JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  06:10:41 AM  Show Profile
I know we have some Kentucky girls here, so I'm hoping you can help me out.
The movie "Elizabethtown" has a lot of sentimental meaning for my husband and I, and last night when we were watching it for like the 100th time, my husband mentioned actually visiting Elizabethtown on a vacation this year. In the movie it seemed like a pretty small place - maybe not much to do. Does anyone know what it is like, and if it would be a good place to visit? Or has anyone stayed in the Brown Hotel in Louisville? Part of the movie takes place there.
We thought if it is a good place to see we might stop there on our way to Memphis, TN, which is also in the movie and where I have family.
And if you've never seen the movie, I can highly recommend it!

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  06:28:04 AM  Show Profile
Well, let's see...when I was a small girl, my godmother who lived in Grant County, Kentucky, would only do her "fine" shopping in Winchester or "E" Town as she called it. It's got a nice dowtown, and quaint shops...but I haven't been in a while. I know that there are b&b's and plenty to do in the surrounding areas, so I'm sure you'd find a lot to do.

Justin and I stayed at the Brown Hotel last summer for our anniversary. Lovely place, lovely staff. You just have to get used to people opening the doors for you all the time and saying "Have a wonderful day Mr. and Mrs. Lynch!" "Good Morning Mr. and Mrs. Lynch.." etc...it can be a little bit unnerving if you don't like a fuss, but I thought it was lovely for a weekend. When in Louisville, give Lilly's a shot for dinner. It's our favorite place to eat, focusing on regional/fresh ingredients. What she doesn't grow herself, she buys from local farmers and boutique farms and dairys.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  06:39:33 AM  Show Profile
Jess,
Google ELIZABETHTOWN, lots of info comes up.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  07:58:29 AM  Show Profile
JessieMae - I would ask Frannie - she lives not too far from there. I have only driven past Elizabethtown. And I've never watched the movie all the way through because it makes me mad in the beginning. It's a stupid reason to get mad, but they show him driving on the interstate and it's all different parts of Louisville that have been crammed together like it's one stretch of road an it's not. Because of that, I can't watch the movie. Really dumb reason to not like a movie, I know!

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
my Etsy shop: http://backwoodsjunction.etsy.com
The Catholic Wife (new apostolate website): http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  08:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like so much fun! If I ever get to go to Lexington for the Egyptian Event, I am going on a road trip!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  08:38:07 AM  Show Profile
CHILE .. I WAS TOLD (AND DOOOOOOOO BELIEVE) that most of Elizabethtown was NOT shot in E-town ... i don't remember where it was .. but it was a smaller (more quaint) town somewhere in Kentucky. I was speaking with someone FROM the town and was there when portions of it was shot.

I lived in Evergreen, Colorado .. and once saw a movie that was 'supposed' to be taking place there ... NOT!!!!!!!! They had our downtown sidewalks lined with outdoor cafes! (We usta' sit on the wooden stairs coming outta' the bakery and eat jelly donuts .. and that is about as close to 'side-walk' dining as they had!) And the homes were very 'yuppie' .. and much more of a 'flatlander' look. I do believe that hank and i had the privilege of living in Evergreen, Colorado at it's most wonderful time in history! So quaint .. lots of very famous country music and country rock bands played at the LITTLE BEAR .. you'd go in .. and it was like everyone was friends and family .. including the entertainers. They had no 'body guards' there and in those days!

JONNI .. the downtown 'quaint-shoppes' are all gone .. it's really mostly just 'strip-mall' shopping -- with the usual target, walmart, k-mart type shopppes. i really dont find any great clothing stores there. or wonderful little 'gift' shoppes with unique merchandise. there are pockets in louisville that are fun .. but (to me) it is just a big 'down-town' like many major cities. louisville serves a good purpose for US .. doctors, hospitals, BAXTER theatre, nice restaurants, some fun shopping (not my style of antiques shoppes that i've found though!) and BIGGER shopping malls. there are some fun 'events' to go to .. but again .. this is like most large cities in the country.

if you are looking for 'quaint', there are sleepy little towns all throughout kentucky ... some very small (like my very own wonderful hometown of Greensburg) .. we only have 'cabins' down by the river to stay in .. not hotels or motels .. of course, you and your honey are surely welcome to come stay at the historic log cabins of FREEDOM VALLEY FARM on your way to Tennessee.

