knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  09:21:57 AM  Show Profile
I really didn't know where to put this so I decided here would be as good as any place.
I have just about decided at the age of 53 to go back and get my college degree. The only problem is I have no desire to pursue my previous studies of Criminology and Journalism.
The two true loves of my life are art and reading.
Now, for my question, for those of you who are artists or have studied art, do you think art can be taught to someone or is it a natural talent.
I am by no means an artist, I paint some and have always dabbled but never enough to really show anything I do. But I cannot tell you how much I love art and was just wondering your perspective on the subject. I would really love to major in Lieterature and Art (this may be a midlife crisis thing here)
Thanks
Kathy

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  10:36:58 AM  Show Profile
Honey if you love it go for it. If your passionate about it then it doesnt matter if you have a natural talent for it(although its helpful). i say go for your dreams and enjoy yourself.

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  10:46:09 AM  Show Profile
I agree, Kathy. If you love it, go for it. You must have some kind of talent if you love it so much and while what we produce may not appeal to everybody, it certainly appeals to some. Take Picasso, for example. His work is highly sought after but I wouldn't want one. His work does not appeal to me in the least. Some folks like my work and some don't. It's all a matter of taste preferences.

Your age should have no factor in your decision. Some of us are simply late bloomers and it's never too late to pursue a dream. You go girl!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  11:25:30 AM  Show Profile
shoot who was that guy that made a living by simply splattering paint? ..Jackson Pollock..and honey chile' if a man can do it..surely a woman can! Go for it.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  11:57:48 AM  Show Profile
There was a guy at my ole alma mater that was 73 years old when he graduated. I think art can be something that is self learned, but you can learn about different perspectives through studying it. I took more music lessons and wish I had taken at least one art class while in college. I highly recommend at least taking a few courses. You'll learn new things that you may have never thought about. :)

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
Go to Top of Page

italianchildhood
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

172 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  06:38:41 AM  Show Profile
I think that being exposed to art in classes and to other artists and having your work looked at and critiqued (hopefully constructively) can add to your innate "artistness."
It sounds exciting, in fact--best wishes with whatever you decide.

----------------------
http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds listings
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  07:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I have always done art and believe every person is an artist. Any one that can look at math and see rhythms and patterns is a type of artist to me as I just can't fathom the stuff. Same goes for people who can write well I have never been able too.

That was the one of the reasons I started a blog a way to force myself to write each week and to put it out in front of people for critic like in my art classes. Some critics are harsh some are positive and happy if you go in thinking you can learn from it both are educational. Every thing can be taught or learned if the desire is there.

My oldest daughter is taking art classes in school she comes home and we have critics on her work. Some things the teacher teaches her some things mom does. In the end it is best to have a wide variety of teachers as each has differnt knowledge they can pass on.

Sad to say because a lot of art came easy to me I didn't listen as well as I should have in my art classes (100's of them) I wish I had now. School is some times wasted on the young as they don't know what they want yet but think they do. I should have taken more fiber arts and drafting and computer art as the stuff I took was pretty much old hack by the time I got to collage.

I had women in their 70's 80's and 90's in some of my classes one lady graduated when I did and she was 93 she said she was taking art for the love of it no better reason. I would love to go back and get a masters in fiber art not really conducive to my life at this point I hope to go back when I get older when my children have grown. It is never to late to learn something new.

I would love to be posted on how it goes and if you have questions I would love to help where I can.
Take care
sunshine

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Jan 06 2008 07:14:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  09:26:47 AM  Show Profile
Remember Grandma Moses? Go for it and have fun! Never too late. I don't mean that you are old...I'm the same age...you know what I mean, I hope....

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Jan 06 2008 09:28:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  10:31:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone so much for the encouraging words. I guess my biggest fear is someone asking "what in the world are you doing here?"
When I studied photography one of the first things the instructor said, was if you can't take criticism then you need to leave now. I think the only reason I stayed was because I was afraid I would turn the desk over trying to get out of the darn thing.
But I do appreciate all of your support and I will let you know what I decide to do.

