jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  02:40:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi! My name is Jenny and i live in michigan, in the thumb area. I live on a small hobby farm, about 40 acres, and raise sheep, llamas, chickens, ducks, bunnies, and goats. I have fun with fiber, spinning, and weaving and felting, and i shear my own critters the old way using hand shears. I also live with three dogs, one of which is a working border collie, and my right hand gal. My hubby lives here too, doesn't particularly deal with animals but is a whiz at building and fencing!
I have made my living as a grower of produce for markets, as an artist, and currently as a cook for a county program. I love them all and feel lucky to have been able to try my hand at several vocations. Now I am working on my certification as a massage therapist and will get back to the art work as well. Playing with fiber remains a constant pleasurable pastime, and I shear for demonstration at a historic site nearby, twice a year. I still have a condensed version of garden space, (down from the seven acres I used to put in), and am working on increasing my orchard.
I also love to build dry walls with stone. We have been blessed with all sizes of stone on this property, and when we moved in about 15 years ago, i started stacking and learning about gravity centers, etc. So far, I have built 3 walls around the house and am working on enclosing the gardens. I do this in the spring and fall when i can get to rocks out in the fields easily, and it is a very slow process! I wear out more gloves doing the work, and the bottom of my wheelbarrow is showing signs of extreme usage, but I absolutely love the result and feel so good doing the labor. I was finding large stones with one flat surface, so i dug them into the soil in an area in front of our house, and every year it got bigger, until now we have an eight foot by fifteen foot stone entry area. I found some fun alpine plants and mosses to fill cracks, and it looks like it has been here a hundred years.
We have also experimented with living 'off the grid' We were able to do that for three years, and it was a blast! Now we are back on line with conveniences and all, but keep it to a minimum, trying to live simply.
I am happy to see a site like this with folks of like interests, and look forward to the interaction. Life is wonderful and possibilities are endless!Jenny

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  05:50:56 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, Welcome to like minded women. This is a wonderful place to get to know all of us and share in each others lives.

What a talented and interesting person you are. I enjoyed reading all about your farm and the different areas you are growing and teaching. Sounds like a piece of heaven to me.

I am a dislocatred farm girl at heart. Rasied on a farm and have been in the city for too many years. The farm roots are still there, that is why this website warms my heart.

Again, welcome--we are a friendly bunch of women.

Linda H
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  05:54:26 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jenny Louise. Your farm and your life sounds very creative and full of energy! So glad to have you here! And you must have a very strong back! :)
jpbluesky
heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  06:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Hi Jenny, I'm Julia F. from Oregon and a newbie also. I loved reading about your interests! I'm a fiber aholic(is that a word?)LOL, and love spinning and felting although I'm new at both. Welcome and I look forward to getting to know you!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  07:37:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny-
Your farm sounds wonderful. My 10.5 acres on the other side of the lake in Wisconsin also yields lots of wonderful rocks. For now, I've been lining the edge of the garden in the yard with them, but someday I hope to need help with a wall project like yours!

