Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 PHOTOS, Pleasant Hill (Shakertown) Enjoy!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic PHOTOS, Pleasant Hill (Shakertown) Enjoy!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  06:22:07 AM  Show Profile

This is where we stay when we go there

Well, I'm finishing up my last hours here in front of the roaring fire..it's mild in Kentucky today, but we're having a fire anyway! Gotta carry that wood smoke smell home with us to remind us of our nice trip, and our stay in this lovely house from 1812, with slanting wide planked floors. We've had such a lovely time, the weather has been perfect for traipsing about all over these hills. We went hiking yesterday and forded rapidly rushing Shawnee Creek (Jus ALMOST bit it) and saw beautiful birds and wildlife all around. Later, I got chased by heirloom turkeys, but that's a WHOLE other story. I think they thought I had food

We ate at our favorite spot in Harrodsburg, Aunt Gravies, and if you EVER get to this little burg, you have to eat there. Good ole homecookin at its best, and the nicest proprietors you'd ever meet. They remember us every time we come in--we're the folks from the city, ya know :)

I've always thought that the animals here were magical. Heirloom breeds that you just don't see anywhere else...but yesterday, I was writing in my journal, all the herbs in the medicinal/herb garden (which I planned to share in the herbal wisdom thread) when all of the sudden, this black and white tom-cat appeared right before me, without merely a mew. I was so engrossed in what I was writing, I didn't even see him tiptoe up...but then I noted he was sitting on a rather large stone--a gravestone in fact, erected and inscribed with the name of a former feline friend, "Mischief" and is date of death. It was like he was saying, "Alas, we don't get ten lives...". And then after a few minutes of following me around, rubbing his cheeks on the wintered herbs, he walked away.

I took some wonderful photos (I think) and I will post some to share the beauty here. I think I'm going to make them into my own personal stationary if they turn out. And one in particular our Christmas card for next year. The fire is heating up nicely now. I'm going to drink a cup of coffee and sit down with Justin...

Sad to go home, happy to see my pet clan. Wish they could come here and we could simply stay forever!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Feb 03 2008 1:11:06 PM

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  06:30:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh gosh Jonni, it sounds magical, almost like an enchanted cottage. I am looking forward to seeing your photos.

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://KentuckyBackwoods.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

New England
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Hannah
Hardyville ky
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  06:38:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jonni, couldn't help ask about AUNT GRAVIS restaurant....Harrodburg is one of the places where we never can find a place to have lunch. Can you tell me where it is? We go up that way about once a month. Thanks!
Also, I assume you stayed at Pleasant Hill...have to ask if you experienced any 'ghostly' activity, seriously, they are known for it. I also understand that a book is being written about that for South Union Shakers museum.

Did you eat at the Trustees building at PH?

HANNAH

BE SURE TO LOOK AT OUR NEW WEBB PAGE...Thanks and enjoy every minute of this day!! Hannah
http://www.picturetrail.com/HannahsFriends
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  07:41:09 AM  Show Profile
Jonnie so glad you had a good time, It couldnt have been for a sweeter couple, Tell Justin I just love , love , love my cd, girls you just got to get this no 6 is precious

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  07:50:54 AM  Show Profile
oh jonni darlin' .. sounds like you had lotsa' fun. sometimes it is good to hang out at an historical site .. in front of a fire .. soaking up all the history and flavor or a place.

IF you didn't get to eat there .. do treat yourselves to dinner at the beautiful historical BEAUMONT INN .. up at the top of the hill and around the corner of Main Street:

"One of the first things that come to mind when Kentuckians think of Harrodsburg is the Beaumont Inn. The Inn has been operated in the grand southern tradition by the Dedman family since 1919. It is a must for first time visitors and regulars alike. The building, built in 1845, was originally used as a "school for young ladies" and is one of 50 structures and 8 historic districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Harrodsburg."

I discovered Aunt Gravies and the Beaumont Inn on my very first trip ever ever ever to Kentucky when i came here to take a week-long Primitive Rug Hooking class at Shakertown and to buy Freedom Valley Farm. We stayed at Shakertown in their peaceful pristine rooms .. and oh my .. read about my adventure there that i wrote yesterday about that!!

AND .. be sure to visit Old Fort Harrod State Park .. It's one of my mos' favorite places in the area! Perhaps you have been there already .. even so .. it is worth a trip over and over and over again! Google Old Fort Harrod State Park for more photos and lotsa' information!

can hardly wait to see your photos! glad to have you back home gurlfren! xo, frannie

p.s. LOVED your 'kitty' story. those are the moments that make life so awesome!

i can hardly wait to go there for Valentine's Day!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Feb 03 2008 07:52:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  12:21:33 PM  Show Profile
Well, alas, we're home...it's good and bad, ya know? I always feel the euphoria draining away from me as we get further and further up the Kentucky river. We alwasy take a different way back home, and this time was no different. Such a nice day today!!!

