Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2004 :  09:19:59 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a good one too!! I will have to look for the Plain Truth movie ...it does say something on the front cover of the book that its a Lifetime channel movie. I never catch much on tv, but would like to see that one. I am almost done with the book..was up until all hours reading. I may as well sit and finish it..won't get a lick of work done around here until I do!!
Anyone read Cold Sassy Tree? I got it at a thrift store the other day. I won't let myself start it for a few days though..gotta get my last ewe sheared and a few other things first.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2004 :  10:51:34 AM  Show Profile
You will like Cold Sassy Tree. I read that over ten years ago, but still have a copy on mny shelves. My husband liked it too.

Our book club is reading The #1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. It is an easy read, but so simple and straightforward in it's life outlook. And it takes place in Africa. I think many of you would enjoy it.

Our next selection is Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides. It is strange. Good, but very strange. About a hermaphrodite. I am getting through it but probably would not have picked it by myself. The only drawback with book clubs is sometimes you read something that you would not choose yourself. That limits your freedom in a wonderful relaxing past-time, but I have learned a lot by reading some things that were different.

Going to look for Plain Truth. I love stories about the Amish. Thanks for the suggestion!

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2004 :  3:04:57 PM  Show Profile
The #1 Ladies Detective Agency books are great fun! There are maybe 5 or 6 in the series aand I agree, simple straightforward with alot of truth about human nature and wry sense of humor. Cold Sassy Tree is great and it has a sequel too! They made that into a movie w/ Faye Dunaway as the step Gran and I remember it was very good. I am reading THE BOOK BORROWER by Alice Mattison and a collection of nature/farm essays HILLSIDE HARVEST by Lansing Christman. It's a collection that appeared in the Christian Science Monitor back in the late 40's and 50's.Used book store find. Very poetic descriptive imagery.... " September's golden arms point the way to richer deeper things.An old fence row, lush with goldenrod; the wild side hills and roadsides, rich in their golden canopies of bloom,yield a brilliant glow that works deeply into the light of hot September suns.They point the way to flaming maple leaves across the upland hills and woods..." Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

LakesideQltr
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Sheila
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2004 :  11:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Send LakesideQltr a Yahoo! Message
Jeannie - I gave the Detective Agency book to my sweetie's sister in law last year when she had had a heart attack and bypass surgery. She's a very dramatic personality and I thought she'd like it but I've since learned that even while rehabbing and recovering she's just not a reader. Go figure!

I am in the middle of Secret Life of Bees, which thanks to you farm girls I felt I had to read. Yesterday I almost gave up on it, thinking it was too much like the Oprah Book Club books that I had found too depressing and hopeless to ever allow myself to ever read another OBC selection. I'm glad I pushed through though now...there's something soooooooooooo very special about a good narrative on the value of the company of women. (some of you misled me to believe it was all about the bees...LOL)
-Sheila

Life is what happens while you're making other plans - John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2004 :  2:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Sheila-- Keep reading it's sooooo good! Those characters stayed in my minds eye a long time after I read that book; like old friends. I thought I was the only one that felt that way about Oprah's selections for the most part(few exceptions...) I am going to take the suggestions from this site because so far everyone has read and liked alot of the same books I have. Anyone read Girl with the Blue Hyacinth? I picked that up at a yard sale this morning. Any Maeve Binchy fans out there? She has a new one out ! Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  09:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Girlfriends,
I just finished reading "The Mermaids Singing", Can't remember which one of you recommended it but it was a really good read. I wish I had been told to get out a big box of kleenex before I got started!
Today I began reading "The Dance of the Dissedent Daughter" so far Sue Monkk Kid could be writing about my life in a lot of ways. It is good to read about people who have had similar experiences with awakening to the feminine Spirituality. My journey was rough and turbulent,thrilling and frightening all at the same time. I can relate to this story.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  09:56:17 AM  Show Profile
Eileen, I LOVED the book "The Dance of the Dissedent Daughter". I think those of us raised in the 50-60's in mainstream religions can totally relate to this process of evolution that she chronicles. I had to put it down at times because I could "feel" her situations so much, and they resembled my situations alot....I'd take a deep breath and then proceed, knowing that only good comes from self exploration and that the Divine Feminine is a good thing! Spirituality always begins with awakening... and it's a continual process. I think you will enjoy her book.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  11:08:30 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I love the picture she writes about imagining that the artists, poets,bird watchers,childcare advocates etc got the same pay as the proffesional athletes and corporate CEOs, and the Tshirt she describes that says "what if the military had to have bake sales to raise money and the PTA got the Pentagon budget?" I'd wear one!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  11:31:41 AM  Show Profile
Wow Eileen and Clare you have just inspired me to find this book "The Dance..." Sounds like a genuine read I would gobble up! Am putting in my order today! Who authored this? We are all kindred on this forum! I too have been traveling a different spiritual journey from my conventional religious upbringing. I found as I hit middle age I was "starving my soul" and needed to look inward and find a different source for nourishment.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  11:35:50 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark Jenny, Welcome to the 'girls spiritual circle'!!!! The author is Sue Monk Kidd. Find her, gobble her up and you will be inspired to continue on....

