jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  6:18:56 PM  Show Profile
Susan, If you want to hold a job, the thumb is especially hard hit right now economically. Of course, it depends on what you ae looking for as well. Land prices have gone right up along with the rest of the country, but you can still find a farmstead that is quiet and since no highways to speak of come into the thumb it will stay pretty sleepy for years to come. That was one of the draws for us, envisioning what would develop in the next twenty years. The downside is that we have huge deer populations here and they are very large. They eat well on fields of crops and because of thier size seem to be able to clear any fencing. Amsih families found this area about 15 years ago and have moved into the area quite well. I am a translant but gladly call this home, it is a little flat in areas, but we live in a glcial meltdown pocket so we have a wonderful rock filled valley.
Your babysitting job sounds daunting, and hope you survived well, good luck in your decisions! Jenny
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  10:18:33 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,
Welcome to you in Michigan from me out here in Washington.I have a daughter in Wisconsin near the border of Minnesota. They are very close to lake Superior and get a lot of snow in the winter. Do you get a lot of snow too? They are currently living with minimal grid. They have a single electric line to their yurt that they built themselves and have a web site that has a section showing the process of building it from scratch in the middle of winter. It is at www.foursongs.com and click on owner built yurt.
We will be driving out to see them this week.
Melissa, I love Andy Goldsworthy!! We just found a copy of the film Rivers and Tides on dvd at our library. I saw it when it was in our local theater and loved it. The dvd will become one of our own library as it is wonderful. Any one who loves nature will love this film.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  07:51:02 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Jenny. You're place sounds just lovely and perfect for you. I will "file" the information for further contemplation; the work issue is important, so this may not be the place for me. The border collie sitting job went fine. I have aussies myself; would not own a bc unless I lived out in the country! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Canadian Cowgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Tova
Grafton Ontario
Canada
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  08:20:12 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jenny,
I would love to see pictures of your stone creations. I too am an Andy Goldsworthy fan. There are several gorgeous photo books of his work (many of which are featured in Rivers and Tides). You can buy them new or used from Indigo online at http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/default.asp?Lang=en&Section=books&Ntt=andy+goldsworthy
Tova
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  7:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Tova, thanks for the link, i have seen some of goldsworthy's work before, and i think i will purchase the book for inspiration. How wonderful he is! I haven't got any pictures of my work as of yet, but i want to very badly. I have so much more to do on my walls, and it is painstakingly slow work, but I was driving slowly today, scouting for some flat stones that i can incorporate into the top of the wall. There is a website that features some artists in our area, one of which works in ston.I am on there as jennifer lester. The site is www.ruralartisans.com. I do the recylced artwork.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  07:01:19 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jenny!! Wow sounds like you do a lot around your place. That's wonderful. I'm getting ready to move to a place with 40 acres and cannot wait so I can expand my garden and get a few animals. Sounds like you'll fit right in here!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic just joined! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page