Page: of 2

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  12:39:01 AM  Show Profile
i just recently rescued a small dog that seems to have 2 strikes against him, he is aging and malnourished. does anyone have any suggesstions as to how i can get his weight back up to where it should be? before i got the dog, he was kept isolated in a bedroom, let out only to go to the bathroom, even then he was tied and left outside for a while, he ate cat food rather than dog food. since he has been with me, he thrives on any and all human contact.. is doing great other than the weight issue.

Life is too short to be narrow minded.

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  03:25:50 AM  Show Profile
First of all, kudos to you for rescuing an older dog. You might try mixing some puppy food in with his regular food. Is he eating well or being picky? Are his teeth in good shape?

Dennise
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  07:14:26 AM  Show Profile
I second the puppy food. He sounds like he could use some good nourisment. You might look for one with a higher carb count until he gets his weight up.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  07:19:48 AM  Show Profile
The other thing that comes to mind is the possibilities of parasites. Has he been up on his vaccinations and worming? that's hard on any animal and will rob them of nutrition. Puppy chow may work well, so long as the milk powder in it doesn't give him runny bowels. Ive got a 14 year old dog, who is deaf and with a tricky belly that I have to just baby her when it comes to food.
Check with a vet, is probably best

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  08:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I add a teaspoon of brewer's yeast and a teaspoon of oil- cod liver, fish, whatever you have- to the food. My dog has a lot of skin and fur problems and now she is shiny and beautiful and the extra vitamin's helped with her joints and what not.
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  12:19:52 PM  Show Profile
there aren't any parasites, thankfully, so i will try the puppy food added to his food. he is able to chew the crunchy stuff, and i think i'll try the brewers yeast as well. i just took him for a vet check and shots.. i just need to fatten him up a bit.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  2:20:47 PM  Show Profile
YOu are so sweet to take in an older dog...I agree about the pup food, and would be probably feeding broth as well...chicken or beef. I have two older dogs and so far so good, but I know the time for special diets is coming!
Have fun with the new guy!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  4:10:14 PM  Show Profile
Hey That's good for you

I can't believe some people

I'm at a loss as far as what will work best to fatten him up. You could try several small meals too. And at the vet you can request this paste stuff that is very high calorie.

If you have a digial, I think we would be interested to see before and after pix when he is better at his fighting weight in a few months.

Isn't it interesting how the orphans are the most grateful?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  6:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If it works for your house, I would suggest free-feeding. Just leave a dish down at all times for your little guy to get to. That way he can eat when he is hungry and not feel like he has to stuff himself which actually can lead to their bodies rushing to process the food- and less nutrient absorbtion.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  6:42:55 PM  Show Profile
Ditto on the puppy food. When we rescued our Lab, 10 years ago now, they recommended puppy food. It has a lot more nutrients than regular dog food. Just watch him carefully. The puppy food can make him fat real quick. My vet also suggested rice and baby food, but jarred food is expensive. I used leftover chicken and turkey, ground it in the food processor and mixed with rice. She loved it.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  8:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Bless his buns!! Hugs to you for saving him!! I'm all for the free feeding too plus a good worming. I feed Purina One and have some fat and shiny mini-doxies. Do you know his breed?? Eukanuba makes breed specific dog foods. I'll try to post the link.

http://us.eukanuba.com/eukanuba/en_US/jsp/Euk_Page.jsp?pageID=BSF&brid=dac&intcmp=BSL3

Of course, this link is for the doxies but you can look around and see if you see anything you like. Give him a hug for me!1

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  12:01:04 AM  Show Profile
i'll try and get some before and after pics on here soon..i am going to try mixing the puppy food in with his regular dog food.. and see how that works. i do free feed, and am thinking about adding some baby food egg yolk to his food, and see what that does for him

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  05:31:33 AM  Show Profile
The first thing that I would check out is his teeth. If he has a lot of tarter buildup on his teeth, he won't feel like eating too much. The vet can clean them or pull the bad ones and then you'll be able to keep them in good shape. This is usually the reason aging dogs start losing weight.

