Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 This is not how I wanted to be woken up today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic This is not how I wanted to be woken up today Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  06:10:54 AM  Show Profile
My husband called me this morning to tell me that, after 24 years of working for PlyMart, he has been laid-off from his job. We knew things were going badly for the company (they sell building materials). They have closed seven stores over the past few months and on Friday will close seven more. This is not the time to be in the home building business.
I cannot shake the feeling that this is all for the best though. I pray I am right.
The thought came to my mind that this is the time for me to step-up and help in any way I can and I believe that I need to rely on the talents I have been given to do so.
That's a scary place for me because I have always been the one here at home taking care of our children and puttering with my creative side. I'll still be at home, because of our John, but I will have to be more focused.
So far, 2008 has not been a very good year.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  06:27:23 AM  Show Profile
Karin...so sorry to hear that! I completly understand, my DH was in the construction related business too and lost his job also....tough, tough times for many industries, but esp that one. I know that it is difficult to shake the rotten feelings you are experiencing. Tho in the difficult time, have the hope that all will be OK...sending prayers and good thoughts your way...hoping that your hubby lands a job soon...hang in there! Hugs

Farmgirl Sister #21
Proud member of Bees w/o Borders and ArtFuL SisTeRs

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com

Edited by - amyartgirl on Jan 23 2008 07:12:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  06:31:07 AM  Show Profile
((HUG)) the total housing industry is going so badly right now...it's a difficult time! You are very smart and talented though and obviously you have farmgirl drive and ingenuity otherwise you wouldn't even be here! Silver linings....keep an eye on the silver linings!!

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  06:32:36 AM  Show Profile
My SIL just left the construction industry after about 20 years.

I am so sorry Karin.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  06:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry to hear about this Karin! But somehow I am sure this will work out for your family. Maybe their is a better job out there for him that he just needed to become available for? Since he was laid off, he should be eligible for Unemployment "benefits". Usually those kick in within a month after applying so I hope he can apply for those soon! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  06:50:25 AM  Show Profile
karin darlin' .. hugs and kisses to you at this scary 'chapter' in your book of life! We've had three lumber companies close their doors in just the few years i've lived here. (and another one is about to do the same) .. and that industry in our little town will be gone (for now) but, over time ... things do change .. sometimes for the best ... sometimes for the worse. When our couple factories closed down (before i moved here) and the tobacco buy-out (after i moved here) it left a lot of families re-inventing themselves. Our employment rate goes UP and DOWN (as in many areas of the country). Some women i know have gone back to school .. some have taken on part-time jobs .. some travel to nearby towns for jobs .. some have started small businesses of their own .. and a few have moved to less expensive areas. But folks (be they city or country) are survivors and they too, change with life's patterns. Might have to become more resourceful for awhile .. might have to 'tighten the belts a little tighter' .. but YOUR family will get through this. Prayers goin' heavenward for daily peace and guidance (and yessss .. i believe much of this comes from within) .. i jus' know you have that strength gurlfren. HUGS! Frannie

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  07:54:30 AM  Show Profile
Karin, I'm sorry to hear about your husband's job. My brother is a cement finisher and he hasn't worked since October. My husband is a scientist at a national lab and they are looking at more layoffs too. Actually, all the major science research labs run by Department of Energy have been hit with 20-70% budget cuts. We are very behind the rest of the world in research already. Now we are going to lose most of our scientists. Things are not looking to good for everyone this year.

I really hope things improve for everyone soon!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  08:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Good luck to your husband as he looks for a new job. You never know, there could be something better out there waiting for him. But it's hard to have to start over after so many years at the same place. Our big industry here was film (Kodak) and of course there is not much call for that these days. Big layoffs. One inspiring story: my pastor's husband lost his job as a chemical research scientist at Kodak, where he'd been at least 20 years. He went back to school and is now a nurse! Maybe now is the time for your husband to make a change he didn't think was possible.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  08:48:00 AM  Show Profile
Karin, I do understand. The trade business in general is going to suffer in this economy I fear. Keep holding onto that feeling that there is a reason for it, even (and especially) in the darkest times. I know something will happen for him and you just squeeze him tight when he gets home.
I have been there and I am thinking about you and your family.
2008 will get better, I promise!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  10:06:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm sooo sorry sweetie!! I'll be praying for you! Soo many hugs!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  10:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Karin, (((HUGS))) and all the best wishes and prayers for your family!!

