Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What Brand Names Do You NEED?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What Brand Names Do You NEED? Next Topic
Page: of 2

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  8:24:59 PM  Show Profile
I was talking with a friend and we were discussing brand name products. I am not usually brand loyal as I am cheap and buy whatever is on sale but there are a few things that I have to have.
1. Scott toilet paper (every other brand seems to go so fast!)
2. Tidy Cats litter
I think it would be interesting to hear what you just "must have"!
-Elizabeth

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  8:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
1. Dove soap- I have used it for 6 years now and just can't make myself change- it has to be the bar type.
2. Noxema- yep- I still use it
3. Clothing- I like Old Navy, Wranglers, J. Crew, anything that is bought at Cavendars Boot City or Sheplers, LL Bean. These are the places I constantly shop and am always happy with what I buy.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  01:55:50 AM  Show Profile
Cabot cheddar cheese extra sharp
charmin TP
prego spaghetti sauce

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  04:48:45 AM  Show Profile
Land 'O Lakes butter
Imperial Cane Sugar
Community Coffee
Karo syrup
Grandma's molasses

My list is all food related, I must be hungry....better go make some coffee and bake some sweets.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  05:28:08 AM  Show Profile
I like gap jeans and have to have Annie's Goddess dressing!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  05:36:52 AM  Show Profile
Old Navy jeans, just because I know my size and how they fit, so I don't even try them on.

All breakfast cereals must be the brand I like. Never generic. I eat a lot of cereal.

Colgate Baking soda and peroxide Toothpaste

Pantene hair conditioner

Gain Fabric softener

Le Suerur green peas

Diet coke

Pop Tarts

Those are all the things I will not buy unless it is the brand.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  05:58:35 AM  Show Profile
Converse hi-tops!
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  06:05:19 AM  Show Profile
Tropicana (no pulp) orange juice....Dove bar soap in winter, Dial in summer....Sensodyne toothpaste (very sensitive teeth)....Pantene hair products....Eddie Bauer,LL Bean, J.Crew and sometimes Banana Republic clothing.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Jan 22 2008 07:29:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  06:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I like Clinique makeup
Dollar Store Noxema
We don't buy generic food usually so Kraft, Prego, Lays, Dietz and Watson, Gallikers Milk, Tropicana, Pantene, Soap: dove but switching to organic, Dreft (I have sensitive skin to most laundry detergents
Clothes AE, Express, The Limited, Ralph Lauren, Lily Pullitzer
Purses Vera Bradley, Coach, Louis Vuitton
Shoes Skechers (I have narrow feet so they always fit)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  06:24:01 AM  Show Profile
Tetley tea (I do buy other teas too, but tetley's a staple!)

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  06:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I like celestial tea!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  06:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Quaker Oats, organic Ragu spaghetti sauce, Progresso soups and Lipton Onion soup mix for onion dip.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  06:43:49 AM  Show Profile
the only think I buy brand is my butter, cow milk, soy milk and a few other dairy products. I'm really not too picky otherwise. I do bujy my veggies organic where I can and when I need something fresh, however.

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  07:08:51 AM  Show Profile
There are 2 things I'm specific with clothing-wise: Jeans must be Calvin Klein easy fit, and shoes must be either Earth or Dansko or Privo by Clarks; and Brooks for running shoes. anything else clothing-wise, as long as it fits, is comfortable and attractive works for me! Shampoo brand I'm faithful to is Nature's Gate Organics. Soaps - my new favorites are made by Bubbles by Bonne (our own Bonne from MJF Connection). Foods - any organic brands are what I look for, especially Amy's and Annie's foods. Dairy products and veggies I prefer to buy local and organic.
Go to Top of Page

carmeniris
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Carmen
Little Falls Minnesota
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  07:22:12 AM  Show Profile
Colgate Toothpaste, Prego sauce (although this past year I canned my own tomatoes and they taste great), Suave shampoos and conditioners and Scoop Away cat litter. As to clothing, any jeans that fit (easier said than done) and are cheap so I don't care if I ruin them working in my yard.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  07:36:27 AM  Show Profile
Birkenstock, Merrell
Annie's Mac-n-cheese
Bare Escentuals

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  08:24:34 AM  Show Profile
Cafe du Monde coffee with chicory; hubby and I even dragged six cans back to France last May to "see me through" the summer. Heck; after all that lugging and huffing and puffing I am drinking cheap Italian coffee here now, ha! Love Noxema also, but try to buy L'Oreal stuff also since hubby retired from them. Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  08:31:41 AM  Show Profile
It seems I use a lot of generic stuff but Scott Toliet Paper is something I don't change. It lasts longer and is easier on our septic system. Also Cover Girl foundation too. Other kinds usually break me out.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  08:32:51 AM  Show Profile
Doc Martens for shoes. Life is too short for sore feet.
Nature's Gate toothpaste-in the blue box, peppermint flavored.
Kiss-my-Face soap.
Annie's white cheddar easy mac- yummy!!!!
Duncan Hines for cake mixes (I know I am a heathen, I don't make my cakes from scratch...)
I forgot... Cover Girl "Professional" mascara. Any other brand (from cheap to expensive)makes my eyes water and get all goopy.
Kemp's Select Milk-My kids won't drink organic milk, so this is the compromise between organic and "regular" milk.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jan 22 2008 08:39:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  09:51:29 AM  Show Profile
There are very few things I am a stickler about with brands, other than Tillamook cheese for my chedder cheese and levi jeans, only because there is one particular cut that seems to fit my short legged little figure the best. I also just switched to the aluminum free baking powder, since I am on my "anti-aluminum" kick, so it is a brand called Rumford. I also love Tropicana Calcium orange juice, though the best is fresh squeezed!

Hugs & blessings

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  09:59:07 AM  Show Profile
Duke's mayonnaise!

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  10:03:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm not a "store brand" person per se--haven't been to a mall in I can't remember when, and I'm only 34

Shoes, I buy dansko for casual and nine west for "work" shoes because they sell size 5.

At the grocery, I tend to stick to the natural foods section, and I don't even know what brands I'm partial to..whatever sounds good, whatever is on sale or reasonable.

Oh. I just thought of one thing we don't mess around with: peanut butter. Only Jif extra crunchy will do.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  10:06:12 AM  Show Profile
Dove soap for sensitive skin
Scott's tp because the others DO go too fast
Palmolive dish soap because the others' suds give out too fast
Jeans from LL Bean because they actually fit my long waist and short legs.
Tillamook cheeses

There isn't really that much. I could, and have, made do with other brands, but my skin itches or blisters with other soaps. I end up spending more money because I use more tp and more dish soap. And other brands of jeans ride up and are really uncomfortable because they're not made for long-waisted women. The cheeses are more because dh prefers that brand. I don't notice much difference, but he does.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  10:15:58 AM  Show Profile
I always go to MaryJanesFarm for all my gardening and crafting info. I've heard she has products available as well...

;)
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  10:16:16 AM  Show Profile
I forgot... Target brand anything!! I detest the mall so if I can't get it at Target or any local store then I don't need it.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  10:21:44 AM  Show Profile
I've found this thread really interesting and a little surprising. I can certainly understand buying brand names in clothing and footwear when they are proven to work for you and are good quality. The same for hygiene products when you have sensitive skin and/or allergies and have to use something that is okay.
But food products? I personally boycott anything made by Kraft (the GMO thing) and shy away from factory, mass produced anything. Maybe I am over-the-top untrusting.
Di
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What Brand Names Do You NEED? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page