Enjoy the site -- you'll be glad you got back online.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  12:39:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome everyone, it is going to take awhile to look through all of the topics, this is a great place to come at the end of a work day! I am so looking forward to meeting and getting to know as many of you as i can!
Julia, glad you spin and play with fiber, it is a very rewarding and enjoyable skill. Makes Christmas a little less expensive, and everyone seems to appreciate homespun/handmade.
Cathy, stones are wonderful!! Sounds like a great start with your edging, good luck with more projects!
Jenny
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  4:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny!! How fun..now there are at least 4 of us (Jennys) in the group. You sure like alot of the same things as I do. I am happy to hear of someone else who shears by hand. I do too. I only have 5 sheep right now..and not nearly as much property as you....sounds like a great place. I love to spin too..sure is fun.
Wow the stones sound great.
I have 3 dogs too! And a fencing husband..haha
I bet you will have alot of info to offer us..you sound great..I am sure glad you found us!!! Welcome to the group!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  03:31:25 AM  Show Profile
Utah Jenny, seems we do have alot in common. Wonderful to meet a fellow hand shearer, isn't it great? Do you have a stand or do you hold them. I used to hold them as I sat on a hay bale or a 5-gallon bucket turned upside down, but this year i received a stand that ws designed for sheep. I kind of like holding them, as they would always fall asleep while I sheared them, and the comment was always made during demos that i must have drugged them or killed them before I began shearing!
I am up to about 30 sheep now, and have a nice breeder for this fall, so I will have even more next season. I sell some every year, and I realy should curtail the population, but I try a different color ram each fall, and it is so interesting to see what comes in the spring. Plus I have crossed a couple of breeds to see what fiber I get, but i love the shetland the best so far for spinning.
Thanks for the warm welcome, Jenny
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  05:59:52 AM  Show Profile
I am crossing the icelandic ewes with a new churro ram this year..he is moorit with a little white spotting and they are a moorit and a black. I have an icelandic/jacob cross ewe that is black and white spotted that I may keep too. I am trying to be down to 3 ewes and a ram by fall. I have an angora goat doe too that I shear..she lives with the sheep...my last ewe is a grey Icelandic cross that I traded for the new ram...she is leaving soon. I would like to get a shetland ewe sometime. Love the soft fiber. I don't have a white sheep at all..that is my next sheep "wish". I only had a white ewe once and she was my first sheep....a cross bred that had awful wool..you live and learn.
I use a stand now but used to hold them too..they do sure relax, don't they? Wow, 30! Do you shear twice a year? I do. ..so I am planning on shearing in about a month or so.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  09:14:22 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer, welcome your farm sound so lovely. Do you know about the artist Andy Goldsworthy? He builds a lot of his work from rocks, using gravity. He makes the most amazing art, he's probably one of my fav. artist. He's just so unique, he work just blows you away,especially when you find out how he created the sculpture and what went into it. I'll try to find a website for everyone to check out, But there's a documentry about him called Rivers and Tides, just in case anyone wants to check him out.
Well I just tryed to find a good website to show him off, but I didn't find really anything good, so you'll just have to rent the movie. Anyway Welcome, welcome!

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  09:43:27 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jenny! I am another Julia from Oregon, who is also a fiber lover (Julia, Maybe we are long last twins). I have a pile of rocks that were originaly put around an asparagus bed. We didn't know that rocks were there till my husband was tilling the ground by it so we could put a veggie bed in. Over time the rocks had sunk into the ground and were grown over by grass. So I dug them all up. Some of them were HUGE. So the pile now sits in the yard in a heap, but now I feel inspire to do something with them. Anyway, welcome, glad to have you with us! Simply, Julia

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  10:12:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone, and utah jenny-i sure do wish we were closer, I would gladly trade a sheep for wares of some sort. I do have too many, but it is so hard to decide which should go unless of course they were to go to a really good home. I have a white ram this year that i am breeding in. Isn't it something that these wonderful wild breeds come in so many shades of colors that white becomes the rarity? Only trouble is that this boy is the biggest stinker I have ever had on this place! I kind of hate to breed in ornory but it is the nicest white fleece as well.
I shear once a year,for each sheep, but all at different times because of demos, so i shear some for me to take to the processor, and then a big three day spring demo, and then a two day demo in the fall. I have a neighbor with sheep that i shear for too, but i keep the wool from that for payment. Good luck on your shearing.
Melissa, I will have to look into that movie or film!!! Sounds quite inspiring and one more thing I am sure I will want to try. I love to play with natural and recycled materials. I have fun making trellises from old parts I find, and I tend to get carried away and they are pretty big. I learned to weld and it is really wonderful to go to the junk yard and put together fun sculptures. Time to try everything is what I am short of, like so many of us. Thanks for the artists name, I am anxious to locate info.
Julia, and julia, you guys could get together and play with wool! I hope you get going on something that will get you going on more, julia. I like making something of stone because I like to think it is something of a legacy that I will leave. I look at stone homes and am so awed by the strength and life they excude...something about taking a non pliable thing and creating with it, not needing to be a skilled artist, like a fine sculptor. I am off to collect some more stones today, just got home from work, and then to the vet's to take one of the dogs in. But the weather has cooled somewhat and it makes me want to get at it again. Not too long and everything will be frozen in and outside work will diminish. Except for the barn cleaning, of course, and hauling feed and such.
Talk with you all later,love and light, jenny
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  5:20:28 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jenny!
What an inspiration you are - I bet your place is gorgeous! And you have obviously found your "spot" here. I look forward to hearing more about what you're doing, & how you organize your time there on your farm. I am quite certain I have lots to learn from you.
And Melissa - I was so happy to see someone else who like Andy Goldsworthy!! He is also one of my all time favorite artists. I am lucky enough to live 10 minutes from one of his installations @ Stanford University, called Stone River. It is so beautiful. I love just sitting there for a couple of hours, especially in the long light of late afternoon. I bet you'd like it, too. And Jenny, you'd admire the workmanship on those walls....... :)
Go to Top of Page

