Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Washing a down comforter-what washer/dryer setting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Washing a down comforter-what washer/dryer setting Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  09:38:42 AM  Show Profile
I know that there was a thread many months back about this and I've been searching for it to no avail....

Our little precious, Daisy, peed on the comforter last night sometime, and I know I can wash it (I have frontloaders) but I don't remember the settings for the washer and the dryer.

Can anyone help? I think it's going to be an all day process and I'm getting started rather late

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  10:15:44 AM  Show Profile
My son just had the same thing happen, and I don't know what he washed his comforter on, but he dried it on the air setting with a clean tennis shoe in the dryer with it and it came out fine.

Heres a link that talks about it: http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/content/0,21770,1655634,00.html

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  10:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
The Garnet Hill Guide to caring for natural fibers says:
Down and Feather Pillows and Comforters
Profesional dry-cleaning is generrally recommended as most home machines can't accomodate the volume or weight of down products, and household detergents can strip the down of its protective lanolin cover. However, if the care label does indicate washability, use a large-capacity machine with a gentle action that won't stress seams, warm water and a very mild (non-alkaline) detergent, rinse thoroughly. If you must dry your comforter, be sure to use a dryer that will allow the comforter to have ample air/heat flow. This often requires a commercial dryer and many hours of drying.

The most important factor in the care of down products is the use of comforter covers and pillow ticks: protected from perspiration, soiling and wear, the down product itself should only need cleaning every two to three years. Regular fluffing and occasional airing will keep comforters and pillows fresh and healthy.

I've washed my down comforters for years with a mild detergent and I have rubber rings like dog-toy size that go in the dryer with comforter to help fluff the down while drying. I don't have a commercial size washer or dryer...it's worked fine...just needs to be checked and repositioned frequently. Hope it works out for you Jonni

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  10:32:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls....I just went back and put it on the delicate cycle, with a second rinse. I have tennis balls (I just have to collect them from the dogs :)) so I will pop those in, too.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  11:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Poor little Daisy Bad Seed. She's lived up to her name. :(

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  11:31:16 AM  Show Profile
You're tellin' me. She's on a roll--just now she howled at Justin because he was leaving and wasn't going to take her sister, Rose, for her daily ride....so Daisy Bad Seed spoke up on Rose's behalf. Bawooo! Bawooo! She said, then ran up and nibbled on his fingers!

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  11:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
She sure sounds like a bold little wench! Has she no shame about peeing on the comforter????? What a nerve! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Washing a down comforter-what washer/dryer setting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page