Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic bee keeping Next Topic  

Morning_Dew
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen
cottageville sc
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  10:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Morning_Dew a Yahoo! Message
hello everyone i'm new to the site, and over joyed at finding it.
my husband and i started off the year by gardening and gettin two bee hives started. i wanted the bees for the perpose of you guessed it pollinating my plants. i have since learned that there is a shortage of bees in the USA and farmers are renting hives just to help with their plants. i'm here to incourage as many people as posible to start a hive or buy one they are a good sorce of nutition and good for the environment. if a few people start small there will be big changes. thanks for letting me rant a bit.
love light and blessings on all of you

every gardener should make time for the humming BIRDS and honey BEES, stop and smell the flowers.

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  5:39:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen,
I think if you take the time to read through the posts or even do a search on bee hives on this forum you will find that there are quite a few of us here that keep bees. Many of us for the same reasons that you have decided to keep them.
Welcome to the forum. Look around and chime in on any topic you want to answer to.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  3:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Karen, Do you have any suggestions for books to read about beekeeping. I've always been very interested in reading about beekeepers and I barely react to stings so I have little fear of them. I've always thought it would be something interesting to do.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  10:05:56 PM  Show Profile
I would love to have a hive at some point, but my daughter, who has been stung more than her fair share in her life, is terrified of any flying insect that has the capability of stinging her. She was stung more times in her second summer than I have been in my entire life. I can't figure out what it is about her that makes those bugs so mad.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  03:23:13 AM  Show Profile
I just went to the beekeeping place yesterday because of the bee talk on this site. It is about 20 minutes from my house but they have a nice website and they answer alot of questions by phone and are really nice. They had many books on beekeeping. They start taking orders for bees in January and are completely sold out by the end of March. Their website is www.betterbee.com
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  08:21:30 AM  Show Profile
Laura -- Bees and wasps can be attracted by scent -- does your daughter use a fragrant shampoo or lotion? Try to use unscented products with her. Is her play area near flowers? As difficult as it is, try to teach her to react calmly if there are bees or wasps around. I find that wasps sting more often than bees, and it is usually wasps this time of the year that become so aggressive. You might want to put some wasp traps around, away from her play area or your outdoor eating area, to divert them away from your little girl. Poor dear. Stings are bad.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  10:09:19 AM  Show Profile
Karen and all,
When we decided we wanted to learn to keep bees I went first to my public library and the county extension office. Both have a lot of information on bee keeping and before I decided to purchase any books on bee keeping I read through several of the ones available at the library. This gave me a thourough understanding of what I was about to get myself involved with. The more i read the more excited I became about getting started. We then signed up for and attended an all day class on getting started in bee keeping that was held at a nearby bee keeper supply shop. Al Steadman Bees and supplies. This was a valuable day well spent prior to getting started. We were also given the opportunity of joining the local bee keeping club that meets once a month. Unfortunately it is over 60 miles away so we did not join as the meetings are at 7 in the evening and last until 9 so we would not get home until after10.30 in the evening. Since we have such an early start to our mornings we cannot do this. I am hoping to get enough people in this area who keep bees to start a chapter here.
So my recommendations to those of you who want to learn about this wonderful hobbie and business opportunity are " read everything you can about it" check out any videos you can find on the topic and go to a class hosted near you. It is costly to begin so find out if you really want to do it before you invest in it.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic bee keeping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page