Page: of 2

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  6:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Just wondering, with all the healthy food talk, does anyone eat Ezekiel bread or make spelt bread?

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  7:23:18 PM  Show Profile
OH Yeah!! I love it!! It is very hearty & full of great things. Not to get too gross, but it will also clean you out like a broom.
I love to eat a slice with a farm fresh egg or two..
YUMMY!!
I like the regular original bread in the orange wrapper, but have also tried the cinnamon raisin bread & that is a nice change of pace. I would highly recommend it.
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  7:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
I love the Bread Beckers recipe for Ezekiel bread. Has anyone else ever tried it?

Denise
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  8:25:14 PM  Show Profile
I love Ezekiel bread, which I buy at our local natural foods store. I also enjoy Ezekiel bagels, which make AMAZING sandwiches. My favorite is Avocaod/Cheese/tomato/mayo/mustard. As you can imagine, it's very filling.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  8:30:01 PM  Show Profile
I love Ezekiel bread, which I buy at our local natural foods store. I also enjoy Ezekiel bagels, which make AMAZING sandwiches. My favorite is Avocaod/Cheese/tomato/mayo/mustard. As you can imagine, it's very filling.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  9:03:55 PM  Show Profile
My daughter introduced me to Ezekiel bread. It is very good and that is saying something because I am not a bread eater. I'll have to find the bagels. Robin the amazing ACTMM sandwich sounds yummy. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Jan 02 2008 9:04:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  10:59:58 PM  Show Profile
I also love Ezekiel Bread and all the other products they have. I buy mine at the health food stores. Any sandiwch taste better on that bread and it's healthy to boot.

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  04:26:33 AM  Show Profile
I haven't tried Ezekiel bread but I make spelt bread. I like it, can't really tell the difference between that and wheat bread taste-wise.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  05:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Wow! I can't believe how many of you knew what I was talking about. My homeopathic doctor put me on it almost two years ago because it is a protein not a starch. I have a muscle weakness condition because my body can't store B12 which comes from proteins.

Leezard: Would you share your recipe for spelt bread?

I don't care for the bagels but I do love the regular bread (a fresh farm egg on buttered/grilled bread, yummy), cinnamon/raisin (for breakfast with wheat germ, cinnamon, and bee pollen), and the buns. The buns make a sandwich a meal! I also love to grill the bread/bun with a little butter, garlic powder, and melt raw cheese, or leave the cheese off for garlic bread that goes good with spaghetti.

I'm getting hungry; I haven't had breakfast yet.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  06:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I love Ezekiel bread too, Lynn. There is a company named 'Food for Life' that makes a cereal called 'Ezekiel 4:9' - I've had a plain version and a cinnamon raison version. I'm not a raison fan, so the plain one is my absolute favorite cereal.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  06:32:38 AM  Show Profile
I have used Ezekial bread now for years. I like the sesame bread but one of my favorites is the cinnamon raisin. I haven't tried the bagels. I looked at them but thought they might be just too much. But I will try them. I also haven't tried the buns but think I will. Ezekial bread is soooo much better for the system than regular bread.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  08:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
mmm! It sounds yummy! I will have to buy some and try it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  08:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
[quote]Originally posted by Miss Bee Haven

I love Ezekiel bread too, Lynn. There is a company named 'Food for Life' that makes a cereal called 'Ezekiel 4:9' - I've had a plain version and a cinnamon raison version. I'm not a raison fan, so the plain one is my absolute favorite cereal.

I'm not a cereal person, I don't like milk, but a friend tried the plain cereal and didn't like it so she gave it to me. I made a delicious granola out of it. It was Yum-o.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  6:15:16 PM  Show Profile
I like Ezekiel bread, too. Okay, now I have to go to New Leaf Organic Market tomorrow and get some!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  6:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Alee-If you like whole grain breads, you'll really like this bread. It is a firm bread which makes great toast. Just remember, it is a protein so it will fill you up faster. In the summer, I had a tomato slice along with a slice of raw cheddar cheese on buttered bread. I toasted it just enough to make the cheese melt. Yum-o

jpbluesky-I never heard of New Leaf Organic Market before. Is it a chain store?

A new Dierbergs was built this past summer just 20 minutes from me. They carry all the Ezekiel products along with my raw sugar and raw cheddar cheese. Has anyone tried the new hot dogs with no preservatives, nitrates? They are very good.

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  7:22:21 PM  Show Profile
At our co-op they have Ezekiel english muffins in raisin cinnamon-mmmmm.

As far as spelt bread goes- it is a favorite to make because it only rises once in the pan and then you pop it into the oven- it is fast and SOOOO good. It is expensive to make- I think at least $3 a loaf unless you buy the flour in 50 lb bags;)

Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  04:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Rebekka,
Would you share your recipe for spelt bread? Does it come out dense?

I haven't seen the English muffins anywhere. I'll have to ask at the stores.

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  04:49:19 AM  Show Profile
I make and eat the Bread Beckers recipe for Ezekiel Bread. I like using the Ezekeil Bread flour to make waffles and pancakes.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  05:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
UrbanChick-Do you grind the beans and grain yourself?

I haven't tried waffles with spelt flour (I don't like pancakes) but I have made oatmeal cookies and scones. So gooooood! And I am not a sweet eater.

Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  06:14:29 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, I will get you the recipe that I've got :)

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  5:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Yes I also eat ezekiel bread 4:9, great for anyone who can not tolerate yeast too.. The english muffins are great too!!
I used to own a health food store here in our town & It was a popular item..
I like it toasted with almond butter...yum!
Laura

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  6:18:36 PM  Show Profile
Yep I have a wheat grinder that can grind the beans too. I haven't purchased flour in over 2 years I just grind my own.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  6:58:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi, this is Leezard's mom and here is the Spelt bread recipe we use
2 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup apple juice
2 pkgs of quick rise yeast
2 teaspoons of sea salt
1/4 cup of vegatable oil
8-9 cups of spelt flour
2-4 tablespoons of honey (optional)
Combine the water, apple juice, honey and yeast in a large bowl, let set about 10 minutes or until foamy. Add 4 cups of flour and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 7-10 minutes. (while beating the gluten should form long strands in the dough and then the dough should start climbing up the beaters, sometimes it doesn't for me but the bread turns out ok) Remove the beaters and mix the rest by hand. Mix in the oil and salt, and 1-2 cups of flour, until the dough reaches a consistency you can handle, put the dough on a floured surface with a cup of the remaining flour. Knead about 10 minutes adding flour as needed, let the dough absorb enough flour to make it firm and elastic. put the dough in a large oiled bowl and turn it over once so the top gets oiled too. cover bowl and let rise in a warm place, free of drafts, until doubled in size, about 30-60 minutes. Punch down the dough and shape into three loaves. put each loaf into an 8x4 inch loaf pan. Set aside to rise again until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Immediatley run a knife around the edges of pan and remove loaves from pans, cool on racks.
I have used half whole spelt flour and half white spelt flour and it turns out good.
I use spelt in most of my recipes in place of regular unbleached flour with good results.
Hope this helps you out.
Pam
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  7:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks mom! I didn't even know you'd posted on here since you got you screen name a few months ago. :)

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  07:30:32 AM  Show Profile
Pammy
This sounds like a winner. I eat the Ezekial bread but it will be nice to try this too.
Go to Top of Page

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  08:52:11 AM  Show Profile
I thought of something about the bread recipe, if I don't have any apple juice I just use the same amount of water as it calls for apple juice. Pam
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Does anyone eat Ezekiel Bread? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page