RACHEL .. it's HOLLYWOOD gurlfren .. truly .. get past the crammed highway scene .. (and if you are from a REEEEEEEELY tiny town .. that stretch of road WILL look crammed to you). It's a sweet movie about 'family' .. which, of course, could be anywhere .. i'm sure someone liked the name of ELIZABETHTOWN (ha! and yes, most of the people I know do indeed refer to it as E-town (including me) .. and since they wanted it to be set in Kentucky .. that's why they gave it that town's name.

IF you are just passing through .. and want a delicious meal .. i would have suggested THE DEPOT in Glendale which is just off of I-65 (which i suppose you will be travelling down .. but it just caught fire last weekend and burned down!) The Whistle Stop Cafe is still there .. and it is also VERY CHARMING .. and there are several antiques shoppes in town (GREEN TOP being my most favorite .. tell them 'Frannie from Cabin Creek Farm' sent you). Whistle Stop is known all over Kentucky to have good food .. had my first Kentucky HOT BROWN sandwich there ... and deeeeeeeeeeelicious bean soup served with 'hoe cakes' and relish. (i think they just call it cornbread though!) but it looks like a flat pancake (HOE-CAKE) (bread baked on the end of a garden HOE over an outdoor fire! And there are several other really cute shoppes in town too. AND it is only a couple miles off your path to Tennessee (Nashville area though). The town is 'quaint' looking too. THAT would be my choice if you are looking for a 'quick stop'. BARDSTOWN would be my second choice .. BEST ANTIQUES SHOPPE in Kentucky (SUGARBUCKET) .. with a museum-quality antiques shoppe not too far away (Nettie Jarvis) ... LOVELY to visit! Stephen Foster's Olde Kentucky Home is there .. LOVELY!!!!!!!! you can tour the bourbon brewery's if that is your 'thang' . they are a VERY popular site with tourists .. there are some charming shoppes in Bardstown and very nice restaurants .. the log-cabin village and museums are my personal favs .. not to be missed! .. BEREA would be on my list too .. but further down. I like Berea .. but it is a little too 'artsy fartsy' in the stores department. Don't get me WRONG! it is WONDERFUL to visit and lots of fun hand-made shopppes (but i usually go there to hit one particular antiques shoppe). Some good restaurants in Bardstown too .. and if you have not seen an 'artists college community' .. it is a fun visit. We've been to some great banjo-pickin', fiddle-strummin' there too! And there are some charming out-lying B&B's there too!

hope all this helps you. remember .. these are 'frannie's choices' .. and other kentuckians may have other favorites .. xo

If you want to come to Kentucky for a visit .. I would suggest: Bardstown, Berea, Shakertown (Pleasant Hill),

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Feb 05 2008 08:42:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  08:40:26 AM  Show Profile
Jessie - here is a little surprise with that movie...it was barely shot in E-town. It was pretty much all filmed here in my little town of Versailles! In fact, the opening sequence is up and down our main street. They closed off mainstreet for two days of filming. It was a big deal here. Lots of Orlando Bloom & Kirsten Dunst sightings. Our town is quite small. We don't have a Walmart, just a Kmart and Kroger. We have several wonderful shops and are surrounded by wonderful horse farms. Down the road about 5-10 minutes down the beautiful countryside is Midway, Kentucky. They have all kinds of great shops and stores that showcase Kentucky fine arts and more.

Elizabethtown on the other hand is a much larger town...shopping centers and housing galore. Up the road in Bardstown, it is a small little town that is home of the famous "My Old Kentucky Home." The running joke is that one that gets married there won't be married for long. One of my best friends from college was from Bardstown.

More tidbits about the movie:
* They had to redo a lady's driveway so that the car would roll backwards. After the movie, they redid it again and made it back to what it was.
* Our beloved funeral home was used in the beginning.
* Ale-8-One is out of Winchester, KY and is one of Ky's popular drinks (not an alcoholic drink)
* E-town is not in the middle of Louisville & Nashville. It's about an hour from Louisville and several hours from Nashville.
* Paula Deen - the queen cook of the south! - is in the movie. I didn't see a stick of butter though in those recipes! haha
* The band playing Freebird at the end was My Morning Jacket out of Louisville.
* The Brown Hotel is a beautiful place and a lot of brides want to have their receptions there.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Farmgirl Sisterhood #137
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/

Edited by - kydeere40744 on Feb 05 2008 09:16:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  08:48:38 AM  Show Profile
Alee - Let me know if you do come over here for the Arabian Horse Event. We have a LOT of horse stuff going on and then in 2010 Lexington is hosting the World Equestrian Games. There will also be 2 weeks of concerts from some of the biggest stars in entertainment.

