Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile
My brand-new microwave quit working this morning. I really only use it to melt butter or sometimes defrost something quickly, so I'm considering going without one.

My mom (aka: Miss Appliance) will flip.

How many of you don't have a microwave?

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  07:55:55 AM  Show Profile
My new one broke last week too! We are also considering going without. my aunt sent me an email about how they are terrible, and since we hardly use it.... If anyone has a good link or info on how it changes food, let me know please. here's what she sent. not so sure about the brainwashing.

Prepared By: William P. Kopp
A. R. E. C. Research Operations
TO61-7R10/10-77F05
RELEASE PRIORITY: CLASS I ROO1a

Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven

From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical studies, we can no longer ignore the microwave oven sitting in our kitchens. Based on this research, we will conclude this article with the following:

1) Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term - permanent - brain damage by "shorting out" electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].

2) The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.

3) Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.

4) The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the human body.

5) Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.

6) The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.

7) Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.

8) The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.

9) Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.

10) Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

Have you tossed out your microwave oven yet?

After you throw out your microwave you can use a toaster oven as a replacement. It works well for most and is nearly as quick. The use of artificial microwave transmissions for subliminal psychological control,
a.k.a. "brainwashing", has also been proven. We're attempting to obtain copies of the 1970's Russian research documents and results written by Drs. Luria and Perov specifying their clinical experiments in this area.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!

Edited by - one_dog_per_acre on Jan 25 2008 07:58:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  08:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Mine is in our storage container because I heard it irradiates food. We used it for popcorn, to steam vegetables & re-heats, but it took up too much valuable space on the counter and I just couldn't justify using it for re-heats when I could clean a pot in the dishwasher (having to hand-wash was an excuse to use microwave before I got a dishwasher). I say they are unnatural & my common sense was telling me to avoid using it. I also heard there was a huge recall by GE for microwaves...I think I saved the info somewhere..if I run across it, I'll post it.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16

Edited by - MasterGardener on Jan 25 2008 08:53:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  09:14:20 AM  Show Profile
we have one that has been around a dogs age and I am just waiting for it to die. It only gets used for heating up cooled hot beverages and now and again something left over, but most of the time left overs get put in the oven or the toaster oven.

When it dies we are done with a micro.

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  09:38:24 AM  Show Profile
I lost the battle.

My husband insisted on bringing the old behemoth microwave back into the house.

:(

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  10:08:24 AM  Show Profile
My micro is new because my husband brought it home after he sold his business, and we left our built in one in our old house. I heard years ago that there was a study done on micro green beans vs. boiled, and the micro beans lost more vitamins. My Tupper-in-law, who wins vacations from the ammount of tupperware she sells, denies science. Here is one of the pics I recently showed my husband. Now he says, "go ahead, kill yourself," to folks at work who use the micro. He's the best!

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  11:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We went without a microwave for a year and a half before my dad bought us a new one. I was really morning sick and couldn't stand the smell of cooking anything and I needed to eat right-then if I was hungry. So he took pity on me and bought us a microwave so I could cook something really quickly before I got sick again.

I appreciate the microwave because of the thought that went behind it, but living without one was nice too. You miss it for the first month or so while you adjust and then it feels normal to not have one.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  12:26:24 PM  Show Profile
We have one, but I can't remember the last thing I put in it...I think butter to melt it for a recipe. That was at least before Christmas. Forget brainwaves, I hate the space it takes up!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  12:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I really hate it and am secretly hoping ours dies soon....or has a bad accident of sorts...hmmm??? Seriously, I would rather spend the energy (physical and electricity wise) to eat something cooked in a more healthy way. It takes up valuable space to me that I could use for storage.

DH is the one who uses it to re-heat leftovers and make popcorn.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  1:06:16 PM  Show Profile
Same here Heather. My husband came home for lunch and couldn't NOT have a microwave even though he didn't need it right then.

He mostly uses it for "roasting" a few peanuts at a time or for re-heating leftovers.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  1:57:54 PM  Show Profile
we use our microwave as a bread box/pie safe. There is a pie in there right now.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  2:25:00 PM  Show Profile
Ha, Julie, that is cute!
Well, I'm a city girl, but I love to cook! When ours died a year ago, we decided to "save" money by conveniently neglecting to buy another. It's really a good excuse to slow down and make slow food and my BF appreciates the good food

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  3:03:27 PM  Show Profile
What do any of you think about the new infrared ovens? I have no idea if they are harmful, etc. I am skeptical of most new food technology.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  4:41:19 PM  Show Profile
We have had our microwave since the 80's, I think it was like 1985 when we got it
It is a Ammana.
We only replaced the light in it
It is one of those big ones
We cook vegetables , heat water, warm up things in it
We all use it, I use it quite a bit to cook smaller things.
pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4191 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4191 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  04:04:44 AM  Show Profile
Mine went out the door, getting close to a year ago. It was 20 some years old, huge, and falling apart. At first everyone said how will we reheat things, but they have adjusted. My ma gave us an older toaster oven, and that has taken its place.

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Microwave Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page