Page: of 4

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  5:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I am of the opinion that a recession or depression is the best possible thing that could happen to this country.

Before you jump all over me about how people will lose jobs, or even kill themselves like we saw in the depression... remember that is one period in time where we learned to help each other. We learned the value of pinching pennies, appreciating what we had. Times were hard. My grandma grew up without a doll... there was no money for a doll. While I think that is sad, I also know that she grew up appreciating everything she DID have.

People right now get whatever they want. Put it on a credit card, pay later. The credit card bills grow larger every month and they do not stop. The housing boom was a CONTRIVED excuse created by Wall Street to pump up the economy after the blue chip meltdown. Maybe Alan Greenspan didn't realize how far it would go, but everybody suddenly thought they had thousands of dollars of free money that wasn't there before... their homes were suddenly "worth" tens of thousands of dollars more than they were a year ago. People with sense knew this was too good to be true. But most people got caught up in the rush, and wanted bigger and better homes than ever before. Some of those same people are hurting terribly already.

A recession would mean we have to grow food in our gardens. Considering my hatred for Monsanto Corp, I sure hope it would bite them in the arse. People might sit up and pay some attention to their government. Right now, we are so busy spending and keeping up with the Joneses, Smith and Crankshaw's that we don't pay any attention to where this country is headed, and it is headed for disaster. Big disaster.

We as a nation are a group of spoiled brats, and a little deprivation would, in the end, be very good for us.

For myself, we have paid off our mortgage, our cars, and are whittling down that credit card debt as fast as we can. We have a savings account, it isn't as big as I would like it to be but it will help us out if things get bad. I have a big garden planned, and have figured out where to get food locally, or even for trade. Our home is heated with wood so we will not freeze if we have to cut out our power usage. We're both self-employed, and both of us are already seeing work drop off... but we will make it, somehow.
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  6:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Lynn I couldnt have said it any better if I tried, IT would scare me to death if we were in debt like a lot of people,I will nwver have one of those big homes but I really dont want their head ache, Why have the big mansions and cant buy the furniture to fill them, this thing with fake money can not last, as for this house we are going to save can and stay home, thats what we have always done so we will make it as long as possible

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  7:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I've read through the other posts - Elizabeth I wish we lived closer together. I'm 31 & hubby is 34. It's so HARD to find people around our age with a similar mindset! We've worked hard to get our home paid for, and cars paid for. We've really had it rough for the past few years because the home we bought needed a lot of work, but we did it all ourselves. I love redoing old furniture - there's an auction house in town that sells stuff once a week. Wait until the "fire sale" toward the end as it's getting late and you get all kinds of good deals on good, solid, old things. Especially creative looking containers and/or stands I can use for my plant addiction.

I also love to re-purpose things, like Grace does - the shirt becomes an apron and the buttons are saved and used for something else! I find new uses for stuff all the time, and my home has so much more of a "homey" feeling to it each time I do that, better than the Made In China stuff.

The best thing going for us all, is that we have each other here on this site. We can help each other with canning, repurposing ideas, home-made household cleaners, simple but good recipes, gardening, livestock... all kinds of things that will help us all out so very much.

(((HUGS)))
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  9:32:44 PM  Show Profile
I am proud of you Lynn, WE once had an old car that we actually had to stop up the middle of a hill and let it rest before we got on home

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  10:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Lynn, you read my mind. And, like you I haven't said anything because I didn't want to get jumped on, but I agree with you totally. The nation needs a reality check. Within my own circle I've tried to talk about ways to cut, save and still enjoy life, but no one wants to hear it. It's hard to see friends so worried and not know what to do, but at the same time their spending habits have actually gone up because of the stress, which make the problem worse.

I think we all wish we lived a little closer to ladies on this forum that thought as we do. But at least we have the internet to trade ideas and thoughts with all of you.

On a bright note, for me at least, I received a bunch of reimbursement checks for medical claims over the weekend and was able to use that money to pay off one credit card. One down and one to go. After that one is paid off I think I'll breath a little easier.

