True Blue Farmgirl

1849 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1849 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  12:31:30 PM  Show Profile
My mom passed away on July 18 from at infection at 84. It makes me
so sad to know she is gone. She will always be in my heart.
My parents owned a farm in mid Iowa and I have a brother and sister who just want to sell it all to the highest bidder. My husband and I want the farmstead and are trying to buy it. I was interested in the discussion on corporations and land developers. They drive up the prices and drive out small farmers which is sad. The tillable land is rented out to a neighbor to farm and he has the heart for farming like my dad did. I doubt if he can compete with a corporation though. I want just the farmstead which is about 7-8 acres where the old house is and the buildings and some beautiful pine and evergreen trees. It is my true home where I grew up and have fond memories. My husband understands and wants to retire there if possible. My son remembers being there with his grandparents as a child and want to be able to inherit it from me. Anyway wish me luck as we try to pursue it.

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1849 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1849 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  1:21:00 PM  Show Profile
My brother is the executor and he has the say. A new will was made up that says as executor he can dispose of the land and turn it into cash. it is in 40 acre plots at the court house but you can still buy less in that county. It is very rural yet but there is a corporate farm about 20 miles away and they have had their eye on it since my dad passed away four years ago. I have talked to my brother and he said we had until fall when the renter needs to know if he will be able to rent it again for the next season. I hope the renter can buy it but who knows.
I wish they would just let it sit a year and let the renter rent it so there was more time. It is just hard to deal with it. But if I want it I have to try.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  2:45:05 PM  Show Profile
Marlene - my thoughts are with you on the loss of your mother. I am so sorry.

It is such a coincidence - I just spent an hour this afternoon talking to my one remaining aunt who still lives on the family farm outside of Fertile and Forest City, Iowa. My dream is to buy it from her or her sons when she passes, but I bet my cousins will want to see it sold for cash, too.

I will pray that you can work it all out with your brother and the attorneys; let him know how much this means to you and your husband and son. I hope it can be done! God bless you for trying. Thinking of you...

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 03 2005 10:46:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1849 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1849 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  08:24:25 AM  Show Profile
Bluesky, Thanks for the good thoughts. It is in God's hands if it happens it was meant to be. I lived in the country as a child until 17 and it is not until now as an adult that I appreciate what a wonderful place the country is. I live in a suburb and on the road to a recreation area and huge lake. Constant traffic and major development going on.
I feel like everything is crowding in on us.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  10:47:42 AM  Show Profile
Marlene - keep us posted...what is the huge lake? Not Clear Lake, is it?

jpbluesky
Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  3:13:17 PM  Show Profile
Marlene, so sorry to hear of your loss.

Good vibrations coming from NZ, hope you fulfill your dream and get the house.Fingers crossed for you.

A great oak, is just a little nut which held it's ground.
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  4:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Prayers of peace and prayers of dreams coming your way-
May your heart heal in its sorrow with warm memories and awakened desires.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  05:04:30 AM  Show Profile
Marlene, our prayers are with you and your family. You are right, your mom is with you in everything that you do. Good luck with the farm, we'll pray about that also. I do understand the need & want to have it. Good luck. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  04:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Marlene, my deepest sympathy to you and your loved ones on the loss of your Mom. I hope and pray that you'll be able to buy the homestead and continue the good memories there. Good luck! ((Hugs))

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

BuckBellHill
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Fern
Belfast Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  06:36:43 AM  Show Profile
Marlene: I understand your feelings about the homeplace. I now own my grandfather's homeplace where my aunt lived for her entire 92 years. She left it to my uncle when she died six years ago. It sat and sat and sat. It was starting to fall apart. My uncle didn't want to sell it to me because he wasn't sure if "his" family would eventually want it. I have moved all over the world and I don't think he trusted me to really stay in it. It took more than a year of patient, calm "arguments" that I think won him over. The one that seemed to work best was simply telling him that the farm needed to be cared for, that's what family is for, to maintain the feeling of the place, not just keep it from falling down. I know every family dynamic is different, but I found that keeping my real heightened emotions at bay made discussions easier. I wasn't beyond begging and saying please, it means a lot to me. My uncle could have asked double what he asked of me, so in the end, he did see that money wasn't as important as having this piece of family preserved. I include my uncle and his family in my joys as things happen here so he feels good about having let me buy it. My 45 acres seem even more special because I almost didn't have it. I am sending my prayers to you, hoping your family sees the merits of allowing the land to be loved as it should.

