knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  07:54:53 AM  Show Profile
I have lived in Kentucky all my life but I swear I think I am going to have to get you to show me a tour of it. You know more about places to go and see than I do, or maybe I just need to get out more.
I really think between you, Miss Wilma and Hannah I could probably learn a lot about this beautiful state we live in.

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://KentuckyBackwoods.etsy.com

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  08:30:07 AM  Show Profile
oh kathy .. i have a funny story. after i'd lived here about 6 or 7 months .. i travelled over to Hodgenville (where abraham lincoln was born) .. next town over from me. (it's 15 miles from me) .. i was on my way to elizabethtown (30 miles from me) .. and stopped at a RITE AID .. asked the lady behind the pharmacy counter if she knew if "210" went from Cambellsville to Elizabethtown (with Hodgenville in the middle). She looked quizzically at me and replied: "you know .. i don't know .. let me ask the pharmacist") she called him over .. i repeated my questions .. he scratched his head and replied: "i've never been up 210 in that direction .. i honestly don't know if it goes to Elizabethtown". I swear .. i stood there with my mouth wide open! I thanked them and decided to try it (didn't have a kentucky map with me) ... i SWEAR .. i drove ONE BLOCK .. and there was a sign on 210 big as the sun that read: (ELIZABETHTOWN .. 10 miles!)

i 'bout wet my underoos laughing .. i turned around and drove back to the Rite Aid .. went to the Pharmacy and said: "O.K. .. ya'll GIT IN MY JEEP .. i'm gonna' take you to Elizabethtown via route 210 . .then i'm gonna' ride you all over these back-hills of kentucky and show you the sites! They just laughed and said they'd go with me if they didn't have to work!

I'm always buying books about little towns in Kentucky (just got two wonderful ones from 1969 telling about the COUNTIES of Kentucky .. was THRILLED to see that i had been to over half the places mentioned .. and actually knew several people mentioned in this 1969 book.

When i first moved here .. i would visit every little 'general store' i could find .. sit down at a table with farmers and sometimes their wives .. and introduce myself .. tell them that Kentucky was now my home and i would love to learn about their lives here. GOSH .. i met so many wonderful people .. many of whom i am proud to call 'friend'.

i love HISTORY .. and the stories of people (no matter where they are from .. city or country) and i find you learn a lot from books .. but my favorite stories have always come from people.

there are some people from 'off' that do not like living in Kentucky .. (as would be true all over the United States) .. i believe they bring their personal unhappiness with them. i ADORE my adopted home-state .. and if you adore something .. make time to get to know it (ha! same's true for adorin' and gittin' to know people you like a lot).

chile .. you come visit Green County for a day or three .. and we'll plan a gurlfren trip from Ashland to Paducah! xo, frannie

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ya' know Miss Frannie Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic