Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Eclectic Reading Corner... Next Topic
Page: of 5

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2004 :  05:23:00 AM  Show Profile
My Mom had a knee and hip replacement and used those grabbers. They were a lifesaver for her. Eileen are you having a knee replaced? My Mom said the knee was more painful and took longer to recover than her hip. I will send you strength, health, and healing thoughts on Dec. 6th. Your Rodney sounds like a dear man.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2004 :  5:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I have a grabber and it is wonderful for a lot of things but in the grocery store with things up over head and me sitting in one of those go carts the grabber is the wrong angle for top shelf reaching.
And yes meadowlark I am having my second knee replacement surgery. It is a difficult thing indeed but well worth the challenge. I would not be walking now if not for the first one. I am up to the challenge and exercise. I have a great physical therapist!! He does not let me sluff off working until it is perfect.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2004 :  5:51:55 PM  Show Profile
Eileen I've given your grocery store dilema some thought... If you are there by yourself and you are in those scooters or carts after your surgery you are officially disabled, right? Though temporarily, you have the right by law to have your needs accomodated by that store. I know it is tough to give up independance as I have witnesed with my aging parents but what about asking customer service to accomodate you and have a clerk help with the high shelves if necessary? Surely there are these helpers in place in the grocery stores. I shop at our Wal-Mart superstore and have seen clerks helping disabled customers.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2004 :  4:41:15 PM  Show Profile
I am a very independent old bird and asking for help is hard! I did learn how to do it and the store was very accomodating. I just think I have an over active imagination and wish those silly little carts had some kind of scissor action lifting device ( I have a very specific cartoon like thing in mind) so I would not have to ask!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2005 :  09:31:17 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bayoubunch

Evening y'all,
Since I am into herbs big time, this time of year I enjoy reading books about herbs..one in particular is "Herbal Remedies from the Wild...Finding and Using Medicinal Herbs"..by Corinne Martin. I find it is like taking a walk with a friend then having a cuppa with her..perhaps because it reminds me of the area I grew up in..we are always building more shelves for the books that somehow follow us home..LOL..but this particular book just relaxes me for some reason.. lorij

Rejoice...

"Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light." Roethke
Go to Top of Page

Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2005 :  09:37:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm just learning how to navigate this site, so bear with me if I make some mistakes along the way. For any of you readers who love to learn about herbs, I highly recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. The main character is a nurse who eventually becomes a physician in the modern world. She is able to go back in time and when she does, she has to utilize her knowledge of herbs and natural medicines to help others survive the daily struggles of life in the past. A great love story involved too with lots of great historical information. The writer is a Ph.D. in Biology who turned to writing these terrific books. There is a huge cult of Gabaldon fans out there. Hope you take the time to check these books out!

"Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light." Roethke
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2005 :  8:22:38 PM  Show Profile
On another topic/thread Bramble shared details about a quilter's swap she attended recently. When I read her post, it reminded me of the book I am currently reading. It is called "The Persian Pickle Club" by Sandra Dallas. The Pickle club is a quilting circle of friends during the dustbowl days of the 30's in Kansas. It is a quick read, and not deep, at least on the surface. But it addresses life lessons that can be learned within a quilting and fabric sharing group of women friends. For anyone wanting to read a simple, sweet but poignant story, pick this one up. It was available at my library, and we are reading it in my book club right now. I think it will be fun to discuss together. I may even take some fabric swatches along with me to club.
jpbluesky

"Keep us here, all simply in the springing of the year." From A Prayer in Spring by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2005 :  4:01:58 PM  Show Profile
Wow..that sure sounds like my kind of book..I will look for it for sure..thanks!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2005 :  4:30:48 PM  Show Profile
I will also look for that at the library...or order it at the lending service desk! Jp have you read any Gladys Taber yet?

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2005 :  4:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of quilting books...Has anyone read "How to Make an American Quilt"? I saw the movie 10 years ago...it was OK. Is the book a good read?

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2005 :  6:18:30 PM  Show Profile
As with most things, the book was MUCH better,in my humble opinion!
If you are looking for good quilting novels The Elm Creek series by Jennifer Chiaverini are fun and and an easy read filled wiith lots of quilt history and info about patterns etc. Some nice characters too that reappear in the continuing story. I think I might have mentioned this before? The grey matter isn't what it used to be!!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2005 :  7:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Meadowlark...I looked at my library for Gladys Taber books and did not see anything. I looked in fiction and non-fiction. I did not ask for it, though. I received a nice email from one of the girls who have the Gladys Taber website. She even sent me a Gladys Taber essay by email to get a feel for her writing. I liked what I read; it was so full of an authentic country outlook that is disappearing. (I guess I should have put this reply on the Gladys Taber thread, my answer is so long!)

jpbluesky

"Keep us here, all simply in the springing of the year." From A Prayer in Spring by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2005 :  7:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh, by the way, do you know what persian pickle is? Other than a funny combination of words? It is another name for paisley!
jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 25 2005 :  07:38:07 AM  Show Profile
I have a habit of reading 3-4 books at the same time ( one in my purse, one in the car, one next to the bed and one at work). Most people think it's strange but it works for me and I cover alot of territory that way. I finally finished The Mermaids Singing by Lisa Carrey and all I can say is I should have read it sooner! These characters are stuck in my head! I want to know what happens from here on, I want the story to continue! Did anyone else feel like that?
I also finished The Book Borrower...it was not my cup of tea but I have liked other books by that author. I think I'll take your suggestion for the Persian Pickle Club JP, I could use a fun read right about now!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Cntrymom
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Barb
Romeoville Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 25 2005 :  11:02:18 AM  Show Profile
I read 3-4 books at one time - mainly because I have different moods. Sometimes I like a good mystery, other times just a good fiction book. Then I love to read about women who live in the wilderness or farm (my dream) - so it just depends on my moods as to what books I'm reading. There isn't enough time in the day for me to read.