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  12:01:54 PM  Show Profile
Clare, Jenny,
There is so much source material in her book that I went through as I was on this same journey, I wonder what year she began her awakening.
I began my awakening when I was 38 years old,15 years ago when I nearly lost my daughter to suicide. The doctor (Psyciatrist) after a family interview took me aside into a private conference away from my husband and children to explain to me that he thought My daughters action was an acting out of "my" buried hurts! I was shocked and amazed that he said this to me but as I proceeded to work through his statement I realised that this could be a very real truth and went to work to begin to discover the source. My husband and children took that journey with me that entailed a 7 year journey into Native American Shamanism as well as a study of other religions. A 10 year break from my extended family who thought I had a serious mental condition and would have had me committed if it were not for my husband, and the loss of some of my closest friends who thought my new found toung had to sharp a point.
This book describes much of the emotional turbulance that I experienced.
Sometimes I marvel that my husband stuck it out.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  12:02:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow - I did not know that Sue Monk Kidd had a new book out! You all have made my day, and the subject matter you have discussed about the book sounds like it is up my alley. I am going to look for it soon! Yeah, a new Sue Monk Kidd. I loved the Secret Life of Bees.

And I have read all of Maeve Binchy's books, as asked by Bramble. For some reason they bring me joy and good feelings. Even though they are not "deep" books, they radiate love for mankind with all their faults and foibles. I like reading about Great Britain, too, where these books take place. Did you ever read The Glass Lake by her?

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  12:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, The Dance of the Dissident Daughter was published in 1996.
Not new and aparently not well known because I had to have my library get it from another library in Illinois! Wish I had read it several years ago.
I too love Maeve Binchy!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  12:34:04 PM  Show Profile
OOOOOH, book talk! How have I not noticed this thread yet?

I have been on a mostly-non-fiction kick for a few years now. I have a book club, so whatever fiction we end up reading is about all the fiction I've been reading lately. I went to the used book store a few days ago and picked up "Snow Falling On Cedars" on recommendation from a friend and was disappointed. Oh well!

"Cold Sassy Tree" is one of my all-time faves, and was in fact the first book I started my book club with six years ago. Mostly we read classics, but we've also managed physics (Stephen Hawkings' two books for the layperson), philosophy, mythology, poetry, religion (including the Koran and Buddhist writings), and a good bit of history (John Adams was a big standout for last year; this year it's Frederick Douglass). Last month we read "Poisonwood Bible", which was my second time reading it. I haven't read any more Kingsolver, but I would like to. I'm going to write down some of the recommendations here to get me through the first few months of the new baby when it seems all I do is nurse!

Of course, having kids at home all day we read a good bit of Laura Ingalls Wilder, Dr. Seuss, Tasha Tudor, and Harry Potter!

Anyone ever read "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins? One of the first mystery novels ever written and a truly outstanding book. I also loved "The Moonstone" by the same author. Both use multiple narrators to tell the story from different perspectives. I wouldn't have picked either one of them up if it weren't for book club--it's the "box of chocolates" approach sometimes!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  2:43:52 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie your absolutely right about Maeve Binchy. Reading her books is like a shawl on a chilly day, a big cup of tea in front of the fire. You just feel good!
I am going to have to read "Dance of the Dissident Daughter" I have been one my whole life!
As for "The Woman in White" two seperate friends told me about it and now you Nikki so I am going to have to add it to my list!
For all you home schoolers or with kids...my son is reading Eragon (written by a teen age boy) and is LOVING it! Dragons, fantasy all that good stuff 11 year olds ought to be into! It was a Borders featured book a while back too!
Speaking of Borders...if you sign up for their online info you get GREAT coupons monthly, sometimes twice a month! Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Jenny
St. Joseph MI
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  2:58:56 PM  Show Profile