Edited by - knewslady on Jan 06 2008 12:49:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  10:47:39 AM  Show Profile
No need to fear what others think. This is YOUR dream so who cares what anyone thinks about your being there, anyway? Do what you want! Besides, non-traditional students are very common now. You won't be the only one there with high school waaaaaaay behind you.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  7:17:58 PM  Show Profile
As much as I would love to advise you to not worry about what others think, I cracked up when I read your post about sticking the class out because you feared knocking over your desk on your way out! How refreshingly honest!
It is my very humble opinion that despite what we intellectually know, which is, that what others think is often inconsequential, emotionally, we care. Face it, when others offer criticism it can sting. We take it personally and many of us haven't developed either tough enough skin to let it roll off or a strong sense of detachment to not care and continue on. When someone pursues any kind of artistic expression it can create a real sense of vulnerability. You create something. You put it out there for the masses to like or dislike and they you deal with it. The insecure side of us wants everyone to like our work. The intellectual knows not everyone will like it. The egomanic in all of us wonders, "why not?" The grounded humorist in us all says, "earth to artist...earth to artist!" We can now laugh at ourselves, feeling once again empowered and strangely more free after having experienced taking a risk, being vulnerable and coming through unscathed.

Art at 53? to me, it begs the question, what is the "right" age for pursuing one's passion?

Mid-life crisis pursuing art and literature? Could be a lot worse!

I say, take a deep breath, remind yourself that this is a passion. Tell yourself that now is the time, because it is. Walk in that classroom knowing full well that you belong and embrace yourself as a "curiosity" if you are the oldest student. You can't blame people for wondering about you. Trust me, everyone will be inspired! I can pretty much guarantee 2 things will happen: your instructor will be thrilled to have someone in the class who is truly excited to be there and not filling some prerequisite and second, your insecurities will be NOTHING compared to the insecurities of the twenty-somethings in there trying to out-cool everyone else!

Best of luck to you as you make this decision, Kathy!! Keep us all posted!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  7:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My mom is an amazing artist. She works with just about every mediu you can possibly imagine. She continues to take classes as each artist has their own technique or style that they have created. I would say go for it! If nothing else it will get you to be out there doing art all the time and just by using your natural talent it will improve.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  7:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I forgot to mention that one of my all time favorite water color painters began painting at the age of 92!..no lie.. she was also the aerobics instructor in her assisted living home AND she told everyone that she was in her 60's and people believed her. She dyed her hair jet black and had more energy that you can imagine. I was very honored to know her for 4 years. She developed cancer and in a very short period of time died. I was also very honored to have been able to be with her about a minute after she had taken her last breath. It was something I'll never forget and she was someone I'll never forget. Her funeral was a hoot..all the gossip going around was really something else! She really had the last laugh!
~Julia

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  05:36:22 AM  Show Profile
Kathy...do it. I went a different path in college (more of a health degree). About 4 years after I recv'd my degree, I decided to take artsy type classes at a community college to "fill the creative void" that I wanted to pursue in college the 1st time but doubted my artistic abilities in the highly competive world of art. There, while taking those classes my perception changed a bit. I am still working at my transitional office job tho (something that I did in college to make a living) and I am still trying to figure where I can make this into a career that I "can live on" to get out of the "rut" that I am in...but I went and did something to help feed my inner being and to prove that hey, I can do this after all. So it is never too late to head on another path.

I remember in my 1st round of college when I did take some art classes, I also had a photography teacher that was not so "encouraging" and some of the students durring the critiques had the very same attitude :(

We are ALL artists in our own right......we all have some sort of artistic talent weather we believe it or not...and it manifests itself in a variety of ways sometimes.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do :-)

Farmgirl Sister #21

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com

Edited by - amyartgirl on Jan 07 2008 08:03:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  08:01:30 AM  Show Profile
Let me chime in here! I tried to post yesterday but I guess it got lost in cyberspace! I am an art teacher. I think that ABSOLUTLY you can do it! I actually went to college with very little art background. I had always choosen band in high school rather than art but I managed. It was truly what I wanted to do an I think I make up for what I lack in natural talent with passion and excitement. I believe anyone can learn to draw given the right tools.

That being said an art program is VERY time consuming! You will spend MANY MANY hours and lots of money on your projects. I remember feeling a little overwhelmed by the talents of some people in my classes but I made it through. You just have to stick with it and develop your own style.

I think it is a great choice if that is where your heart is! If you have any questions about what to expect in a program, let me know!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  10:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Yep, adding my two cents. I've been an artist in many different mediums, performance and fine art. I WILL differ here and say it's NOT easy, sometimes, to be an artist--I sometimes think this country does not value it's artists as it should, or maybe where it once did, but--as everyone else is saying...it is YOUR dream and you definitely have a right to pursue it!

You seem to have a lot of support here, Kathy, so ignore the nay-sayers and live the life you deserve! :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Question for you artists? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: