miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  7:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Today I was upstairs and ran across a small house my four year old granddaughter and I had made, we spent the intire day doing this we took a cardboard box wallpapered the sides , found an old pc of carpet for the floor, we made furniture from small boxes thread spools and any thing we could find We cut windows out and a door then made curtains and strung with string and thumb tacks cut small pieces of dowel rod then got some old country living mags and cut labels for the small pcs that was the food cans for our cabinets,then cut pictures and mirrows out and glued to the walls, some of the furniture we made from wood blocks with pictures of furniture glued to them, It made one of the cutest doll houses you ever saw, when we got done little Brooke said Nana this has been the funnest day of my life, you know I could have bought her a big new toy but she will never forget our day, I am a strong believer that doing things with children means more than all the toys you can buy

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  7:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Wilma-
I had one of those cardboard little houses, made with my Mama - not quite as elaborate but contact paper on every surface and even some felt carpet. Later we bought a kit and made one with battery powered lights, a shingled roof, window boxed, and exact replicas of every little thing and it did not get a fraction of the use that the cardboard one did!!! I guess I know what Bella and I will do during Jack's naps once I find a good box, we will start saving scraps in a bag this week for the decor;)

Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  7:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca I did one with my daughter to but it was what brooke said that really touched me I hope when I am gone they can have good memories of me, I will ck to see what I might can find and put it in your box Miss Wilma

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  8:31:12 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful memory you have given her Miss Wilma!! I wish I lived closer to my little granddaughter. I try really hard to make memories when we are together.
I used to love making those kind of doll houses when I was a kid. It would have meant more to have someone special doing it with me. You are a treasure!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  8:44:48 PM  Show Profile
well i've never made one-- anyone want to adopt a "full grown grandchild" ??? those sound really neat, and made with love. Funny what a box can do to a child!

GOD Bless America! Stand up and fight for your FREEDOMS!!! freedomtofascism.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  8:46:10 PM  Show Profile
Jenny I live for those two girls, They get to do any thing they want to here, if its a mess so what I know it wont be long before they out grow me so I am going to make the most of everyday I am with them, They dont get to cook, make mud pies, sew or anything at their other grandmothers, My husband made them a wooden shot gun each a couple of years ago and they will go out for hours rabbit hunting with him,We get them almost every weekend and lots in the summer.

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  8:56:32 PM  Show Profile
What special fun you have with your granddaughters. One can make anything with a box and how the kids love them. My kids and I always made barns and stables--you know, for all their horses! ha. Maybe more memories for me than them. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  9:06:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey I didnt think before I wrote this but Mary Jane might get so invloved doing things with Stella she might not get time to write for us reacon. you know Mary Beth I might not have a lot of money but I made up my mind when they were born that I would be the best grandmother I could, I dont know why people think all these new toys and things makes them happy I do wish I had a little grand son to maybe I will get lucky with my son someday

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  10:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Such a precious memory. My grandmothers lived far from us as a child and I only saw them once each year. I have very few memories, but one very special one was making banana pudding ... just me and my grandmother. I still have her old banana pudding bowl. Each time I use it, that sweet memory just floods back. Miss Wilma, will have given your granddaughter a special gift that will long outlast anything material.

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  10:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Gosh when they are here I wonder how I could let this place get so messy then when they leave it is so lonesome, My grand mother was so good to me I will never forget getting to get in the old trunk and pick my very own feedsacks for a new dress, she never scolded me but one time and that was because I had slipped off and played in the river all day with a bunch of kids, she should have switched my legs good.

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  11:38:00 PM  Show Profile
My grandmother was my port in the storm as I grew up. She was the best darn farmgirl that ever lived. She did everything from delivering babies to making sewing patterns from brown paper, to making delicate wedding cakes, beautiful quilting, rebuilding a transmission...you name it. And she always wore an apron!! She was good at giving you a heart attack too, like the time at 80 years old my dad caught her way up in an old tree picking apples!
My best memories are of her patience and just spending time with me. I remember cutting pictures out of old Sears catalogues and gluing them to cardboard boxes just as you describe Miss Wilma. Your granddaughters will so cherish you, I certainly cherished mine.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  06:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Aw that is fabulous! That is what everyone keeps saying TIME that you give to a child or even a person is the most precious thing. You made something and gave her a great memory. I went through boxes of my toys, I was a very blessed/spoiled but never bratty lil girl but all I wanted was my mum to spend time with me. That's why I'm looking into jobs to do from home that will actually pay well and yet I'll be around. Miss Wilma I'm so happy for you and your lil gd :) It was so warming to hear.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  06:25:30 AM  Show Profile
That was a great day indeed Miss Wilma, thanks for sharing it with us. Both my grandmothers had a way of making even the most simple things seem grand. I remember getting excited going to either one of their houses just knowing they would have something fun going on. Making wax candles in vienna sausage cans, fixing a toy out of a button and string, or just going exploring in the woods. I know I'll never forget the times I had with each one of them. Grandmothers are very special people and so are you!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  11:45:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you sweet Lainey I to have dear memories of my grand mother

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  12:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for this great idea, Miss Wilma! I think I'm going to start a running list of 'Good Ideas for Instant Grandmas' so I'll be ready when my ds and his girlfriend(and her little girl) get married and move here!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  3:31:35 PM  Show Profile
Goodness - flowers on this cold day would be wonderful!! Looks like we'll have a "heat wave" with up to 50, maybe 60 by Monday! Good ole Kentucky weather...8 degrees today...60 degrees in a couple of days! haha

Here is a useful website on KY Trees that I've always used from UK:
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Horticulture/kytreewebsite/

The Redbud is a good easy tree to use. In the spring time, sometimes the local electric company here (KU) will hand out free seedlings. I'll try to keep my eyes and ears peeled on info. usually it is around Arbor Day.

Gosh - ya'll are making me think of garden beauties for the spring!!

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  5:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Amen to that, Sister! I'm 31 years old, and I cherish every memory I had with Granny. And hang on to that little house for your grandbaby! I count a little rag doll made out of a red knee sock that Granny and I made one rainy day as one of my most cherished possessions.
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  6:55:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Jessie Mae,I used to do lots of antique buying in Michigan up around Claire haven tbeen there for years miss wilma

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic the best day of my life Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page