SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  5:29:10 PM  Show Profile
By no means is this to be a "normal" example of chickens/dogs, just a vent about our afternoon/evening!

We have 9 hens that we raised from day-olds and my kids play with/carry around/take on the swingset, etc. . .nearly every day. So we're used to pretty tame chickens. Well, an acquaintance of ours wanted to get rid of a few of her hens, because she was getting too many eggs. So my husband went over last night and got 4 of them (Rhode Island reds). My kiddos were out this afternoon and opened up the door to the run to let the chickens out and the 4 new ones raced around like crazy things, two up the hill, squeezed under the chain link fence and across the road (we're kind of at the edge of town), the other two were just running around the yard. We put the regular chickens back in and tried to catch them. HOW FRUSTRATING! One of them actually SWAM across a section of a pond to get away from us! So I called my husband who came home (we live on the property that he manages) and got the dog. Our dog is a 20 month lab puppy and he's training him to fetch ducks, pheasants, etc. So he told him to fetch them up and sure enough, he fetched (or at least caught) two of them. The third one came to her senses and went in the run with the other girls. The fourth was nowhere to be found. No matter how hard we looked or how much they tried to track it, no go.

So we came in to make dinner. I had two chicken breasts (ironic!) cooked to make chicken salad with and was cutting them up. My husband brought the dog in and asked me to fill up his food and water bowls while he got firewood. I did and then went back upstairs to the kitchen to find no chicken breasts and a guilty-looking dog. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Well, as a happy ending to the other part, after dinner the kids had showers and were in their jammies and my 7 year old daughter was sitting on the couch. She thought she heard a squawking outside, so we went out in the rain and my husband saw the chicken by the light of his flashlight, being chased toward our house by a cat!! (not one of ours). It ran under the deck and hunkered down by a sled. I tossed a blanket over it and voila! Yeah! What a blessing!

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  8:21:49 PM  Show Profile
That's funny, Sheila! It sounds just like my house! Maybe it's more normal than you think. My dog stole 2 pieces of bread off the counter yesterday and the day before, when I was cleaning out the freezer, he stole a bag of broccoli and took it to the dog's toy box and opened it and ate the whole thing. At least your dog eats normal things!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  05:54:34 AM  Show Profile
Great story! Chicken chasing is hard. I hope those new gals have wised up and don't run off anymore. Just exactly where do they think they're going? Don't they realize they have it good?

Blessings
Catherine
Farmgirl Sister #76

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  03:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh how funny! Hope the dog enjoyed his "free lunch".

Chicken chasing IS hard-even if its done in small confines of a coop.

Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  7:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Your dog sounds kind of like our new puppy! Yesterday, I came home from grocery shopping and had all the bags on the kitchen floor while I was unpacking them. Riley, our dog, came into the kitchen to see what was happening, well I wasn't paying too much attention to him, I just thought he was sniffing in one of the bags. So when he started getting a little more rambunctious with the bag, I picked it up and found out that he had eaten half a tray of my stew beef!! You gotta love em though.

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

doublebow
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

michelle
springtown tx
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  06:45:23 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you had a crazy evening! Some days all the critters just seem to go bonkers! Must be the weather...
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Of chickens and dogs. . . Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page