Page: of 4

HeathersHeartfeltStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  06:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Send HeathersHeartfeltStitches a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone named their Farm? I'm asking cuse DH Richard and I were playing around with names last night, We have 4 apple trees, 1 cherry tree and a BUNCH of wild raspberry/Blackberry vines and 1 horse...maybe we try selling our fruit later on....Anywhooss...Here is what we came up with last night and laughed silly about it-
The Graves Plot
Okay, let me explain...Our last name is GRAVES....and we now own a 5 1/2 acre PLOT of land.
So Do you get it or were we really tired last night? Is it funny cute or just morbid?

http://www.picturetrail.com/photos/heathersstitches -SHOP
http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  06:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Well, Heather, it is funny cute. But as a long term name for a commercial enterprise, I don't know. You may want to pick something cheerier...LOL! But I still think it's funny! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  07:14:08 AM  Show Profile
I wish we did, but we've been Warthan Farms (our last name) for the past 100 years so I don't think it'll change anytime soon! :D

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  12:25:14 PM  Show Profile
We've got 25 acres in northern Arkansas where we're working toward self-sustenance. We're gardening, chicken-herding, and tending lots of new baby fruit trees. We planted one (expensive) Illinois Everbearing mulberry tree last year, and then decided to name our farm "The Flying Mulberry" because we knew lots of birds would be pilfering our mulberries someday. Alas, the mulberry tree died in the late-spring freeze, so now our farm's name has secret significance - the whole mulberry tree flew the coop!

I say have fun with it, Heather - if it feels right to you guys, then go for it!

Jen

GOT A "WILD HAIR"?
COME VISIT MARYJANE'S OUTPOST!

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

My Blog: The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - jenbove on Jan 17 2008 12:26:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom1
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Michigan
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  05:03:48 AM  Show Profile
Our place is named Symbiotic Acres. We're into self sufficiency, recycling and alternative energy. We hope to be off the grid (or at least lessening our dependence on it) in the next 5 years.

I like the Graves Plot, but I always tend towards dark humor
Go to Top of Page

Kidsndognhubbyomy
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  06:49:27 AM  Show Profile
The home with 107 acres we are looking at has a sign at the road calling it "Hemlock Ridge". While we saw a lot of ash and birch trees, we didn't see any hemlocks!!
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  07:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
After I get my property "farmized" (is that even a word? lol) I plan on naming it. I don't have any clue what I will name it yet, but I think it will make my house feel even more like home!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  11:20:29 AM  Show Profile
We are Blackberry Prairie Farm ... try saying that five times fast. When we arrived, we had only a forest and an acre of juicy blackberries that our boys discovered. They came running to the house chanting, "We have a blackberry prairie! We have a blackberry prairie!" It was positively perfect.

I like the Graves plot ... it certainly is unforgettable!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  1:24:27 PM  Show Profile
I love hearing the stories of how you came up with your farm names. Growing up, we just never did name our farm. I've heard some cute and some wild farm names over the years, especially now being right in the middle of horse farm country. The funniest name was Double Stink Farm up in Georgetown, KY. They have since sold the farm. They had a wonderful apple festival up there.

Lea - I'm sitting here trying to say Blackberry Prairie Farm. Woo - what a mouthful!

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  1:47:07 PM  Show Profile
I've named every home we've lived in...my little weirdness =) Our current home is Wyndeholme Hill. Grand name for such a little ol' shack on rented property but we like it. Can't wait to get my own spread and go crazy with names though

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  3:22:42 PM  Show Profile
I think every homeplace ... no matter how humble ... ought to have a name! Wyndeholme Hill is simply elegant. I love it, Annika!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

HeathersHeartfeltStitches
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Heather
Lancaster OH
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  4:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Send HeathersHeartfeltStitches a Yahoo! Message
I love reading the farm names and the back story to them! We are still playing around with names here but so far The Graves Plot still sticks

http://www.picturetrail.com/photos/heathersstitches -SHOP
http://heathersheartfeltstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  4:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I want a little place called Barefoot Farm. Maybe I should name my porch farm...I could call it Fairy Corner.

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  11:56:33 PM  Show Profile
We've named our home "Garden Goose Cottage" I still need to get a sign made though..but..the name fits.:0) (although I have pet ducks..not geese though.)I call this my little "farmette" it's "country in the city" here at my place.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  04:23:22 AM  Show Profile
Heather, The Graves Plot is cute. I picture all kinds of cute graphics and play on words. Your plot is not only your land but your Plot can be your mission statment for your Farm......
ie: "The Graves Plot is to change the world by providing farm fresh hospitality" If you celebrate halloween you could set up a pretty creative haunted house.

