PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  10:24:15 AM  Show Profile
OK, farmgirls, help a mama out here.

We have 25 free-range chickens right now and will be adding a few more this spring, and what I find is that selling eggs just about pays for the organic feed. We maybe expend a little money on straw. So basically, we get organic eggs in exchange for sweat equity.

Now that I've got my feet wet, my curiosity about dairy animals is piqued again, but I'm worried that I'll wind up spending a lot more money than I'm spending now, even accounting for things like free mulch and manure for the garden.

Facts:

•We probably spend about $30 a week on dairy ('spensive in NY), would buy more if we could afford it (lots of yogurt, some half and half).

•We have a small outbuilding. About half of it is housing our chickens right now. It's about 15x25. It's the building on the right, but it has a shiny new red roof now!

•We live on three acres. Our acreage is a rectangle, and one of the long sides is road frontage. We have to keep livestock enclosures...I think 50 feet back from the road?

You can see our land in the pic below. The treeline on the left and right mark the west and east boundaries; we go back to about where that plowed area starts. If you quarter the property, the top left rectangle is our veggie plot.

I'd love a Jersey, but I don't know how practical that is. Mini-Jerseys are wonderful, but also $2000-$4000 around here. So I'm also thinking about goats (Saanens?) or maybe even mini/pygmy goats. Being able to utilize the other half of our current building would be a plus, but we'd need to store hay/straw someplace else...the garage rafters, I guess.

Here's what we eat:

milk
butter
cheddar
mozzerella
parm
ricotta
cream cheese
sour cream occasionally
buttermilk for baking
ice cream

I'd love to hear some opinions. Especially from people on small acreage or who've had both goats and cows (Aunt Jenny, I'm lookin' at you!)

GoatMama
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

The Scrublands of Eastern Washington
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  5:59:43 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to recommend goats. They eat SO much less than a cow does, so your hay and grain costs will be much lower. It costs much less to purchase the animals, and their space requirements are lower.

As far as volume of milking, Saanens are the highest producers in terms of pounds of milk. BUT, if you just want goats for milk and milk products for your family, you won't need that much.
Since you're interested in cheese and other products, I'd recommend Nubian goats. Their milk is higher in butterfat, which is the good stuff for making cheese.

You should visit www.fiascofarm.com for some tips on raising goats and making milk products.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

mmartz
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Melissa
Frostburg MD
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  7:06:56 PM  Show Profile
I agree. Get goats, but I would recommend Saanens. Definitely visit fiascofarm.com

rocking m
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  7:10:05 PM  Show Profile
Why would you recommend Saanens over Nubians? I read that Nubians are higher energy/noisier, and I do have neighbors near enough by to be annoyed...that was one factor. Plus I have three noisy kids, so...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  9:32:35 PM  Show Profile
I love love love my cow, but I had goats for many years first. I would start with goats for sure. I had Saanens and Oberhasli...loved them. The Saanens were my special favorites for sure.
Nice large size, very calm and lots of milk. Not as high butterfat as Nubians (and I sure would love those adorable long ears and roman noses like the Nubians) but quieter for sure. But...you have to go with your gut on that choice. My sis in law has alpines and just adores them...it is a matter of taste. Speaking of taste..if you do get an already freshened (giving milk) dairy animal..cow or goat either one...be sure to ask to taste her milk. Some have better tasting milk than others for sure.
It had been my dream to own a Jersey cow for milk since I was a little girl and I am SOOO glad I got her, but I was doing fine with goats. When my kids are grown and Mona the cow is retired I will no doubt get a big old Saanen again for milk and she can be Mona's corral buddy. If you decide to look at cows be sure to check out www.keepingafamilycow.com tons of help there and lots of people on the forum willing to answer questions and help.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  2:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Hello, I am considering goats also. Just wondering how much land per goat needed? And what kind of shelter?
thanks
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  2:00:40 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, that! (: I measured, and the unused portion of the barn is 15x15.
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  5:11:04 PM  Show Profile
I have both dairy goats and mini jerseys! I love them all, but couldn't part with my jerseys if I had to make a choice. I can custom fit my milking routine to let the calf do one of the two daily milkings and I enjoy 3-7 gals. of milk for making cheese and all of the other milk related goodies. Remember that you will be milking for about 20 years so the return on your investment is good!

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  6:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Deborah....I had two milk goats for year (along with some sheep too) on less than an acre. It is more not how much land, but how it is situated and how you use it I guess. I never had a whole bunch of goats at once, but didn't have pasture either...I wish I did. For my cow now it would be really nice too. As for shelter...a three sided deep shed to sleep in (I use metal port-a-huts now that were made for pigs) works best. They mainly need to get in out of the wind and weather. I have had all manner of goat "barns" in the past..and they all worked. I liked having one tall enough to walk into...but it isn't a neccesity for sure. Mine are able to be moved a couple times a year and deep cleaned..meanwhile I bed them with straw and can get them cleaned out with a long rake. My sheep use these now (I have two) but I did buy them several years ago for the goats. When Mona the cow isn't looking they use her much bigger shed too..it is three sided also..open facing the east with a metal roof..about 10 wide by 15 deep. I bed hers with straw too and she gets plenty cozy in it. She actually sleeps outside unless it is raining or really snowing hard.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Economics of Dairy Animals Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page