True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  9:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

I was just wondering from all you soap makers out there- have you ever used a plaster board/box to speed cure you soap? I also do pottery as a hobby and when wedging the clay (getting the air bubbles out) we wedge on a plaster board so that you can also work out extra water out of the clay. Since plaster will absorb water from the air and anything set on it- I was just wondering if anyone had used it to cure soap on and if so- did it work?

I went to the farmer's market today and had a decent selling day and I would really like to ramp up production, but having a limited amount of tools and molds to use after the milling process, I need to find a way to cure faster.

Thanks

Alee

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  10:39:21 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of doing it with soap. I don't know if rushing it would be good.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  04:14:02 AM  Show Profile
It's worth a try. It shouldn't change the end product because the soap is already finished. The curing is done after the soap is initially made. Milled soap just needs to go through a second drying time.

How about a dehumidifier? That should keep the air around the soap much drier. A fan will also help.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  09:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the input! I think I will go get some plaster today and convert the soap box that I had made into a plaster box. Since I am using my crockpot for my soap and milling it all- the box is not gettting used much right now :(. Plus I can get another made any time! :)

If anyone needs a soap box made, I can get some made for about $5 for a 12X12 inch box that is 3-4 inches deep!

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  09:14:30 AM  Show Profile
I would think it would speed up the process, I'm not sure if thats a good thing or not. I know we wait to ph test the soap until it's cured because the ph does change in those weeks of curing. I would just test the soap to make sure. Keep us posted!

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  12:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay so the Plaster and Soap idea has been a total flop. Not only did it NOT speed up the process....I think it actually drew water INTO the soap!! My "plaster" soaps are softer than when I put them in the molds and they are all goopy. Ick...

So I guess I shall have to ditch this idea....

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Plaster and Soap Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page