Farmgirl Sisterhood #137
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  08:56:09 AM  Show Profile
On a personal note, not to be a total dissenter, but, as a born and bred Kentucky girl...I've been to Bardstown many times, and each time I leave thinking the "antique" shop keepers are stuffy old bags who don't like to sell their "collections"...sorry if any are your friends, Frannie, but I found that if you look "slightly" different, they stick their little noses up and don't speak, or are just flat out rude. I found this so much so that I wrote the visitors board about it. Aside from a few good restaurants and the valuable history, on our well travelled map of Kentucky, written just below "BARDSTOWN" is "sucks" by my husband's own hand...

Sorry to hear about Elizabethtown's growth, but that happens--like I said, haven't been there in many moons. Some cities do it better than others and preserve the charm and put the sprawl on the outskirts.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  09:27:51 AM  Show Profile
When my DIL immigrated from Laos, they settled in Elizabethtown KY. Doesn't that seem an odd place to immigrate to? Is there a big Laotian population in KY?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  09:30:34 AM  Show Profile
I am like you Jonnie, Bards town is a beautiful place , But I took my grand daughters to My old KY home and I sure wouldnt pay to go back, The shops are stuffy no down home feelings there,I had lots rather go to my friends beautiful homes have a cup of coffee and go over old times

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  09:30:48 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if it was a church related thing, Sherri? A number of churches in smaller communities set up housing for the refugees from Yugoslavia and it's usually in smaller communities so that they can get settled and not be overwhelmed or lost in the shuffle of a large city. It would seem that someone from Laos might get really disassociated in say, Louisville, or Cincinnati and not make it, which isn't the point at all :)

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  09:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Wilma - have you ever been to Nonesuch to the Irish Acres Gallery of Antiques?? It's down the road from my house and has some wonderful little antiques in it and great food at their restaurant.

Farmgirl Sisterhood #137
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  10:17:54 AM  Show Profile
Wow, this has been interesting to read about Elizabeth Town,,,,my folks & I lived their for about 6months back in 1961 until my dad was able to get housing on base in Ft. Knox KY...
We actualy lived in a Trailer and I went to a little 2 story brick school,,,it's also where I got my 1st & only paddleing on the fanny behind the cloak room for not knowing my ABC's...The lady whose trailer we lived in was an artist, oil paints & had a grandaughter that was my only friend at the time since I was new in the community.
The lady had a large garden and she grew corn,,,at the time it was so cool to play in her garden & in twixt the corn stalks.
I will have to google "E Town" to see what it looks like now and i will have to check out the movie as well.
Thanx for the trip back through memory lane.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  10:29:38 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, regarding your DIL's immigration, I found the same thing to be true in Lancaster County, PA. There is a rather large population of immigrants there from Laos and Vietnam. I thought the same thing about what a strange place to come to from a foreign country, but a friend of mine told me that a lot of the Amish / Mennonite churches in the area had sponsored refugees from the war and resulting unrest. Maybe that's what happened in your experience.

Kind of a bummer that "Elizabethtown" wasn't shot in the actual town, although I kind of assumed there was some Hollywood magic going on there. I always wondered why Drew goes through Memphis on his way from Louisville to Oregon. That's about a 12-hour detour, round trip. Still, it's a favorite movie of ours. The scene is the kitchen when Drew first gets to Elizabethtown is EXACTLY what going to Missouri to visit my mom's family was like. Everyone knew me but I didn't know them, I was the "northern" cousin so everyone thought I was sort of exotic, and everyone was loud and talking at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  10:58:45 AM  Show Profile
Jessie - I remember watching the movie and had to giggle because the direction he points to on the map and then you see the "Lawrenceburg, KY" sign, he is going from Versailles to Elizabethtown East to West. When he does the opening sequence, you can tell that they filmed him going up and down the street, even though it is to look like he is going in one direction. They even put up signs to cover up anything related to Versailles.