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  05:36:35 AM  Show Profile
I agree that a collapse of the current system could be a good thing in the long run, I just think most of us are going to be in serious trouble when it happens - beyond the scope of a little personal belt-tightening.
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  05:51:28 AM  Show Profile
I think what we all mean is things have been so wild for along time its going to take a jolt to get us wake up

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  08:43:20 AM  Show Profile
Could we just wait for that jolt until we have our bills paid off? DH is looking at a layoff in a couple of weeks - the first one since we bought this house and it scares the dickens out of me. We have been working to get everything paid off but we're not there yet so I hope the bottom doesn't fall out before we get there. I've been working really hard to get my business bringing in regular money - in anticipation of a layoff, but I'm not there yet. I do really well at the shows, but they are pretty scarce this time of year. The next one I have scheduled is April, so we have to hang in there until then. Hopefully my on-line store will start to generate a little income. Unemployment just isn't going to cut it until we get the rest of the bills paid off. We take care of my mom and that is a real drain on our income, but necessary.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

Edited by - mikesgirl on Jan 28 2008 08:46:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  11:27:43 AM  Show Profile
I feel the same way, Sherri! But it's going to be a long time (if ever) before I'll be out of debt. We only bought our house 5 years ago, so the mortgage has awhile to go. I graduated from college with virtually no debt, but then my boyfriend (now husband) went back to school the same year that I graduated. He's going to be paying off those debts for the next 30 years. So there's no end in sight, even if we could afford to double up on some payments.

Go to Top of Page

annap
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

anna
spring grove va
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  5:20:53 PM  Show Profile
This year my job situation has drastically changed. I took a dream job, however it is seasonal, as a floral assistant for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation during the holidays. Fortunately, my boss and I have totally clicked and he is bringing me on as part time as events come up. So I have picked up a second part time job at a nearby plantation AND we're going to plant a huge garden this year. We normally plant the garden and run a good faith stand down the road. What easy money and you would not believe how honest folks really are. This year I am going to sell at the Farmer's Market in Petersburg and try to make up the difference on having a full time job. I am a farmers wife and I'm sure the rest of you wives know my pain as I write out checks to the fuel companies and oh my heavens how high are chemical prices going to go!!! Forget hiring labor to help us and we have to mend equipment because there is no way we can manage payments on anything new. Market prices on our crops are great at this time, its just all the overhead that makes girls like me have to keep jobs instead of living the whole farm life. I guess my point is that there was a time when farmers lived simpler lives, had what they needed and their wives and children were a part of the daily farm life. instead, I come home and ask what went on today? The people we vote for and the people that make decisions for us have changed what used to be a common way of life.
Go to Top of Page

annap
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

anna
spring grove va
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  5:23:29 PM  Show Profile
This year my job situation has drastically changed. I took a dream job, however it is seasonal, as a floral assistant for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation during the holidays. Fortunately, my boss and I have totally clicked and he is bringing me on as part time as events come up. So I have picked up a second part time job at a nearby plantation AND we're going to plant a huge garden this year. We normally plant the garden and run a good faith stand down the road. What easy money and you would not believe how honest folks really are. This year I am going to sell at the Farmer's Market in Petersburg and try to make up the difference on having a full time job. I am a farmers wife and I'm sure the rest of you wives know my pain as I write out checks to the fuel companies and oh my heavens how high are chemical prices going to go!!! Forget hiring labor to help us and we have to mend equipment because there is no way we can manage payments on anything new. Market prices on our crops are great at this time, its just all the overhead that makes girls like me have to keep jobs instead of living the whole farm life. I guess my point is that there was a time when farmers lived simpler lives, had what they needed and their wives and children were a part of the daily farm life. instead, I come home and ask what went on today? The people we vote for and the people that make decisions for us have changed what used to be a common way of life.
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  5:31:00 PM  Show Profile
::waves at Anna::

Great post (I see your opening post was about hot tubs though...ahem.)! I agree with everything you have to say.

Anna is a friend of mine - we went to school together - and both married farmers. We're in pretty similar situations, for instance we don't have employees on a regular basis either... it's not worth it. I also have to keep a job, although I work at home keeping children.

I can't wait to see what kind of success you have with your garden this year - I'll bet you sell out!

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

old gray mare
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathy
Ignacio CO
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  6:29:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi FarmGirls, I have been expecting bad times for the past twenty years...so I have been learning how to do all I can self-sufficiently. I have always wanted to be prepared. I am hoping for a huge garden this upcoming summer for a start.

