Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Bad Customer Service - UPDATE!!!.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bad Customer Service - UPDATE!!!. Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  2:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Now, I am not so old (33) to sound like an old fuddy dud......but...what the heck has happened to customer service??

Me and the hubby went to Joe's Crab Shack for a lunch date and while we usually don't go to "chain" restaurants, it was too chilly to sit out on the dock by the water and their tables overlook the marina. We sat down and about 10 minutes later, a waitress finally showed up to take our drink order. We ordered Iced tea and an order of calamari and looked over the menus while we waited. She returned with our drinks and said our calamari would be right out and walked away...never asking if we were ready to order our main meal. DH was trying to get her attention and after another few minutes, went up to the bar, because we did not see her anywhere. Also, we had no sugar at our table, so he went to the bar to get this also. The manager saw what hubby did and came rushing up asking if something was wrong. DH just said we needed sugar and everything was ok (we try to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially since I have worked for tips before). Well, about 1 minute later, the waitress returns and slams a thing of sugar on the table and asks for our orders, never saying anything other than "ok" and walking away.

Our dinners arrived and were delivered by someone else. All through the meal, our waitress attended to the 2 tables in front and back of us, never stopping to check on us. Twice, DH had to flag her down to re-fill our drinks. Now, we never said anything bad to the manager but I am sure the manager said something to her, but wouldn't you try to do BETTER if you already were on the hot plate so to speak??

She dropped the check off as she was walking by and never asked us about dessert or anything. I was quite upset only because she was being so friendly and sweet to the other tables, even taking a special order for a pregnant girl, who couldn't have something on her order.(I really would have let things slide if she seemed like she was new, but she seemed fully capable with the other tables) We paid up front and did not leave a tip and we let the hostess know she wasn't exactly the friendliest person we ever met. The hostess just laughed it off and quickly walked away. HUH??? Wouldn't you apologize or say something...DH asked for the manager, who suddenly was busy and we would have to wait..um no...go get the manager now (I have never seen my very friendly gentlemen cowboy of a husband get mad at someone like this)We stood there for about 2 minutes and no one came out, the hostess never even came back. We just left!!! I know we should have waited but I was virtually so mad I really could have screamed at someone at that point... and DH doesn't like me to get upset.

I noticed this alot out here in California where we are and I am not saying that about the whole state, just the particular area we live in. People are not so nice and they have no clue what customer service is. I don't expect to be treated like the queen, but sheesh, some respect would be nice. Honestly, it was the first time in a long time I truly made a scene in public about something like this. I have not been treated so badly, especially in a restaraunt, ever..

I think I handled myself correctly but most people have told me to let it go, that is how people are out here...NO, sometimes you just have to speak up or the behavior will not be corrected. We definitely won't be going back there, especially since nothing was done to correct the problem and behavior like that shouldn't be pushed allowed. Imagine if I let my son grow up that way!! YIKES!!!
Ok, I am done now....

Cheers,
Heather

Edited by - catscharm74 on Jan 14 2008 11:47:48 AM

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  3:13:49 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, Heather, this is the second time I've heard of a terrible time at a Joe's Crabshack--I personally wouldn't normally eat there, and after my friend's experience, and now yours, I wouldn't dream of it, even if it was the last place on earth!!!
My friend, her elderly mother and her sister went there for her sister's birthday. My friend planned on paying, and then when the bill came, she realized that she had forgotten her wallet at home (you have to know my scattered but VERY sweet friend)...additionally, all three women are on the heavy side...anyway, my friend's mother doesn't believe in credit cards or debit cards, and only had enough cash to pay the bill, which left no money for the tip. So, my friend explained that to the server, who then said, "Sure. Whatever. It's nice that you hefty chicks ran me ragged and then skimped on the tip...very typical of YOU people!!!" and walked away. My friend (who is also very sensitive) just burst into tears, which I think caused a worse scene, and then they were ushered out for causing a ruckus. She called the mananger, and they told her that it was just an unfortunate situation...they didn't apologize nor say that their server was out of line--they acted like it was my friend's problem, and she should just live with the embarrassment.

Yikes. I knew I didn't like chains!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  3:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Wow- Good to know Jonni!! Hmm...I am thinking of going to their website and leaving a note for them.

I am so sorry about your friends. I got treated the same way right after I had my son (I weighed close to 260 lbs, I had gained 75 lbs throughout my pregnancy). We had gone out to eat and I was starving because I wasn't eating all day dealing with a fussy baby and this was our first sit down meal. I ordered a T-bone and 2 sides, sweet tea and we had an appetizer. I could tell by the looks that I was being made fun of for me size. Server actually recommended a low-fat dressing for me. Huh?? Didn't ask for one..hmmm..

Anywho..I will put the word out about Joe's. Though, I must say I had a ton of fun at the one on the San Antonio River walk. There was dancing and making fun of DH because he ordered a lobster and they made him wear the bib and a lobster hat.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  3:32:46 PM  Show Profile
I never understand poor service--my husband is a lifer server and bartender and honestly, it's how he makes his money, so even if he thinks your a drip, he's gonna give you good service. You may tip, you may not, but a complaint on your file is worse than no tip....

