from watching the commercials was only for genital herpies, so I was so embarrassed about filling the prescription that I decided to wear a short sleeve shirt in the middle of December so the pharmacist could see with his own eyes what I needed it for

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  12:36:54 PM  Show Profile
I got shingles last summer. I was nursing my daughter still, and so I chose not to take any medication for it (there are contraindications for taking the medications for pregnant/nursing mothers). From initial pain to final healing took just over two weeks. Shingles generally affects only one side of your body, sometimes the buttock and back/belly/trunk all at once, but usually just on the left or right half of the body. Most people will never have another outbreak. You cannot give shingles to someone, however you could give someone chicken pox if you have shingles. It is the same virus (herpes zoster), but manifests itself differently. For me it started with extreme back pain--I thought I had thrown out my back. I could hardly pick up my daughter, and she was only 5 months old. I got the lesions on my left side and the left side of my back. I found that frequent epson salt baths helped with the pain and helped dry out the sores. I also put Vit E on the sores, and took a lot of advil. I still have scars, but they are fading. My skin is still a bit tender on that side, and tends to dry out more, so I use a lot more lotion these days. Some people never have a problem again, and for others the pain never fully goes away, and can be debilitating.
Annie
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Shingles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page