"Love's secret is to be always doing things for God, and not to mind because they are such very little ones."
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  1:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
What a wonderful question to ask and so many thoughtful, intelligent responses too! You girls rock!

As for my two bits on this...

Well, I've seen very poor times like when my daughter was born. I taught myself to can and put a lot of food by. We joined a gleaners club and had so much beautiful food and what I loved was how abundant our lives felt even though there wasn't a lot of money coming in.

That was 1988 when I started seeking out my inner farmgirl and now I make my own christmas gifts every year, have my 18 year daughters friends over for parties where I cook their favorite foods and enjoy it when they tell me that they wish their Mom's were like me!

My greatest effort is cleaning up my financial wreckage and although I have a ways to go I have brought my credit score up over 130 points in the last 15 months and my bills are all caught up and I'm beginning to pay them off.

I even have a savings account that I've started! So when i count that money..I always count my blessings.

I agree with Anna...recession indeed!

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Linda you should be so proud of yourself!! 130 points in 15 months is awesome !! I just think we should always be careful and not outspend our budget. I remember when we were first married,things were so tight. But, all my life I had been brought up that no matter what, you pay your bills first. I used to have to be pretty inventive in the kitchen sometimes, but our bills always got paid. Some how that has stuck with me all through life. Sometimes it hurt not to be able to buy new things and have money to just spend as I wanted. But, now that we are in a better place I sure am glad we paid everything off and now can actually have some "fun" money. It comes, it just takes time. It is so worth it to keep saving and paying off bills because when you are free and clear it is a wonderful feeling!
You know what, our kids never felt they were deprived of anything either,my daughter always tells me what a wonderful childhood she had.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  3:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Girls it really is awesome what us farm girls can really do, hardships we can endure, the abundance of our labors,the pride we have, and when things get rough we somehow pull thru it,you know we are proud farm girls , WE can do anything, But I cant SING,you all will have to do that for me

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  3:45:09 PM  Show Profile
I agree that this country needs a major shake-up to wake up. Kids as well as adults do not appreciate ANYTHING. They call us a "disposable society" because nobody values anything anymore (including each other) and when they don't like it anymore or it's a little worn out, they toss it and get a new one. Like that commercial: "Don't like your job; get a new one. Don't like your nose; get a new one. Don't like your spouse; get a new one".

Anything that our kids wanted that was outside the realm of necessity or possible Christmas/Birthday presents, they had to earn it. Every one of our kids went out and did odd jobs to earn money for something expensive they wanted. More parents should do that with their kids. It teaches them the value of money, the value of hard work and to appreciate the very thing they worked so hard to get and take care of it.

Amie, I know what it's like there in WNY. The economy has been so bad there for so long. That was one of the reasons we left. I had a BS degree and the best paying job I could get was waiting tables. DH was a plumber who only made $8/hour and NO benefits. If he didn't like it; he could walk. There were 100 others willing to take his job if he didn't want it. One of our friends there just outside Niagara Falls was getting into trouble with the taxes on his rental house (really nice) about 7 years ago. He's a carpenter and NOBODY was building or even adding on to their homes. The resulting increase in taxes would kill them. He couldn't sell as the market there had already been soft for many years. He tried to give it to the city and they wouldn't take it! The rust belt has never recovered from the loss of it's industry. It's a sad state of affairs there.

I do believe that we farmgirls can and will survive anything that comes our way, because we are not caught up in society's expectations and we're very capable of fending for ourselves and "making do". Not to mention, helping each other whenever needed.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  4:22:49 PM  Show Profile
Lisa , we often think we have it hard here on the farm but it makes me cringeto read stories like that that are so heart breaking, That is really what I worry about when times get slow it seems people in the cities have no way to help them selves, I have followed the housing cost and rental property rates in the east for years and wondered how anyone could live and pay the price We have 3 barns, a large shop building 103 acres, and 3 houses on our property and our property taxes run less than 700.00 per year, Labor here is not the most but other things are so much cheaper it makes up for the labor

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  4:45:58 PM  Show Profile
I think with the way I was raised, it has helped me over the years. Mom always taught us "don't have a credit card, its nothing but trouble." I learned that if you are somewhere and see something that you "must" have, wait a day or a week. I have gotten lucky because the item went on clearance or I realized that I didn't need it anyway. When I lived in an apartment, it was just ridiculous on paying that money and throwing it away. We finally decided to buy a home a few years ago. I'm so glad that we made that decision.