Gosh, I don't understand folks who think they were put on this earth to judge peoples appearances!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  8:34:30 PM  Show Profile
I've had the same experience at Joe's and at some of our frequent haunts. I'm not sure what's worse. I think it's lack of training and their age. The young ones are sooo cocky. You just want to ask them "what part of waiter or server didn't you understand when you applied for the job?".

My worst experience was with my dad at one of his regular places. I swear the girl was 16. Everything started fine, but then she didn't bring us a bread basket, the main course came before the salad, which we never got and she stood less than 10 feet from our table chatting it up with a group of her friends, completely ignoring us.

Finally, one of the regular guys stopped by to say hello and ask how we were doing, so we told him - everything. He talked to our server who sneared at us refilled our drinks and walked way returning to her friends. I couldn't get her attention to save my life. When she FINALLY brought the bill I told, not asked, her to reduce our bill for the items we never received - the bread basket, the salads and one of our side dishes. She was floored. Not to mention being clueless on how to do it. So, I politely suggested she ask the manager or the owner who is usually at the restaruant. After she turned white, gave a heavy sigh she offered us a free piece of pie. Like that squared everything. I told her no , go fix the bill, waved her off and continued talking with my dad totally ignoring her. She didn't know what to do so she disappeared again, with the bill. After about 10 minutes I was fuming so I got up and started for the door with poor aged dad in tow. When she chased us down because we hadn't paid I told her I thought she was picking up our dinner because of the lousy service, missing food, and the fact that I couldn't get attention. She had no idea what to do.

The thing I found most amazing what the fact that she didn't think she did anything wrong. I was just being a b$%ch.
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  10:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Gosh I think we've all had bad service with them. They went out of business in Lexington and back in the day, the one in Louisville was pretty good. However, back about 5 or so years ago, I went with a friend and it was horrible. It was lunchtime and they sat us beside a bachelorette party. They were not in the private room, but rather out in the open with their games and other unmentionable stuff. I had never been so embarrassed and the waitress was embarrassed as well. We would have complained to the manager and the folks beside us did...only to find him a few minutes later joining in on the fun because he was the groom to be.

I think one of the funnier stories of going out to eat is when one of my best friends and I were the first ones at a restaurant when it first opened up for the day. Well you would think we would have been in and out of there. Nope - folks around us that sat down 15 minutes after us got served and their food well before us. We didn't realize how long we had been there because we were telling stories left and right. We didn't get our check until almost two hours of being there and after repeating for the last 20 minutes that we needed our check. The manager came by and asked how things where and my friend went "do you really want to know??" And the guy said "well sure..." That was a funny mistake because she decided to give him the story of how we were the first ones there but yet we are the last ones out it looks like for lunch and its because our waiter was talking to the others over at the hostess stand.

I never could figure out why some places they are so slow...you would think they would try to maximize as many people through there as fast as they can to get more tips, more money for the restaurant. Lexington has changed a lot since the smoking ban (you can't smoke in restaurants or bars). Use to, you would leave a place smelling like an ashtray and now you don't. You also have larger groups (families) taking up tables and the wait line. Plus more families eat out instead of cooking in...kinda like that commercial for KFC where the dad makes dinner and its a bucket of chicken from KFC.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  08:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I had TERRIBLE service at Joes in Branson. We will NEVER go back. Our story sounds a lot like yours!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  11:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I contacted the area manager and frankly, he was as useless as the waitress!! I think Joe's really needs to educate themselves about customer service. He didn't even offer me any coupons and did not seem at all the least bit sorry. More or less just wanted the facts and tried to hurry me off the phone. So, I am officialing boycotting Joe's.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  12:23:22 PM  Show Profile
Well, I got sick from Joe's Crab Atofee (sic) in Denver. Not going back, ever.

Sherone

www.taylorscountrystore.etsy.com

http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/

http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  07:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
well, i guess you have inspired me to put my two cents in.
when i go out to eat, it is a real treat, and i do not expect to be mistreated or have to do any work at all, honestly i could stay home for that. (well the work, i cant say i get mistreated over my food).
joes crab shack is part of a HUGE chain with the landry company.
i would deal directly with them. this is also why i usually try to go to mom and pop restaurants. the food is better and the service is too. i think the landry company is owned by a man from galveston. i cant remember exactly his name but if you want it i could do a little research and send it to you.
now about the wait people. all my children have done their time in the service industry, and some of them i feel will probably be "lifers".
they like the work and consider themselves professionals. however, i do know that the restaurants, especially the large chains can sometimes have a policy of cheating the staff out of hours and time. they also have been known to withhold taxes from the workers and not actually pay the government and that leaves the worker with a huge tax debt at the end of the year. yes these things happen and according to folks i know rather common place. when the workers complain they are usually fired.
of cours none of this should affect the customer, but i think that it is more reason for us to boycott companies that have terrible labor practices and frequent restaurants and companies that have good ethical standards.....which reminds me, i've run out of maryjanes budget mix and need to order more.
lets just remember, we do have a say where we spend our money....and for some folks, thats the only thing that will get their attention.
God, i am preachy this morning, sorry i served on jury duty yesterday and must have overdosed on legalize.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  08:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I didn't know Landry owned them- DH loves Landry's down in Texas!!! Hmmm. will have to check it out thanks!!!

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bad Customer Service - UPDATE!!!. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page