Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Bad day to have baby goats! UPDATE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bad day to have baby goats! UPDATE Next Topic
Page: of 2

doublebow
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

michelle
springtown tx
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  07:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I'm so sorry! But it sounds like you are on top of things so he has an excellent chance of coming thru all of this. And I think goats respond to TLC even more than actual medical care sometimes. If he does lose his ears, my LaMancha goats would think he was the cat's meow. They have tiny ears!
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  11:01:18 AM  Show Profile
Heather, your goat is so cute. I wish we had the chance to have goat kids with ours, but it didn't work out for us. Chickens are it for now! Have you named him yet??

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

gafarmwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Pam
Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  11:17:27 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I understand about bottle goats. I hope it turns out well for the little one. I have a very spoiled goat named Annie that I bottle raised from one week of age. Annie still doesn't know she is a goat.(I swear). Good luck and I hope the frost bite isn't bad.

You can never have enough friends.
Please come and sit a spell with me at Life on a Southern Farm
http://georgiafarmwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  11:50:40 AM  Show Profile
His name is Magnum. His feet are still pretty sore and swollen, the vet said it would take awhile. I think he thinks he's a dog, because he likes to sleep on the dog pillow with the dogs!
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  05:16:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the update Heather !
I sware I have been holding my breath thinking about the little guy. Does the vet think his feet are going to be okay and not lose them ?? I know frostbite takes a while to heal but didn't know if you knew for sure about his feet or not. My bottle one from years ago did the same thing. I think my dog potty trained mine bacause everytime the dog went out to the bathroom so did the goat. It was really neat. Well take care Heather and thanks for the update. I hope he has a full recovery. Keep us posted.

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  12:16:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather - sounds like you are living the life that those of us with goats experience as pure terror and joy!

Sounds like your little guy has made it thru the worst. I figure every day I can mark off on the calendar is a big step foreward. As I wrote in my blog last year - three months of having two billies kids in the house is no easy task but what Joy! They have weathered all their trials and now celebrated their first birthday as strong, big, healthy boys and they live outside. Here are a couple of tricks I have learned over the years that might help. For their legs, take a small childs sock and slip it over the hoof and leg - this keeps more warmth close to the skin and also I place a little warmed oil on the hoof before placing the sock on. This kept the hoof bed moist, not wet so you did not run the risk of it cracking. Same for the ear, when feeding I would place the kid in my lap and while nursing I would gently rub the ear with warmed oil. What you need is to promote circulation. I also mixed their milk with Pedicare instead of water which keeps the scours down. You can add one drop of baby asprin in the bottle at each feeding to assist with reducing their temp. I also give them arnica which adds in reducing inflamation.

Give him hugs from me and just know all the work and lack of sleep is always worth it. Take if from Sherlock and Dr Watson - they are here today because I did not worry about my kitchen floors.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  05:54:05 AM  Show Profile
I have updated Magnum's progress on my blog. He's doing very well!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  07:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great update! He sure is cute!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bad day to have baby goats! UPDATE Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page