Fern of Buck Bell Hill (that's the name it came with!)
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1849 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1849 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  10:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to all for the good thoughts. We have a surveyer and an appraiser
scheduled and have talked to the bank. So I am praying it will all come together. The lake is the Coralville Lake area. It is located between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. They have built houses on every availble space on the way to the lake and are now coming our way as farms were sold and developers are anxious to build while people are buying. There is only one road in and out of the area and thousands of people in and out every day. Very poor planning on the part of the road people and county. Western horse the scripture you have was used at mom's funeral by the pastor and was to appropriate as she sewed, quilted, knitted and crocheted and embroidered.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  10:28:59 AM  Show Profile
Keeping my fingures crossed and a prayer in my heart!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  3:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Marlene, My thoughts and prayers are with you in this difficult time of the loss of your mother...and I am praying that all goes smoothly for you on the aquisition of the land. Bless you, Jenny from Kansas

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1849 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1849 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  12:07:22 PM  Show Profile
How much would a 10 acre farmstead go for in your area? my brother says he can get 100k for 10 acres with a 100 year old house not livable without new wiring and new plumbing and a new roof and plaster and windows and furnace. House would take thousands of dollars to remodel and it might be better to just tear it down. 5 year old garage for 6000 and and old garage for 2500 not in condition. Would need a new well and leech field also.
Location about 8 miles from a small town, 5 miles from I-80 and 15 from a college town. just curious.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  1:31:15 PM  Show Profile
Marlene I am so sorry to learn about the loss of your mother. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I guess that I am lucky that I live in a place where I could afford to buy land and begin working on my dream to have a real farm. Two years ago I bought 6.5 acres with a little run down but liveable 1,300 sq ft house (hope to have a new one built in the next 2 years) and about 4.5 of those acres were being using for hay production and had an ag exemption so my taxes on that area are $9.00 annually. The remainder consists of about 1/2 acre of heavily wooded land for wildlife and the area for my house and partially finished pole barn which was there when I bought the land. The property had a working septic tank and electric and water were already hooked up. I paid $56,000. I needed to relocate for employment reasons so I did not have time to bargain. A friend in the area bought 3 acres with a barn and home that needed work but was also liveable for $32,000.

Although, as I have previously posted, the developers are starting to buy up a great deal of farm land so prices will probably start to rise soon. How lucky I was to be able to buy when I did.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

PJJ
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  2:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
Connie,

Remind me where Springtown is? My Texas geography has gotten stale since we moved back to Oklahoma in '96.

Paula J.

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  7:14:10 PM  Show Profile
My thoughts and prayers go out to you Marlene.
Hugs to you!!
But always remember if God want's it to happen it will.
If he closes one door it is because he's gonna open another.

Bridge
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  7:26:20 PM  Show Profile
Marlene, In central Kansas one acre of farmland is going for around $1,700. 10 acres and a small home and outbuildings can fetch 150,000. I suppose that is pretty affordable considering some values around the country. Land around here is being gobbled up very quickly by greedy developers. It sickens me.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  1:16:59 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Paula Springtown is in Parker County about 30 miles NW of Fort Worth.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  02:29:56 AM  Show Profile
Goodness! Had I known the farm next door that had gone up for sale was a steal I'd of tried everyway possible to buy it! :(
The farm sold for a measly $79,900.00 and included a very liveable farmhouse with small apartment to rent, large barn, silos, large steel tool shed structure, open air free stall barn, ponds, paddocks and something like 35 acres +/- along with a cement bunker for holding sileage. A nearby dairy farmer snatched it up quickly, and now I can understand why! I didn't have the means to purchase the farm at the time but knowing now what I didn't then I'd of tried a whole lot harder to have found a way. Always a day late and a dollar short here it seems.... :(

Hugs and prayers Marlene that your dreams will come true and in your terms.

*Blessings*

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  07:54:40 AM  Show Profile
Marlene -- I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I'm sending prayers your way.