I also enjoyed reading the Red Tent. I have a tendency to read several books by one author and then move onto another. There are two other co-workers who read quite alot and we share books. Even paperback books are becoming expensive. We have a small bookstore in the town where I live. I try to buy books there instead of the larger chain stores. I've just completed the series of "Dearest Dorothy" books. Unfortunately, I've loaned all three out, and can't remember the name of the author. Looking forward to touching base with other readers.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  7:26:53 PM  Show Profile
I find a lot of my wonderful books at the good will and yard sales.Sometimes I go looking for one thing and come home with a couple real treasures I was not looking for.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  11:13:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! I think I was the one who suggested The Mermaids Singing. It was listed at the back of Secret Life of Bees, when I finished it.. Bramble, I too have been diappointed in some of Oprah's choices. having an English teacher for a mother, I was looking forawrd to her recommendations, but found most too difficult or depressing to finish. I LOVED Secret Life of Bees!!!! I really related to May. I was alway told I was a sensative soul since I was little (6-8).

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

LakesideQltr
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Sheila
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2004 :  11:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Send LakesideQltr a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone...been quite busy of late and not getting to read all your posts (partly due to switching my primary computer access and just not having the link here as accessible). But I have been reading - read another Kaye Gibbons book last week - A Virtuous Woman, one of those Oprah books I didn't finish the first try but after reading and loving Divining Women thought I'd give it another go. Still not loving it, but glad I read it thru. But I can recommend 'The Sunday Wife' by Cassandra King. Not really deep but interesting and entertaining characters and as I always seem to enjoy most - strong, seemingly unlikely friendship between women. I'll be looking for other writing by Cassandra King, wife of Pat Conroy who is author of a couple of my very favorite novels - 'Beach Music' and 'Prince of Tides'.
-Sheila

Life is what happens while you're making other plans - John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2004 :  4:31:31 PM  Show Profile
Well, eclectic it is. I was cleaning out my son's room and found a book a librarian had given him on Russian history (he is from Russia). I started reading it and got about half way through when the started talking about Russian authors....now you have to remember the wind is blowing and there's snow in the air....days are shorter, it's darker outside....I start thinking of the book/movie Dr. Zhivago...so I ordered some books by Ivan Turgenev and have already read two of them in the past week. It's like an addiction, this reading...

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2004 :  4:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Such a nice cozy way to spend a cold winter afternoon or night! I will be going in for surgery in a week so will begin my winter reading journey on Tuesday next while I spend time in my bed recovering and in my easychair exercising my poor traumatised muscles around my knee. Reading helps make the painful work seem easier. One of the most painful exercises I will have to do is believe it or not, sitting up in my chair with just my heal on a footstool that is level with the seat of the chair and putting a 5 pound weight on my knee to help it re learn to straighten out.I do this 3 times a day for 30 minutes. Other exercises are strength building and use pilates so require all of my attention.
Reading will be my friend.
Eileen

Edited by - Eileen on Nov 29 2004 4:43:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2004 :  1:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Hello Eileen, Will you have access to your computer- near-by? Perhaps a laptop? I hope so and I wish you a speedy recovery. It will be great having all the -mandatory- reading time won't it.
How long before you can expect full recovery? ~Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2004 :  4:10:53 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, Last year when I had the other one done my dear husband brought the computer and all its attatchments up to the top floor of the pole building where I was recovering for me so I would not miss out on anything in my e-mail box. Such a dear. I missed my wonderful office for a while but did not have to miss out on all my correspondence. I think he will do it for me this year too.
The recovery time takes about a year for full recovery but is mostly done by 6 months. I begin to go out of the house at around 3 weeks for PT but do not venture out for much else for about 6 to 8 weeks. It is just to tiring.Pain controll is the biggie for me as I seem to be allergic to the world of drugs. I did get to learn how to drive one of those neet grocery carts however. Funnnnn.Kind of like a motorcycle for grannies. They do have a few drawbacks however. How on earth are you supposed to reach the stuff above the second shelf and get it into the cart? They need to equip them with some sort of lift device or something inventive like that.
Eileen

Edited by - Eileen on Dec 01 2004 4:16:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2004 :  6:20:01 PM  Show Profile
Eileen- What about those grabber poles that they give you in PT? That would work and they make them quite slim but strong now. Had experience with them when my Dad was unable to walk and used one of those "buggies" as he called it to get around. Good luck, be well.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2004 :  8:03:51 PM  Show Profile
I used to clean house for a gal in a body cast who couldn't bend at the waist of course. She could pick up a dime off the kitchen floor with one of those grabbers..always amazed me!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Reading Room: Previous Topic Eclectic Reading Corner... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page