Hannah, I know what you mean about Harrodsburg! There just REALLY isn't anything around, and Sunday? Forget it! Aunt Gravies in on East Office Street, (859) 734-2151
419 E Office St to be exact. It's on a back street, so not "on the main drag, per se, but VERY easy to get to none the less. Hannah, the biscuits are the best I have EVER had, and I love biscuits, so you know I've had a few! You can also have brown beans and cornbread (out of this world!) We ate last night at the Ole Owl Pub, which is the little pub connected to the Beaumont Inn (Frannie, incidentally, I've been eating at the Beaumont since I was 6 or so..we always had Thanksgiving there, and met friends during Keeneland--it's gotten a lot less stuffier since Harrodsburg can drink at dinner now!!!) The pub has good food, reasonably priced, pretty good service but crowded. They DO, however serve dinner until 10:00 which is a boon for Harrodsburg. There is also, right dowtown, on the street where Mercer Music used to be (sadly, those old gentleman have closed their business) a coffeshop/cafe type place which was open last night at 9:15 when Jus and I headed back to Pleasant Hill, and I meant to remember the name..but didn't.

We stay in the Old Ministry Shop at Pleasant Hill, which is near the Winter Kitchen, and the back part of the village. I'm going to get busy and post some photos :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Feb 03 2008 1:13:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
You make me want to move to Kentucky!!! It is so beautiful...thank you for sharing!!! I love the cat!!! And the cow is priceless!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  1:56:18 PM  Show Profile
very pretty area! makes me want to visit.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  4:45:54 PM  Show Profile
Love the photos Jonni! The cow one is just hilarious...watch out "mad cow!" Now I'm itching to get down there again. I'm so glad that you guys had a great time down there. :)

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  4:55:02 PM  Show Profile
fabulous photos jonni .. you could do a 'book' with them!!! is beaumont only open for dinner? that would be a great place for breakfast .. lunch .. or dinner .. we've only had dinner there on several occasions. is that a pic of your honey hunk i take it? where's YOU!! and of course, you can always eat AT shakertown for daily meals. in good weather .. there are so many wonderful areas (under the big osage tree is one of my favorite places!) for a picnic!

did you get to the little 'antiques/book' shoppe on main street? i didn't know that harrodsburg had gone 'wet' .. or is it just the beaumont that was allowed an exception?

glad you kids had a wonderful and memorable adventure! xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  4:55:54 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful photos, Jonni! What a lovely weekend you must have had. I love those historic places out in the country. I, too, loved that cow picture...like she was speaking to you! lol :)

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  4:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Loved the kitty sitting on the "Mischief" headstone!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  5:41:47 PM  Show Profile
WOW JONNI THOSE ARE GREAT PICTURES. Makes me want to go there.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

New England
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Hannah
Hardyville ky
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  7:30:26 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, your photos are absolutely wonderful and for those who have yet to have the opportunity to go to Pleasant Hill, well - I can tell you that Jonni has captured the simplicity and beauty of this very special Shaker Museum. I can read just how much you appreciate what is there.

Thanks for the recommendation of Aunt Gravies, it's sounds perfect for those impromptu antiquing trips up that way, have already put the directions in our traveling notebook and look forward to stopping.

HANNAH

BE SURE TO LOOK AT OUR NEW WEBB PAGE...Thanks and enjoy every minute of this day!! Hannah
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  10:33:08 PM  Show Profile
{sigh} it looks simply divine. So glad that you had a good time, Jonni and thanks for sharing.

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  01:26:20 AM  Show Profile
seeing those pictures makes me want to pack up my bags and move there.... it looks like a piece of paradise on earth... so peaceful.

visit me at my blog
mousiesmom.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  05:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
How fun! I especially love Mischief and the cat on top :-p fun fun!!!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  05:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful pics Jonni! I love that cat sitting on the kitty friend's grave.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  07:00:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh.....such beautiful photos. Hats off to the photographer!

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  07:10:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you girls enjoy the photos. It's REALLY easy to take them there because it's just so stunning. EVERYWHERE you look is something that takes your breath away. Yes, Frannie, that's Justin trying NOT to fall down in the Shawnee Run. Swift currents this time. Sometimes there's very little water at all. The photographer NEVER gets their picture taken

A few years ago, my husband was trying to get "his headspace" right for recording a new cd (the one Wilma has) and he took his band and their spouses, kids, etc...and we, all of us, rented a 4 bedroom house at Pleasant Hill with a communal kitchen, double parlors and large farm table. I was very nervous because these are "band" people and well, just because Justin and I love Pleasant Hill, that doesn't mean they would, too....well, what a transformation in these 3 men and their spouses and the relationships between them!!! It was like magic--as soon as the crossed the palisades on the Kentucky River, all of the "goo" from the real world simply melted away. While the guys played music all day, the girls did what we wanted, shopping in Bardstown, Lexington, what have you and then at night, we all cooked dinner and sat down to more music and fun. We all spent downtime flying kites, and reading, or writing or hiking, and when the long weekend was over, it was quite literally like someone had died--these people who are used to fast paced city life quite literally cried while leaving, hugging each other, making promises to return soon, and felt gloomy for a week when they returned to Cincinnati.