I live in Western WA and land here is expensive. There is an older farm house on 10 acres outside of town that is selling for $750,000. The house has been completely remodeled and there are out buildings with it but I was still astounded at the price. Most places with acreage start at $350,000 to $400,000.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1849 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1849 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  1:23:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for everyone's input. I need to stop being sentimental and look at it from a business standpoint. We were thinking more around 40-50K as the only thing in good condition is the two stall garage. The house and all the out buildings are in bad condition and there is no leach field. There are tall evergreens that need to be taken down as they were damaged in a bad storm. A lot of work to get it into shape. We are going to get the estimate and then see what the bankers thinks. It would be a good investment but we are retiring in a few years and want to build a house out there so can't pay more that 40-50 and afford to build a house. Anyway it is in God's hands as he truly is the one in charge. Any ideas on things to do in remembrance of someone. I did buy an apron at a consignment store last night. A pretty red one with emboidery. My mom alway wore one and that reminds me of her. In fact for weddings they would sew special ones for the servers.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  06:59:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry this is proving to be so difficult. I live out on the prairie in Illinois. A former client of mine just bought something that's almost exactly what you described. They paid $210,000. They put much of their stuff in storage and are in the process of gutting the house, rehabbing the barn, and tearing down some of the awful sheds. Fortunately he's a carpenter, but he's had to hire help because he'd be working at a snail's pace if he did it all himself.

The owner of the barn where I work is divorcing. She's putting her house up for sale, her old barn (which is small but sound) and 7-8 acres around it. They're going to ask $340,000. They're doing some work on it before they sell, such as remodeling the bathroom and adding a porch, but the house is about a hundred years old. I don't know who can afford these prices.

What my former clients saw for less money wasn't worth moving into. I can't believe what people are getting for a couple of acres and a run down house. My place is worth such a fortune now, I don't think I could buy it.

I hope and pray that it works out for you, that you can get the old homestead and live out your days there. If your brother lets you have it for $100,000, it sounds like he'd be giving you a gift, at least compared to land values here. You might find a realtor to check out the comps in your area.

Please keep us updated on the progress of this. Stories like this worm their way into our hearts, and we wonder sometimes whatever happened. And please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother; it's terribly painful, I know. I lost mine in '97, and held her hand as she crossed over. Hardly a day goes by where I don't think of her or talk to her. I miss her so.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  07:00:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry this is proving to be so difficult. I live out on the prairie in Illinois. A former client of mine just bought something that's almost exactly what you described. They paid $210,000. They put much of their stuff in storage and are in the process of gutting the house, rehabbing the barn, and tearing down some of the awful sheds. Fortunately he's a carpenter, but he's had to hire help because he'd be working at a snail's pace if he did it all himself.

The owner of the barn where I work is divorcing. She's putting her house up for sale, her old barn (which is small but sound) and 7-8 acres around it. They're going to ask $340,000. They're doing some work on it before they sell, such as remodeling the bathroom and adding a porch, but the house is about a hundred years old. I don't know who can afford these prices.

What my former clients saw for less money wasn't worth moving into. I can't believe what people are getting for a couple of acres and a run down house. My place is worth such a fortune now, I don't think I could buy it.

I hope and pray that it works out for you, that you can get the old homestead and live out your days there. If your brother lets you have it for $100,000, it sounds like he'd be giving you a gift, at least compared to land values here. You might find a realtor to check out the comps in your area.

Please keep us updated on the progress of this. Stories like this worm their way into our hearts, and we wonder sometimes whatever happened. And please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother; it's terribly painful, I know. I lost mine in '97, and held her hand as she crossed over. Hardly a day goes by where I don't think of her or talk to her. I miss her so.
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1849 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1849 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  11:43:12 AM  Show Profile
It helps to know what things are selling for in other areas so you have a basis of comparison. Don't know yet what will happen. Allan and I are married for the second time so have only had a few years to save for retirement. Both are ex's were terrible at saving money so it costs us. We are both responsible at saving money and preparing for retirement but really it takes years to do it right. Thanks for the condolences. My mom and I were very close and I miss our talks. We shared a love of reading and I took her many books and magazines the last couple of years to read. She loved her grandkids and greatgrandkids and encouraged them to read and would read to them or have them show her their books. She also loved to hear them sing to her little songs and so at her funeral the children sang Jesus love me. We also had a poem read that talked about all the things a mother does with their hands. She taught me by example how to be a good mom and grandmother and that is a precious gift.
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1849 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1849 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:50:50 AM  Show Profile
My siblings think that 94 is much to low an appraisal and offer. My brother has had many calls and says land in that area is going for more that 4000 an acre and an acreage can go as high as 200,000 or more as one recently sold for 170,000 with only 2 acres and an old house. I am discouraged at all this. I am not sure how high we can go and still afford a new house. I have never been to a land auction anyone know how they work? Maybe it would be better to just inherit the money and look elsewhere for land. Maybe being sentimental has too high a price tag.
I can't believe with the high price of gas that people are wanting to be in the country.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Trying to get a dream Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page