In the movie Seabiscuit, it was filmed around Versailles and Lexington. They used Keeneland as the race track of the "great final scene." A couple of my buddies braved the horrible cold weather wearing thick jackets and hats to cheer on a horse again and again. They covered up anything that said Keeneland and replaced it with signs with the movie. Then Dreamer the movie was filmed down the road at Three Chimney's Farm as well. We had a big boom of movies being made here in Kentucky in the same area within a year or two. "Fire Down Below" staring Steven Segall was filmed here as well, but not too many people liked how Kentuckians were portrayed in it. Lots of horrible accents and stereotypes in that movie.

Farmgirl Sisterhood #137
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  11:23:54 AM  Show Profile
Jessie there are not many antique places around with a good rep for antiques that I haven t been to, Yes it is a great place to go, And when it comes to KY cooking its hard to beat, now if I want the best pies I would go to Indiana or Ohio, except for Jonnies SWEET POTATOE PIES

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  11:29:47 AM  Show Profile
Or to Miss Wilma's for those fried apple pies, right Jessica?! You're too sweet to me, Wilma :)

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  11:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
MMMMM, Jonni. Fried apple pies. I used to get those here in town at a great place called Catfish Haven. It's a fishing lake with a restaurant attached. Great folks run it. The mom of the owner's wife cooks and she had to stop making the fried apple pies because they didn't sell enough. :( I guess I just couldn't eat them fast enough or often enough to keep up with her! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  11:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh, boo, Janice. Of course they stopped making them! That sounds like a great spot to eat...and WHO wouldn't eat ALL the fried apple pies? Janice, you and I would probably be as big as houses if we were any more near each other!

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  12:09:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes - Jonni did you get to try Sterl's big biscuit? He makes the absolute BEST biscuit around. And I mean ONE huge biscuit! haha. And Wilma's strawberry jelly straight off the vine is something that I loved to eat while growing up. While in college, my fridge was full of those strawberry jelly jars.

Ya'll mentioned fried apple pies and Sonic now has those apple pie dipper thingies. They look good - nothing like Wilma's, but looks good to try.

Our favorite small town diner has closed up shop here. Really sad I have to say as we loved having breakfast there. I love small town restaurants. Nothing like em!

Farmgirl Sisterhood #137
Go to Top of Page

New England
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Hannah
Hardyville ky
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  6:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Jessie, this is Hannah...I forgot about NONESUCH Irish Acres Antiques! Is that not one of the 'best kept secrets'? We lived in Lexington and friends sent us there, well we rode and rode and decided the description of this place and the distance out into the country were not matching....all of a sudden there it was...it was AMAZING!! You can't describe it, can you? Now it's not Hannah's Primitive Wonderland but certainly to be appreciated.

BE SURE TO LOOK AT OUR NEW WEBB PAGE...Thanks and enjoy every minute of this day!! Hannah
http://www.picturetrail.com/HannahsFriends
Go to Top of Page

New England
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Hannah
Hardyville ky
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  6:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Wilma, you need to take a switch to Jessie mentioning Sonic 'dippers' and your fried pies in the same sentence!

BE SURE TO LOOK AT OUR NEW WEBB PAGE...Thanks and enjoy every minute of this day!! Hannah
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  7:09:37 PM  Show Profile
I've not been to Irish Acres, but have passed by on our travels down many country roads. I looked it up online and it appeared to be more formal antiques, is that right Jessie and Hannah? There's nothing wrong with that, but our little cottage can only take so much :)

Go to Top of Page

New England
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Hannah
Hardyville ky
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  7:42:57 PM  Show Profile
yes Jonni, Irish Acres is very formal and seems like I remember being told that they do alot of Interior Decorating for all the huge, formal homes in that area. Those of us who are die-hard country primitive just can't get into that and vs....always remembered doing a show in Virginia onetime and we had an absolutely wonderful early woodbox in orig. paint, never had one like it before. Well, along came this woman dressed to the 'nines' (does anyone know just what that means?) and we wondered why she was even looking at it...she bought it for her kid's for a toy box and asked Art if he thought it would look good painted blue? It was very expensive! But that is what people who like formal do with early, painted primitives....YIKES!

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  7:52:00 PM  Show Profile
Yep, that's what I remembered. Beautiful grand scale antiques for large planation style and victorian homes. Like I said, just not something this little cottage could contain :) I know what dressed to the nines means, and usually, all that glamour translates into "oblivious" Silly people wanting to paint things!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Elizabethtown, KY Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page