Born in the wrong century . . . .
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 25 2005 :  1:36:46 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I took alot of flak from the men I used to work with but I secretly thought they were just intimidated and afraid I'd learn something they didn't know anything about! I liked to keep them guessing! I, too feel like there will never be enough time to read all the books I would like to so I try to keep my
reading fairly diverse. It helps that my husband devours books as well, but most of the time we have different tastes!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 25 2005 :  6:12:55 PM  Show Profile
Barb,
I do too! It all depends on my mood and how much into the book I'm in.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 25 2005 :  7:44:11 PM  Show Profile
I usually have two going..sometimes 3...a car book, a book by my bedside, and a book by my chair in the living room-that one I carry outside and everywhere and always finish first. Right now that has been gardening books. I keep something light in the car and a novel by my bed.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  1:16:21 PM  Show Profile
Reading and books! Another of my favorite subjects.

I've been clear through the Reading Room forum adding to my list of books to find and read. Finally decided this would be the best place to add some of my favorites. Some are food for thought and others simply for your reading pleasure. I also usually have 3-4 books going at the same time. One in the car, one by my bed, one by my chair, one in my "to go" bag for reading in the truck when I go with DH. Interesting that I also have knitting projects in most of the same places, usually socks. It drives my DH crazy.

Here goes: BEAN BLOSSOM DREAMS by Sallyann J. Murphy for those of you who dream of someday moving to a farm of your own, great book, I've read it 2-3 times(unusual for me); FAST FOOD NATION and FATAL HARVEST READER both food for thought and frightening; MRS. GREENTHUMBS and MRS. GREENTHUMBS PLOWS AHEAD both by Cassandra Danz for the gardeners, she's so funny, I've read these more than once too; for the quilters and mystery lovers, any of Earlene Fowler's books all named for quilt blocks or patterns, FOOL'S PUZZLE, SEVEN SISTERS, IRISH CHAIN, and more, all of them are fun, easy reads; for the herb gardeners and mystery lovers, any of Susan Wittig Albert's books named for herbs, MISTLETOE MAN, THYME OF DEATH, LOVE LIES BLEEDING, and more, or any of the Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters (some of these were also done on PBS Mystery!)set in Shrewsbury, England in the Middle Ages. We visited Brother Cadfael's Herbarium at Shrewsbury when we were there. And lastly the Sherlock Holmes books by Laurie King where he has a young female apprentice(sorry can't remember her name right now--maybe Mary), the first one is THE BEEKEEPER'S APPRENTICE, I've read them all and they are excellent. That's all I can think of for now. I'm off to the library now in search of some of your recommendations and if that fails then the used book store. I love that place!

Happy Reading,
Marcia who hasn't done one thing today that she planned to do...............

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  10:37:00 PM  Show Profile
OOOOOHHH>.I am adding Bean Blossom Dreams to my "to read this summer" list!! That sounds great.
One thing I miss since we moved here 3 years ago is we don't have a nearby used book store (or any book store for that matter) I have to wait for trips north to Provo (an hour and 1/2 away!) So I have to stock up. I love our little city library here though...they have more books than it looks like it could hold and are good to order stuff you request.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  12:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farm Girls Celticheart mentioned Susan Wittig Albert, who is one of my favorite authors. I have also really enjoyed her website www.mysterypartners.com. She has an excellent weblog that I have fallen in love with---she talks about her daily writing, her rural home, her grandchildren, and her many knitting and quilting projects. She often includes lovely photos of the flowers on her land and her newest sweater, scarf or quilt. If you check this out, you will feel like she is your next door neighbor. She will also respond to emails that you send her. If you are an aspiring writer, she also has formed a network of women writers with various membership chapters--there is even an Internet writing group.
Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  1:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Jenny--you will love Bean Blossom Dreams.

Connie--Thanks for the website. I hadn't heard of it before. Like I said, love her books.

Happy reading,
Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  3:41:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey, JPBluesky, just read your post from a year ago about "The Patron Saint of Liars" I love Ann Patchett. My favorite of her's was "Taft" Loved "BelCanto", too. Well, 'til the end. JulieBell just read it and we cried over it a bit. I hate a sad ending.

I think my favorite recent book is "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime" by Mark Haddon. It's about a young boy with Ausbergers syndrome and his attempts to solve the murder of his neighbor's dog, told in first person. It's remarkable, to say the least.

Cosidering what everybodies sayin' i'll read "The Red Tent" first, then the Mermaid book, then the "Secret Life of Bees"

gb
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  3:56:19 PM  Show Profile
Erik - you will be so well-versed after all those good reads! Glad the feminine aspect of these books isn't deterring you!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

goalieboy
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

erik
moscow id
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  09:14:26 AM  Show Profile
How could it? I work for a goddess, her various handmaiden's and an assortment of nymphs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Reading Room: Previous Topic Eclectic Reading Corner... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page