Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Deb
Glendale Missouri
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  6:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Hello, all!

I don't know where else to post this question...I'm relatively new, but thought that there may be someone out there who can help me. I bought an old Pie Safe from a friend, who bought it from someone else. It had spent quite a lot of time in a barn but prior to that, it had been painted, all over, in a horrible green paint - even on the tin! My friend had spent a lot of time trying to strip the green paint off, and once I acquired it, I had someone professional do it, because it was EVERYWHERE. Of course, the tin, or whatever the metal pieces are, is rather rusty looking now and I can't find anything that will remove the rusty look. I don't want it painted again, nor did I want to replace it with fabric, even though I've seen that done - I was really looking forward to the tin look, but am at my wit's end! If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know. Thank you!

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  03:30:40 AM  Show Profile
Deb,
I have used BRI WAX to put a finish on pieces, is beeswax with a chemical carrier that flashes off.
I don't like the chemical part, but really like the finish I get afterward.
If the metal is pitted from the rust, I don't know how nice the finish would be, I clean rust off of everything with the powder BARKEEPERS FRIEND it will take some scrubbing but I even use it on my car when I see a little rust coming thru and then seal it, if you can get it as clean as you'd like I would suggest spraying on a clear spray paint to seal the metal.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Deb H
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Deb
Glendale Missouri
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  08:17:55 AM  Show Profile
Karen, Thanks for the tips! I will write down those products and try them. When I went to the Hardware store (not a chain one, either), they suggested Naval Jelly, but that is what my friend used that didn't work (I found out AFTER I had bought it...).

Deb P

"Well-behaved women rarely make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  02:36:50 AM  Show Profile
Just a thought, many "Primitive" decorators and collectors would love to own a pie safe such as yours with the rusted tin panels, thus thinking of it as "primitive" rather than rusted might be the easy way out!

But, if ya for sure can't stand it rusty, I've heard friends say they've had good results with a product that removes rusts such as CLR or maybe a bit of WD40 on a cloth with plenty of elbow grease, also possibly a product called "The Works" sold at most Dollar Tree stores if you have one nearby has been said to do the job of removing rust. I'm not sure but hopefully one of these products will help you if nothing else has done the job thus far. Of course if you're planning on using the pie safe as it was intended for holding food items, be sure to thoroughly wash away any residue left from the removers. Good luck and enjoy your new/old pie safe, lucky gal indeed! ;)

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Pie Safe Refinishing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page