Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 One of our client's just brought SPRING!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic One of our client's just brought SPRING!!! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  11:54:48 AM  Show Profile
One of our client's, an elderly gentleman who owns a greenhouse and florist shop just showed up at our office with about 50 lbs. of cut flowers of all kinds--how dear!!! In this giant wrapped bundle were Wild flowers, carnations, gerbera daisys, Iris(es?), plum colored daisy's, white daisy's 5 kinds of asters, statis, and more--you name it! I separated them into 2 large vases for the lobby and reception, and then made 3 small bouquets for each of the paralegals, and then gave the rest to my boss for his wife. Right now, I'm looking at 6 smiling gerbera daisys and beautiful blue Iris(es?).

Ahh...C'mon Spring!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  11:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Lucky you, Jonni! Hooray! What a nice RAOK from him!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  12:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jonnie you lucky girl I cant wait for warm weather

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  12:17:51 PM  Show Profile
Me neither, Miss Wilma! Today I sat at the counter at Bob Evans and planned my garden out on paper, wrote down my list of "must haves" and listed what I want out of the garden and naturalized area's this year (BLACKBERRY CORDIAL!!!!!)...I guess our client must have heard my gears burnin' because he showed up right after I got back from lunch! In my thank you note, I thanked him for bringing Spring on such a cold, dreary day

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  1:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
So what new stuff are you planning, Jonni? I'm focusing on Kentucky native plants this year - trees and shrubs. I printed off a list from Shooting Star nursery in Lexington and I'm going over and over and over it. This trip is going to require my dh to drive the truck.....haven't told him, yet, though! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  1:19:39 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking the same thing--especially the native trees. I'd like to put some more winter color into the yard, and there are some native berry trees that Reminiscent Herb and Tree farm carries, and I was also thinking of some spring color. The one thing I don't have is a redbud tree (duh.). I'd be very interested in seeing that list from the nursery in Lexington. Is it online?

As far as veggies and things go, I'm doing all heirlooms--what I noted with great interest, was that in the Baker Creek catalog, a LOT of his heirlooms come from the hills of Kentucky. So, I'm going to try to harness them back home!

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  1:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I printed the Shooting Star list from their website. I love redbuds, too. I have a few that we've planted/transplanted. I try to plant them where I can see them from the trailer or the house. They are such a welcome early spring burst of color. And they're really easy to grow. They do like to reproduce themselves sometimes.....watch out you don't end up with a 'Rose of Sharon' style redbud infestation! ROFLOL!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  1:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Ohh...Who knew! Rose of Sharon....my nemesis!!!!!

You crack me up--

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  11:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Well I think my post got lost in webspace because I don't see it. A very useful website for KY native trees are:
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Horticulture/kytreewebsite/

Be sure to check with KU or your local electric company or extension office. Sometimes they will give out free tree seedlings around arbor day...and 90% of the time they include redbuds. :)

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  06:54:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh how wonderful Jonni!!! Now that Christmas is over-I'm ready for spring gardening too!!!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic One of our client's just brought SPRING!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page