So, Pleasant Hill can really turn your life around, I think

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  10:41:43 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful photos, Jonni. Thanks for sharing your weekend with us.

You know, I keep reading from you and others about how talented your DH is, musically, but girlfriend, you take my breath away with your photography!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  11:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Beautiful photos, Jonni. I've never been there and lived in KY all my life. It's sure on my list now! Miss Wilma's right about Justin's CD. It's on my permanent play list as I drive to and from the farm in Irvington(an hour each way). It's in the top three, along with Levon Helm's new 'Dirt Farmer' cd and the 'Best of the Band'. So he's in heady company!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

New England
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Hannah
Hardyville ky
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  12:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I finally remembered to mention to Art about eating at Aunt Gravies next time we go up that way and he quickly said "we've eaten there"! He remembers EVERYTHING - I have a SELECTED memory. He mentioned we ate there a few times when we would go to that antique mall that was housed in an old school there on that little side road - do you remember that mall? I can tell you everything I bought and didn't buy there but didn't remember the (name) of the restaurant but I did remember eating there... I immediately told him we had pork chops the first time we went and he agreed! And at that time we had lived in the Low Country of Charleston, SC and ate at so many country type places and we were looking for Kentucky HotBrowns and Bourbon Chicken!!
I think we've managed to find every popular restaurant in south central Ky and more, except for the cities...we just are not city folks. We did live in Lexington about a year, across from Bella Notte' (sp) so of course we ate there repeatedly along with several other favorites in the area. We use to like Marys out in western Ky with the 12" (just kidding) pork chops but they WERE thick.... that little village grew into a tourist mecca so we stopped going.
Friends here in town tell us we've traveled more in Kentucky in the years we've lived here than most natives have all their lives. We've done that in every place we've lived, we were always so excited to live in a new state, states we never thought we would even visit. I can hear someone asking if we had a favorite....I'd have to say it was Vermont. The first year Art fulfilled his wishes of working for a family owned maple sugar/syrup operation, the second year as a logger on one of the skiing mountains and the next year we were both working at the Vermont Country Store, also daughter Kathleen...she was not old enough to work but the Orton Family would allow all employees children to work in the store and treated as 'Orton Family' as they felt that is how children develop strong work ethics, to start when they are young. And that was true...to this day our daughter will mention something she learned years ago at the Vermont Country Store and never forgot it. (the kids worked as store runners, sweepers etc.) Now, Aunt Gravies is a long way from the Vermont Country Store so I guess I got carried away just now.
I love when one event triggers the memory to several others. HANNAH

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  12:50:44 PM  Show Profile
What a beautiful place. What's up with the stone walls set at a slant? Is that a special Shaker way of doing things? Glad you had such a nice weekend trip.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  1:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Aww. Jo that was so very sweet...like I said, tis not hard to take a good picture when the subject is SO gorgeous!!! Janice and all the other Kentucky girls who've never been, I say we meet up there one day and tour the grounds, hike, etc...It's such a lovely experience, and one that I take with me all day long when I get back to the "real world".

Ah ha! You've eaten at Aunt Gravy's, Hannah! Great! Must have been a heck of a shopping trip if you remember the purchases over the food :) I, unfortunately or fortunately, always remember food wherever I am...my husband, who is a stick (Wilma can vouch) always laughs because I dictate where we visit and always have our dining worked out before we get there. What can I say? I love food! We find little to eat in Lexington proper except for Ramses, and the Flagg Fork Cafe which I adore but Jus finds a bit too "girly"....um, also there is very little meat, so it actually may be that! The Atomic Cafe used to be good but the last few times we've been there, it was marginal at best...Al La Lucie was decent, but not for the finicky eater or non adventurous palate (like my husband :)). He's happiest at Aunt Gravies, for sure! We really like the winter kitchen at Pleasant Hill for lunches--they have lighter fare, because even though the dinner menu is delightful, I can't eat all that "family" style food, so often, we eat lunch at Pleasant Hill and one night go to dinner and the other keep leftovers (usually fried chicken and biscuits from Aunt Gravies)

Amie--the slanted stone wall is the only version of it's type at Pleasant Hill-the rest are the "norm". They believe it was set by a Scot who had joined the sect in the mid 1800's.

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  1:40:13 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful Photos Jonni! Hubby & I took a trip to PH YEARS ago...It was one of the neatest places I've ever been. The whole area is gorgeous. There is a little Inn, near Bardstown (?), called Doe Run. Very charming, and wonderful meals served on a screened porch overlooking the creek. Frannie has been there. Anyone in the area should look it up too.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us Jonni. It sure "took me back".

Rhonda

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic PHOTOS, Pleasant Hill (Shakertown) Enjoy!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page