Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  03:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
I'm so excited! I'll be able to order my chickens this spring but want some advice about dogs & cats around the chickens. I really want them to be able to roam around during the day but worry about loose dogs in the neighborhood. Our farm also came with a 'puppy-cat' (a cat who acts more like a dog) who is a very good hunter and I'm wondering if he might go after the chickens too. My own dogs include two terriers that will probably also want to chase them. Anyway, as a rookie, I thought you gals could offer some suggestions for avoiding disaster.

Thanks!

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  06:48:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh gosh, I had the same concern and was thinking about it just last night. Our basset hound has killed a few kittens in the past and I am worried about my (future) ( march seems so far away) chickens. Thanks for asking Ill be waiting to see everyones answers.
Morgen in Pa

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  08:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
we have here at the farm, chickens, cats, dogs, and goats.
the only chicken that has ever been killed by a dog was from a visiting dog that was part lab. our dog is a pyrenes, so she protects all our animals because that is what she does.
i have never witnessed any problems between the cats and the chickens, i think the usual problem would be between the dog and chickens, and i think certain breeds would have the instinct to protect or attack the chickens.
after the visiting chicken killed one of our chickens my daughters dog started attacking the chickens, she was a pointer. prior to that she never attacked the chickens. we had to work with her around the chickens and let her know that that behaiour wasnt okay with us.
she did learn and never attacked a chicken again.
i dont know anything about terriers so i dont know if i can help with that. anyway, i guess i am saying that it is possible to peacefully have all these animals without conflict or tragic results, but i do think it is hard to expect a dog to act against their instincts.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  08:38:10 AM  Show Profile
I have raised chickens all my life and have always had trouble with dogs and cats. The cats arent usually too bad unless you have bantams. the dogs,on the other hand, can be very unpredictable. I've lost more to dogs than to anything else. Having a lot of high places like tree limbs and platforms where the ladies can fly to when a dog scares them is helpful.

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers! ~John Muir
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  09:53:46 AM  Show Profile
our cats are afraid of the chickens. We dont have a dog yet, but one is on the agenda this Spring. I can't really go another year without one, just for safety home alone while hubby is at work reasons, ya'know!? I imagine if you get a dog from a pup and train him/her up right, they wont eat your chickens.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gwennym
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Gwen
Edwardsville IL
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  5:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone who put their "2-cents" in ---- I'm having my Dad help me build a chicken coop in the Spring and will FINALLY get chickens. I also have 2 dogs and 7 barn cats. I was a bit fearful of the cats (even though my Mom and Dad have chickens and cats), but feel a lot better after hearing the rest of you.

Farmgirls rule!

Gwen
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  8:25:13 PM  Show Profile
I have had no problems with my cats, and I have a lot of them. A lot of them follow me into the chicken pen and watch while I feed the chickens. They know that they get any eggs that are too dirty or too small, so they don't mess with the chickens. My dogs, on the other hand, are a different story. If I have a chicken that gets loose, my farm dogs will get it. They start by tearing out feathers, so if I'm lucky, and catch them in time, I may be able to save it. There have been a few times that I didn't, though.
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  10:43:16 AM  Show Profile
When we had chickens we had two dogs. We didn't let them roam free until they were large enough to protect themselves. The cats didn't bother them at all (even the strays that roamed around) and the dogs were fine until the Aulstralian Shepherd mix thought it was fun to chase them. One day he was tearing into one and I went physco on him. I felt bad afterwards but he did leave them alone after that (the poor little bantam died though). Then our German Shepherd/St. Bernard had puppies and we kept two. Once they were about eight months old they got ahold of one and after that they killed several. I finally gave the rest to my sister. Some dogs will naturally not kill a chicken, some can be taught not to, and some just need to not be around chickens at all.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dogs, Cats & Chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page