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  11:11:42 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all so very much. I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement. It is like a nice warm hug from each of you. I am sure there is a reason for this. We just have to wait and see what it is. (Although I doubt it will be nursing! He passes out at the sight of needles and blood! ha ha)
We are working out our finances now and should be ok. As far as food goes, we have a fair amount of food storage to draw on, so no worries there. The thing is is that he turns 52 this year. It's a hard age to go job hunting.
Ah well, things can only look up from here.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  1:00:11 PM  Show Profile
oh Karin..sending you and yours a great big hug. I hope good things come your way and really soon!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  1:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kiddo..

Nothing ever seems to happen at the 'right' time.. Does it??
But..down the road..looking back..Hopefully you'll see things that fell into place because of it all.. Take advantage of the time & situation..
Who knows??
Maybe hidden benefits from this that we can't see just yet..

Positive, Happy thoughts & wishes for you all Sweet Sister..
& try not to worry to awfully much please..!!!!!
Love you..

Kathie.. Farm Girl Sister #29

"In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself"..
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  1:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Karin, Thinking of you and hubby and family. I'm sending lots of positive 'meant to be' thoughts your way in hopes that 'meant to be' presents itself very soon for you and hubby, in a very good way.

Farmgirl love,

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  2:22:14 PM  Show Profile
The housing industry is in bad shape right now,no doubt about that. I am so sorry your husband lost his job. My daughter had the same experience in the auto industry. She worked for 20 years at a GM plant and then they started their favorite word"downsizing". It's funny, because for her in the long run it has been the best thing that ever happened to her. She became a nurse also. Twenty some years later than she originally expected to, but she made it. Don't be surprised if something really good for your husband presents itself when you least expect it. Lots of times good things do come out of bad times. It happened to my husband too. Good luck and God Bless.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  2:59:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Karin, I am so sorry to hear. Know that lots of Farmgirl prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  3:10:09 PM  Show Profile
Praying.

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  3:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Knowing all of you are behind me hoping and praying for the best for our little family is such a comfort. You have no idea how much you all mean to me. You are truly treasured friends.

love-
Karin

Farmgirl Sister

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  7:04:36 PM  Show Profile
Karin,
Waiting in anticipations to see the next chapter in the story.
Praying for your family.
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  09:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Keeping you and all those with similar stories in my prayers. There but for mercy goes any one of us.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  09:39:15 AM  Show Profile
Karin - I will be thinking of and praying for you and your family. Tom and I have been there before, too, and it was right about the time our daughter was planning a wedding. Now we look back and see it was a good thing - he has a job he loves so much. That will happen for the both of you, too, I just feel it. The worst thing I felt was fear - of the unknown - and I know you are feeling that too. Times that test our faith! (((HUGS)))

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  12:29:34 PM  Show Profile
Here's a happy update! My husband received a call this morning from the Postmaster in Marietta, GA. Apparently one of Jim's friends from PlyMart is a friend of this man, and he called him to let him know what a great guy my hubby is. Anyway, right after Jim talked with the Postmaster, the employment supervisor called him and asked him to come in tomorrow to take a driving test and see her for an interview. My goodness! Things are certainly moving along quickly. Clearly all of you have some very strong lines of Heavenly communication. We have been praying that something stable with good benefits would come along. This could possibly be it. I will keep you posted.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister

Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  1:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Karin...Keep us posted. And we're continuing those thoughts!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  2:43:03 PM  Show Profile
We will pray for a good interview, and a good result!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  3:19:40 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad he has a lead to a possible new job so soon! I will pray for your family. Keep us posted. Marietta? Does that mean he might be delivering mail over my way soon?

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic This is not how I wanted to be woken up today Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page