Page: of 3

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  1:19:32 PM  Show Profile
guess I should have finished answering the real question here. I do a lot of the same. Don't shave as my skin just itches too bad while the hair grows back. Use a natural soap on my hair too, cloth bags and napkins. I have to eat out a lot with my job when I can't get a hotel with a kitchen, but I try. I'm finally starting my own garden in my berm house after shopping for years at the natural market or the farmer's market which is my favorite. Can because I love it and shop with my mom and always find hte best used bargins. I don't buy too many thing brand new.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  03:31:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tortilla recipe Laurie!

I can also add to the list:

I have been carrying cloth shopping bags in the car all the time now for the past 6 or so months, but don't like it when the checker tries to cram it all into one bag, so I carry lots of bags that still hold more than the plastic ones. They also don't fall all over and keep the items organized.

Discovered freeze dried raw dogfood. Made and sold locally. Saves on storage w/no wastage at all and very mininal packaging.

Have never been prone to lingering in the shower so 5 minutes is tops and haven't touched a hair dryer in over 20 years.

Continue to drive a Toyota Tacoma from 1996.....still runnin' smooth and paid off

Can still wear clothing from 10 or so years ago. Still in good condition and not trendy- so no fashion fax pass Have had my Birks re-corked several times.

Started carrying water from home in stainless steel. Tasts better and I know shere it came from. Also save a dollar and a ton of plastic in landfills.

Recycled all the bailing twine from work. It's jute, so it will decompose and has millions of uses on a farm!

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  10:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I am learning and getting inspired and encourage from this topic.
You gals are helping me use my resuable bags more and more. It is challenging to catch the bagger before they pack them up so quickly. I have been known to take some things out and give the bags back to cashier. It feels so good to know I am doing the right thing.
I am in a reusable shopping bag swap....in case ya don't know about it. We made handmade ones and swapped. Perhaps with more interest we could do another one.

I have to keep shaving because of the itch if I don't but It is only about once a week. I haven't worn makeup in almost 20 years (except a couple times a year) and I always air dry my hair. I keep a style that is simple and only needs trimmed once every few months.
I like wearing flat shoes all the time and when I find a red pair I want to wear them with everything all the time :-D
I am having fun thinking of more natural and earth saving things.
Linda

One Day at a time.
By the Grace of God.
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  7:13:21 PM  Show Profile
Trying very hard to change alot of things. At this time we do have an organic garden, eggs and we have our own honey from our farm. Composting is a must. Only soap I use is homemade goat soap that my friend makes and I do love it. But I still have to have my makeup and hair products.

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"

Edited by - SusieQue on Aug 26 2008 7:15:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  03:11:55 AM  Show Profile
To Wal Mart's credit, if the checker sees my bags in the cart, they will alwyas grap those first. So it helps to help them out too

Funny, it must either be the older women who are willing to assist---or just folks wanting to further the cause, but I don't seem to get sighs and "the look" like I do at the more expensive grocer.

Not to digress, but its annoying when the younger school kids who are checkers get all bent out of shape when you bring your own bags or ask for paper and it slows them down. Hey, I've got all the time in the world when I;m shopping, so spare the drama.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  07:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Ditto on a lot of the things mentioned above. What I use for moisture is olive oil. I read somewhere that Sopia Loren only uses olive oil. Hopeing someday I'll look like her. LOL I also use a lot of vinegar on me and for cleaning stuff.
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  07:29:42 AM  Show Profile
What a great post and posters answers. Well living in the country theres a lot to do that is natural. We built an earthcontact so we can have passive solar heat. Garden organic, can and dry the harvest. I'm, going to be makeing soap this next weekend. Butcher chickens this weekend.

I have to put back up the clothes line that we took down back of the home , putting in an outdoor kitchen.

My intertainment is the critter sounds, birds in the day and bullfrogs at night. And looking at the stars. Oh I wish the computer was natural, I like it too : ).

Cooking a lot of dinners at the outpost. Fishing and forage in the woods.

I would like to get away from using paper products , so been knitting washcloths and using them for spills. Still use toilet paper tho. To old for cloth pads but not old enough for cloth pads!!! I'm in that age bracket. To old to be young and to young to be old.

I'm looking at my legs now and I could roll up the hair with rag rollers. My arm pits , let me look, yep they could use the swipe of a zazor too :/

tc linda who still can get more natural even after all these years. Thanks for some good ideas

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/

Edited by - LindaEllen on Aug 27 2008 07:32:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  08:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I live in an apartment complex...yes, in the city.
When farmgirls were chatting about clotheslines and making clothespin holders and decorating clothespins, I decided to hang my own clothsline up. Most of the apartments here have them but mine doesn't. I hung one up weaving it from the side of the building to my porch railing. It doesn't look great but I like it! They haven't asked me to take it down so it must be ok.
The fresh air and being outside with the smell of freshly washed clothes is wonderful. I also use an old fashioned wood dryer, saving much use of my gas dryer.
I have been known to hang underwear right on the porch railing but got "comments" it was funny but I'll be a little more discrete with panties now. LOL

Linda in PA

One Day at a time.
By the Grace of God.
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA

Edited by - yarnmamma on Aug 27 2008 08:46:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  10:58:30 AM  Show Profile
I try to buy as much organic as possible. I don't make my own cleaners, but I don't use any un-natural types. I mainly use bon ami. I started using it when I was a teenager to clean the "white walls," of my Vans. Our laundry empties into the seasonal creek, so I use biokleen and white vinegar. I have cloth bags for groceries. I have one that is 12 years old, that is still good as new. I have about 7 that I carry in the car, and a zip up one that goes in my purse. I can sense annoyance from cashiers, so I, being a former courtesy clerk, offer to bag. I have to carry groceries up stairs, across a foot bridge, and up a few more stairs, so plastic wouldn't be good anyway, since they break and cut into your arms if you carry a bunch at once.
I use mineral make up and Aubrey Organics facial cleanser, shampoo bar, ACV, and castille soap and California Baby on Baby Owen. I only use diaper wipes for #2, I rinse them out before use, and they are organic. We have 30+ baby washcloths used for pees. I use readily boidegradable, disposable diapers. I buy them from Diapers.com, since they are not found in my tiny town, and they are aout $4 more a case than Huggies, Pampers, etc. I have not used deodorant for about three years now. It causes my armpits to swell, and it really hurts, so I wear perfume when I go out, and wash regularly. DH never says I stink.
I am addicted to flour sack towels, so we don't use that many paper towels.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic How "natural" are you? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page