Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  03:46:54 AM  Show Profile
This afternoon I'll be attending a talk about dogs and vaccinations. It's something not a lot of us really think about much since we all try to give our fur babaies the best care possible.

There has been talk about over vaccinating dogs and the bad reactions because of it. (Like people, some- but not all are super sensitive).

After having a cat for nearly 17 years and not having her vaccinated for the last 5 years of her life, I beilieve some of the theory that we shorten and cause some sicknesses in our pets. (Reactions and cancers and such.)

Oh, belever me, since we go on vacation every year and board the dog, she has to be vacinated-especially for kennel cough (Bordatella) and living in the country, lord only knws all the stuff she comes in contact with!

The biggie is over vaccinating for Rabies. The suggestion is to have a blood titer drawn to see if in fact another 3 year injection IS neded!

Funny, we are due to go to the vet on Tuesday. My pup is only a year, so after this go 'round we may opt for a titer first.

SO, I'll absorb everything and hopefully pas along something interesting

Stay tuned

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  09:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Hey Anna, here in the city, the vet that I worked for used to allow the titer as an option. Not cheap, though, and has to be sent out to a University in the Mid-West (which aint bad if you live near a place that does titer testing). It's usually a good option.

There are many people here who are also worried about annual vaccines; we have several owners who will not vaccinate their indoor cats, citing that the cat will not come into contact with another sick cat. Other will argue you can bring sickness in on your shoes etc (which I think probably is very unlikely, but maybe in cities like the one I live in, but not so much the country?)

Hmm...I'd be interested to hear what is said at the conference :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  09:44:41 AM  Show Profile
where I live Rabies vaccine is required by law in all dogs. It is a Huge fine if you get caught not doing it.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  03:59:53 AM  Show Profile
Well, the talk went great, but not what I had expected.

The vet is someone who passed through the zoo some yearsa go in his residency. It didn't click 'till I got home and looked at the business card.

He wasn't much for public relations so we kind of just had a Q and A session.

Rabies is still required by law-no doubt and even if we get titers, it's still not the same in the eyes of the government. If your dog is reactive, you can get a wavier form for the vet to sign, but it's only good for one day

The two biggest nuggets that came out of this were staggering vaccinations and opting out of the Lepto vaccination. Simply because this vaccine only lasts 6 months.

So I tokk my pup for her annual this past Tuesday, and the reception to all this new information was well received. In fact, the vet knows that students in vet school are being trained a bit differently now. So when clients ask for single shots (not horrific 4&5 combinations) vets are more than willing to accommodate. We also opted out of the Lepto. I was told by the vet that in some years back, the old vaccine DID have a high recative rate. These days with a new formulation, the reactivity is lower. What caused me to decline was a fellow Belgian owner at the talk who cautioned against the Lepto based on her 3 own Belgians and their recations. Not all dogs react the same, but I took this advice to heart. Belgians are often times mis-judged for all their fur. They are a very muscular breed and are supposed to be treated as a sight hound breed would. Same goes for anesthesia.

And my dog will be getting her 3 year Rabies end of February. The vet has my dog on a staggered vaccination schedule now that will update on alternate years rather than the same.

The poor lady had to go back into the back 2 times to make changes for us, but all good practitioners worth their salt SHOULD listen to us, the clients.

The other half of the talk centered around healing herbs-most specifically blood root.

Apparently this plant has been reported to shrink and cause tumors to disappear! The technique is called Neoplasia or Neoplasing- I think.

It involves the tumor site being injected with this plant-kind of in a circular pattern. Then covering the site for 12-24 hours with the plant poultice and a wrap. The same Belgian lady said 4 days later she took what was left of the tumor that had fallen off the dog to the vet in a baggie. Gross!

One last interesting tidbit! If tumors are cut into, they spread and metasticise (SP). So they should be aspirated instead- if at possible.

Cool stuff!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  06:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the info about the blood root and tumor removal, Anna. I'll be saving that one for sure.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

doublebow
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

michelle
springtown tx
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  06:34:39 AM  Show Profile
That's some interesting stuff! I quit giving my dogs shots years ago - except for rabies, of course. Trying to minimize as many toxins in the body as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  03:37:03 AM  Show Profile
That's something else of interest.

So many pets coming up with tumors "probably" due to vaccinations.

I sincerely believe that some are indeed caused by vaccinations. The other is diet. There is obviously far more to the equation, but these are the big two. How many people opt to take their senior pets off vaccinations and have that pet live much longer than expected.

I don't think this is a mere coincidence

Lots of people in the group have swiched their dogs over to an all raw diet too.

I'd love to try it on my dog, but there is a great deal of expense involved.

One other lady has a supply of rabbits in her freezer. She gives the whole thing to her dogs! No surprize here. We do the same on occasion if hubby happens to shoot one. But we skin it so our pup doesn't get impacted and so she doesn't ingest the fleas. We also provide raw bones on occasion from our loal packing plant.

But it's much more than this, and the purists have all kinds of raw diet recipes.

OH! And they did say how vitally nutritious organ meat is. (kidney, heart, liver- all rich in vitamins) I guess if it comes directly from the meat packer, it's far better than the "by-products" and other bits of garbage mixed into mainstream commercial wet foods.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic holistic dog health Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page