mamamia
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Cher-Ami
Toquerville UT
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  08:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see mamamia's MSN Messenger address  Send mamamia a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone! My name is Cher-Ami. I probably won't get mixed up with too many Cher-Ami's. I live in Utah and am homeschooling. I recently separated from my husband and due to unfortunate circumstances just lost my farm that I loved dearly. My horses found a great place to live as well as one dog and the chickens. I was able to keep a few of my other (four legged) kids and started a new garden here at my mom's. I dream of the day when I can create another beautiful farm of my own. It's alot of hard work but so worth it. It's the best environment I could imagine for my daughter. I haven't quite figured out how to juggle homeschooling, working and saving for my own place yet. I would also like to start my own homeschool group soon.
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  09:01:19 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jenny. Wow! You have some awesome talents! I am looking forward to hearing more of your farmgirl adventures as this city girl considers a move back to my home state of Michigan.

Thanks for joining!
Susan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  09:13:47 AM  Show Profile
Cher-ami..you are right...I am quite sure you are the only one in this group with your name..haha Glad to see someone else from Utah. Is Toquerville in the northern part? I have heard the name, but havn't passed it in my travels..which usually means low or high in the state..I am in the middle..in Manti. I have been where you are now (divorce and like that!!) and I know you will make good out of it..it is hard for awhile though..you will be in our thoughts and prayers for sure. What sort of goats do you have? I have Saannens and one angora doe. Your daughter is so lucky to have you!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

mamamia
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Cher-Ami
Toquerville UT
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  10:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Click to see mamamia's MSN Messenger address  Send mamamia a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

Cher-ami..you are right...I am quite sure you are the only one in this group with your name..haha Glad to see someone else from Utah. Is Toquerville in the northern part? I have heard the name, but havn't passed it in my travels..which usually means low or high in the state..I am in the middle..in Manti. I have been where you are now (divorce and like that!!) and I know you will make good out of it..it is hard for awhile though..you will be in our thoughts and prayers for sure. What sort of goats do you have? I have Saannens and one angora doe. Your daughter is so lucky to have you!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

mamamia
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Cher-Ami
Toquerville UT
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  10:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see mamamia's MSN Messenger address  Send mamamia a Yahoo! Message
Hi Aunt Jenny. Toquerville is about 18 miles NE of St. George. There isn't much here. We have a tiny post office and one Bed and Breakfast. It's a pretty little town. I don't have any goats just a pony, cats, a dog and a bunny now.
Thank you for your reply. I look forward to chatting with you again.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  11:29:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh duh...I saw 4 legged kids and thought goats automatically...silly me!Someone like me with so many 4 legged kids of all varieties should know better!!! So you are only about 3 hours south of us I guess. How neat. WE are getting more and more Utah gals..but most not closeby so far..if you ever get up this way it would be fun to meet. Toquerville sounds cute. Manti isn't very big either...3,000...and I think it is a really pretty town too. I didn't grow up here..only have been here 3 years..never want to live anywhere else from now on though!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  1:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Cher-ami, Get ready for fun, information, encouragement, and lots of laughter! Good to have you on board. Julia