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  10:54:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey Peggy Sue,
We rescued a dog about four months ago. He was in PITIFUL condition. His ribs were showing and his hair was like dry grass...where he had hair! LOL We took him immediately to our wonderful vet who comfirmed that he was wormy & full of fleas...but still a "diamond in the rough". :)
First thing we did was to be sure he was parasite free. Parasites can take every bit of nutrition and destroy a dogs coat. Walter would hardly eat a morsel when he first came to us. We put him on an all natural dog food "Natures Choice" by Nutro. It's expensive but really gives GREAT benefits! At first, I supplemented with an all meat "topping" made especially for picky (canine) eaters- just to get food in him. I also added a fish oil caplet to each bowl of food. You can find these products in most good pet stores or farm stores.
You should SEE Walter today! He is filled out, bright, happy, and his coat is full & soft! In just months he is like a new dog! We are constantly remarking about how amazed we are at his progess. And his personality...don't get me started! :)

Bless you for rescuing an old timer! Sounds like he is already so greatful for your loving care. He will be your friend for life!

Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  09:33:34 AM  Show Profile
What a super thing for you to do, give this poor lil critter some happy memories. The older animals sometimes have problems with digestion, so anything you try do it in small steps. With being fed cat food the poor thing has not gotten all the nutrients it needed.
I make a meatloaf for my shepherd who has food issues. I use the frozen turkey meat, shred carrot, sweet potato and chop celery and add cooked brown rice. I also pour about a tablespoon of olive oil over it when I go to put it in oven. I cook it in loaf pan and give her one quarter a day with her regular food. Since this is a little guy the servings would be much smaller. I also feed the alternate foods with duck, or lamb and the sweet potato. Best of luck with this lucky guy.
Barbara

http://theclarkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  11:23:31 AM  Show Profile
so far he is responding to the puppy food mixed in with the regular dog food, plus i give him a can of wet food in the morning. we are worming him today just to be on the safe side, i haven't seen any worms so far, but that doesn't always mean they are not there.. he also gets his shots today. he has really turned around from being a shy little man to being quite lovable in just a few days. i am sure he's happy to be in a good home..

Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  2:15:28 PM  Show Profile
this is a before pic of my new furbaby.. in a few weeks i'll post some after pics on here, so ya'll can see how he's coming along. so far he is doing well

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  2:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Poor old guy. He's lucky he found you, Peggy Sue. And Rhonda - I remember when you first got your beautiful Walter. Feel free to post some current pics of that handsome boy! I'd love to see him today. :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  4:30:50 PM  Show Profile
hugs again to you and your new adoptee

Happy to know he is responding to the TLC!
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  02:09:29 AM  Show Profile
he is really thriving, he has gone from a timid little fella to a bundle of energy in just a matter of days.. he loves to play with his squeaky toy and to tunnel under the covers. as for his weight, he is slowly gaining.

Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  5:07:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello-
I don't have any advice to add to the great advice already given-but I just wanted to say "bless you" for taking in an older dog. We adopted our Zena when she was 9 years old-she's 12 now and still doing great (after a bout with pancreatitis). Besides helping them, older dogs have a lot to offer, as well!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  08:42:20 AM  Show Profile
Peggy Sue, I think you're doing a great job! Slow weight gain is best. I had an old, welt covered beagle come to me as a child and loved that dog so much. He always came when I called him and showed such gratitude. Our current dog is fifteen, tends to lose weight, and needs lots of extra attention. I feed her a hard boiled egg every couple of days, which she really loves. Fish oil is really good, too.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  11:19:00 AM  Show Profile
a quick update on my little furbaby..... he is continuing to thrive, he has gone from being timid to being full of life, now he runs and plays.. he is gaining weight, and the sparkle is back in his eyes. will put another pic of him on here soon.

Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  11:24:59 AM  Show Profile
That is great!

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  6:16:13 PM  Show Profile
a quick update on mousie.. he's not quite himself today, not eating or drinking. he doesn't seem to be running a temperature tho, i think maybe he's a little stressed since our routine got changed a bit last night. he is used to me being there at night, well, had to do an over night last night and couldn't take him with me. it was so cold last night and work had no power.. it just wouldn't have worked for him.
he has been really clingy today, and not that interested in food.. so i'm home tonight and hoping that he comes around in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  02:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Poor guy, hope he feels better.

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic aging dogs Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page