It will be interesting with the "incentive" deal that the government wants to give folks. Most will either pay off bills or bank it and invest on it.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  5:21:19 PM  Show Profile
My son got his first job last week. He is saving for a laptop computer.
He said if he opened a credit card at best buy, then he can get it faster.
After explaining that he isn't old enough to open one, I told him in this day and age a Visa debit card on his checking account will be all he needs to buy things. If he doesn't have the money in his account, he doesn't need it. I told him to save some of his paycheck always. I also told him to learn from my mistakes.
I explained that I worked two jobs when he was younger because I had credit card trouble. He remembers me being exhausted working full time, then a few nights a week and every other weekend, trudging off to my part time retail job that I hated. I think he thought I was just working for the heck of it. He had no idea.
I told him credit cards are a joke, and the only money he should ever borrow is for a house, and thats after he has a nice down payment saved up, and also for his education as I can't afford to pay "cash" for his tuition and books for college.
It was a real eye opener for him.
I have still had financial woes from time to time, but for the first time in years there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
I am not too concerned with this alleged recession. If W decides to hand over a rebate/refund, great. Most of it will be banked. The rest will purchase a much needed new couch.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  5:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I often wonder what would happen if we were all given an incentive for owning a small house with an acre of land. You would get incentives to have a garden, hang your wash, drive less, eat local, grow organic, lessen your footprint....etc...I don't know how it would followed, but I tend to think most people follow what is popular...

Maybe we should talk to the Jone's and see if we can change them first, the a vast majority would follow...hmmm...

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  6:36:52 PM  Show Profile
Heather I think giving people a start with a home and an acre of land would be awesome, and it could be done on half of the goverment waste we see going on nowadays you know the little down payment for property might be all it would take to help some make a better life for them selves

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  9:03:20 PM  Show Profile
It's interesting Heather mentioned hanging out laundry, because on NPR this afternoon there was a segment on conserving energy. The guest speaker was asking cities who have "no clothesline" regulations to temporaily repeal them so people could use clotheslines and save on energy bills. I just wonder how many would actually do that if given the chance.

If the country/govt was really serious about our energy problems they would require that new builds have solar panels or wind power and set up new developments to sell excess power to their city; they would design a system for homes to reclaim grey water for irrigating landscapes making a home more self contained. But as with most of our problems the higher ups want the public to reduce, recycle, reuse while the officials waste. A home owner can't conserve enough power, gas, water to make up for corporate and govt buildings that use utilities 24/7. No politician will buck the electric companies or any other utility.

Also on NPR was a report about how credit card companies are allowed to aggresively target and encourage people who are least able to repay credit debt to continue taking out more and more high interest cards. I think it's shameful that we don't do a better job of teaching young people to be financially responsible. The new commericals just make me sick because they are now teaching the young that writing a check is not cool or hip and if you don't use a card for all your purchases you're a loser. Not sure if these are in every market, but in my area we get dozens every night.

I like the incentive idea, but in reality the goal of businesses is NOT for people to get out of debt, live within their means and be self sufficient. They, especially the credit card and loan companies, can't make any money that way. The goal is for everyone to be in debt and only pay the minimum so that $100 dinner you bought last month will take years to pay off. I've even heard of people being dropped by their credit card companies because they pay their cards off every month. And, I'm sure I drive my loan company crazy because I make extra payments on my home loan - hoping to get my house paid off (or at least paid way down)before my spousal support runs out. And the fact that this makes my X completely insane is just an added bonus

My little rant for the evening
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  9:42:33 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer you have the right mind, I am proud of you girl I wish every credit card would go broke I really hate to see people get sucked into them,You have a good head on you girl keep it up

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  06:12:10 AM  Show Profile
Miss Wilma, I love your idea of giving people a house and a bit of land. I've often wished that the government would get back to the more productive programs they used to have, like the CCC which built so many amazing things during the depression. I think most people would rather have work than a handout, even if they don't know that yet!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Economy gloom and doom Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page