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  3:33:08 PM  Show Profile
Susan, what part of michigan do you hail from? Were you in the city here , or in the country? I hope you won't regret the decision if you move back.
Cher-Ami, welcome, and keep your chin up. Dreams are meant to come true, especially when your heart is in them. Have you ever thought of community living? I have often, but my DH isn't into it. I have always thought that it would be a wonderful way to be able to live in a farm setting especially with children, as long as you are amongst people with like minds.
I have been busy with working lately and have had rats move under the chicken coop!!! Yuck. My border collie has gotten two of them and now they are in hiding, so i did put poison in the burrows, or runs, I should say. No evidence of success yet. Any suggestions? My coop has a cement floor, and the stinky critters have burrowed right under so I can't dig them out. I have Jack russells also, but they won't come back out if they go in, and one of them is 14 years old so i don't want to let her go down. Got to go and get dinner on, love and light, jenny
Go to Top of Page

phillytoo
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Phyllis
Canton MI
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  4:21:58 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by sqrl

Jennifer, welcome your farm sound so lovely. Do you know about the artist Andy Goldsworthy? He builds a lot of his work from rocks, using gravity. He makes the most amazing art, he's probably one of my fav. artist. He's just so unique, he work just blows you away,especially when you find out how he created the sculpture and what went into it. I'll try to find a website for everyone to check out, But there's a documentry about him called Rivers and Tides, just in case anyone wants to check him out.

Thank you for sharing this title. I just looked it up at our library's website and plan to check it out right away.
Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  09:07:09 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I grew up on 20 acres north of Grand Rapids and just south of Rockford (think Wolverine Shoes) and moved away in '72 It was just on the edge of the burbs then but still very sleepy. It's very different now - strip malls, etc. My husband's family lives near Gaylord.

Besides doing away with rats, do your border collies help you around the farm with chores?
Have a great day, Susan

Go to Top of Page

Katie Anne
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Taylorsville North Carolina
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  09:30:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!
I've been a Mary Jane fan since finding her magazine in the organic section last year.
I am a transplanted Iowan in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and hang on tightly to my farmgirl ways. My parents left the family farms to teach and be activists in the "big city" but my very large extended family made me into a farmgirl anyway. So now I have grown up to become a Farmgirl Activist!
My husband and I live on one rural acre, just big enough for organic flower and vegetable gardens. Luckily we are close to orchards and vineyards that allow us to be constantly making beer, wine, and mead. I work for a local Soil and Water District and love the rural community. I'm excited to be a new member here!
Katie Anne
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  12:27:14 PM  Show Profile
Susan, Yes my girl border is my right arm! She will gently round up a stray chicken or aggresively control a full sized ram. I didn't know it when i got her, but there are two lines from what I understand. One is a cow line and the other a sheep line. The sheep line will go to the back of a critter instinctively, and a cow line dog will go to the head or face. I have a cow line dog and it is her natural instinct to latch onto a critters face or front. But she will gently work for me when I am out there.
I have to keep her inside when I don't want her to work, as she will run up and down the fencelines constantly, be it the chicken yard, sheep pastures, or goat pens. Right now, i have 3 month old chicks in a seperate chicken tractor, so my dog stays right there watching them for hours. I also leave her out at night to protect the chick pen. She lays right next to it and stays all night long. She sleeps by day under the kitchen table. I will get another one for my girl to help train when she is about ten years old. I couldn't do all of this work without her.
I guess the worst thing she does that I cannot break her of, is pulling a tail plug out of the chickens when she helps me. If a chicken gets out, and Irene,(my dog)is rounding them up, she will be ever so gentle until I get to her and reach for the chicken. Then she grabs the tail, whole, and quick as a wink throws her legs on the wings of the chicken and twists a chunk out. I have alot of chickens without tails! It is almost as if she is telling them to never ever get out again!
I would never suggest that anyone get a border collie if they don't have a farm or alot of time to devote. They are high energy and very intelligent. But they also have a really high work drive and need to be kept busy. I have had a great many dogs in my life time and i will say without hesitation that she is the best dog i have ever had! It is almost as if we have telepathy going on when we are doing chores. I am sure that someone else on here has experienced the same thing!
Jenny
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  12:09:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny, interesting tales of chickens and dogs! I am dogsittin for neighbors this weekend: 5 border collies and one Australian Shepherd, so I know firsthand of what you speak!! I could go on too long about the dog subject but won't as they will ask us to move over to the Barnyard Critter area!

Anyway, I would love to chat with you about the thumb area sometime. I'm looking around for a new place to call home. Susan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic just joined! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page