We started with 1 acre and I stuffed on the 1 acre all that I could.....vegetable gardens, herb gardens, goats, pigs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, etc.... At first, I felt sad that all I had was 1 acre. Stupid me! I changed my attitude and rejoiced over my abundance in that one acre. So, the name "One Acre Farm" came about.

We have taken in the surrounding 3 acres and some of the animals have moved out of the backyard.
I thought about changing the name but decided to stick to our "meager beginnings".

Blessings
Catherine
Farmgirl Sister #76

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  06:40:56 AM  Show Profile
We have 60 acres in Red River Parish, Louisiana. We named it Paradise Plantation ~ Paradise because that's exactly what it is to us, after moving from a large city; Plantation, because of my DH's South Louisiana roots. But, trust me. It doesn't look like any picturebook Plantation! I don't even have a 'verandah', and can't wait until the day comes when we can build one!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  08:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
ooh! These all sound so neat! Maybe I'll name my new garden plot "wishfull thinkin"

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

fiddlers wife
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

ginny
pacific mo
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  11:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Yes, although my "farm" at the moment consists of a lot within city limits with a small flock of chickens, a Canada goose who stopped by 6 years ago and never left, and a nearly ten yr old turkey. Oh, and the dog, the cats and the koi pond.

I call it WITS END FARM (because I am, and there's a carved wooden sign on the front porch declaring it).

One of these days I'm gonna get there.

"She didn't get it from a gypsy..."
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  5:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Our farm is called Steeple View Farm, bet ya can't guess why?? Not exactly creative, but the view is so pretty from my dining room window in the morning when the sun comes up. We're on a hill so the church steeple in the town a little below us is in perfect view surrounded by the pinks, purples and oranges of the sunrise. Hey, I like Fairy Corner too. You can get some of those little fairies I saw for sale in the Pine Tree Farms seed catalog from Maine. They're really cute and they'd look great in your porch :)

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  6:15:28 PM  Show Profile
I think I posted this before, but in the same spirit as "The Graves Plot", dh wants to call our Montana place "Grubbstake" for our last name (Grubbs). Our kids moaned very loud when they heard this.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  6:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Our place is Strawberry Hills Farm. No strawberries now but the area used to be a strawberry farm up in the woods and all the kids in town used to pick up here for school clothes money We even have a sign on the barn that was here when we moved in. Our little farm where we raised our children was called 'Horse Fever Farm' because we had horses and we were crazy about horses----(and still are)! It is fun to think up names. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  8:21:57 PM  Show Profile
FIRST home with my man was in the mountains of Colorado .. it was called: EVERGREEN HILLS
SECOND home was down in Denver .. ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH
THIRD HOME was on the water in Annapolis ... RIVER FRONT FOREST
FOURTH HOME .. also in a secluded waterfront .. CROOKED TREE HOLLOW
FIFTH HOME .. civil war era log cabins in Kentucky: FREEDOM VALLEY FARM

it's fun to name the place you live. xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Feb 01 2008 8:22:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

New England
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Hannah
Hardyville ky
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  12:56:29 PM  Show Profile
When we named Cabin Creek Farm it happened easily and all of a sudden. We had thought about it for several weeks, then decided it would come to us. One day on our way into town we began to talk about making one of our signs for the barn, Country Living was coming soon to photograph so we needed a sign....I thought about the cabin property...the log cabin, the creek running behind it etc. and kept saying the words outloud, then all of a sudden I said "how about
CABIN CREEK FARM and so it was born. Then Art asked "where does the farm come in?" and we decided that Bear the cat would be the farm.

BE SURE TO LOOK AT OUR NEW WEBB PAGE...Thanks and enjoy every minute of this day!! Hannah
http://www.picturetrail.com/HannahsFriends
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  10:49:43 PM  Show Profile
I had always dreamed of having a Lavender farm, and now that I have 5 acres I will be planting lavender this Spring, however it will be a bit of a challenge up here in Spokane. When I lived in So. California, my lavender grow with out any fussing, but here in the Pacific NW I will have to lean how/when to prune for the winter.
I plan to name my little lavender farm, "Lavender Grace Farm"....I know, not to imaginative, but what the heck, it's my garden! hee hee hee..... actually, there is a lavendder farm down the road in Medical Lake. I have spoken with the lady who owns & cultivates her lavender and she has said she will help me. I love country neighbors!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mythkat
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

kathy
stagecoach nevada
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  12:14:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I think the Graves Plot is cute. If you're thinking of marketing under the name you could go with the Graves Family Plot and run with Cajungirl's mission statement. Think of the business you'd get at Halloween selling pumpkins.

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

doublebow
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

michelle
springtown tx
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  6:06:20 PM  Show Profile
I like the Grave's Plot! I like a touch of whimsy! My farm is called Doublebow because of the huge bright double rainbow my girl's and I saw one day right behind our house. I love all the stories about names!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Have you Named Your Farm? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page