lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  11:13:04 AM  Show Profile
Looking through all the seed catalogs and thinking about the fresh veggies from my garden has me dreaming about salads. I really want to get my husband away from ranch dressing. Not that I don't like the stuff, but come on, there are more options out there. DH is a heavy-on-the-dressing kind of guy, too. He will admit that other kinds are good once he tries them, but getting him out of the ranch rut is gonna be tough. So I am looking for new dressings. I have a list that I want to try, but I figured this would be the place to get the best homemade ones out there.

So what are your favorites?

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  11:18:31 AM  Show Profile
Seems like folks who like ranch usually will like a creamy garlic made with buttermilk, or a really nice light blue cheese (I don't like ranch, but I like blue cheese if made well)...there are some great recipes out there without the chunks...

I have a wonderful cookbook for "prairie" cuboard keeping, and she has great recipes for all kinds of dressings...I'll look at it when I get home.

At least your man will eat salad. Mine calls it "rabbit food" and refuses to eat lettuce of any kind, and no dressings at all--because they're condiments!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  11:59:02 AM  Show Profile
my hubby only eats ranch too. I cant stand the stuff.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  12:02:12 PM  Show Profile
I will say this...I typically don't eat it on salad or anything else, but someone got a pizza here at the office with jalapeno's and fresh tomatoes, and the crust was covered in sesame seeds, and they dipped it in ranch. I had a piece and I think probably the ranch dressing made it. It was yummy...but I probably wouldn't go to that much effort for a pizza....

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  12:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Everyone in my family likes Italian or a fresh viniagrette best except my husband..he loves ranch or blue cheese(ugh!) and nothing else..won't even try. I guess I just have to accept that at least he WILL eat the salad. I am glad the kids are more adventurous!
good luck!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  12:54:16 PM  Show Profile
I have several good, homemade recipes for salad dressings. Spinach, thousand islands, french, blue cheese, garlic/dill, etc. I will gladly post if there's something in particular you'd like.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  1:05:50 PM  Show Profile
My husband used to like homemade French dressing until he watched me make it. Something about it turned him off I guess, because now he'll only eat store-bought - like it's something entirely different! ;)

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  1:38:47 PM  Show Profile
Yes, DH likes salad, which is great. I just hope he continues to like them when I only serve one dressing a night and it's not ranch.

Jonni, that pizza sounds great, but I wouldn't have thought about ranch and pizza, either.

Diane, I would love any recipes you feel like typing up. The spinach and anything with garlic sound yummy.

Jennifer, that is too funny. I could understand if there was some weird secret ingredient. I am glad my dh thinks its cool if I can make something from scratch.

I also don't tell my husband what we are having for dinner until it is served. He thinks it is sheerly for the surprise of it, but really, it is in case I screw up and have to transform it into something else. :D
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  1:40:17 PM  Show Profile
Jonni~ No condiments?
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  1:41:51 PM  Show Profile
Jonni~ No condiments?
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  1:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Toni, he likes that I can cook from scratch but he hates watching anything being made. He doesn't want to see brownie batter, etc or uncooked meat - he'll grill the meat, but he doesn't like looking at it! :D

I'm married to a big, picky baby!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  1:44:39 PM  Show Profile
None. He won't eat ketchup, mustard, mayo or dressings--hamburgers, cheeseburgers all plain. Won't even scrape it off if they make a mistake. Won't eat potato salads because a) potatoes shouldn't be in SALADS and b) any combination of mayo/mustard depending on if you make Irish or German style.
No slaws
No vinegar

Exceptions to the rule: steak with worcestshire sauce, white sauce over peas and creamed dried beef, ketchupy bbq sauce on meatloaf.

Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  1:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Jonni. I think my husband would die without ketchup. I buy a huuggggeeee bottle every time I go to the store, just in case. I bet I have four in my pantry right now. I hoard it like I do butter (of which I probably have 10 pounds in my freezer). I shudder to think what would happen if I ever ran out.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  1:50:01 PM  Show Profile
I live for it, too, Jennifer. I LOVE homemade ketchup, also. We used to have an elderly neighbor who made it every year with her bumper tomato crop. MMMM. He's a freak. When we get french fries together somewhere (we often share because he eats like a bird) I have to ask for a seperate plate so I can put my ketchup on it and it WON'T touch his fries. I also pepper them, too, which he doesn't care for

Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  1:55:57 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Jonni, it is good that you are such a whiz in the kitchen!

I am really eternally grateful that my husband is not picky. The only thing I can think of that he won't eat is salmon. I won't know what to do if my son grows up to be picky. I knew a guy in college who, for nearly a year of his life, ate only PB & J. Grape jelly.

Jennifer, that is hilarious! Is he a picky eater once it is made?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  2:02:19 PM  Show Profile
My husband often says that food is just for survival. He really doesn't LOVE food like I do, though to watch him eat creamed peas, you'd never know that for sure...

That's funny about the guy with pb & j. It's a wonder he didn't weigh a million lbs.!!!! My neighbor growing up was told that he had serious food allergies, so he only ate grilled cheese and hot dogs until he was about 27. One day last year, he invited us out to dinner and spent the whole time marveling over chicken fingers!!!!! He had JUST started eating chicken at 34!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  2:13:36 PM  Show Profile
Toni, he is SO picky. He won't eat any other cheese except American. He won't eat onions, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, etc.

I never cook for just myself, but yesterday I whipped up some fajitas just because I missed Mexican food so much.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  4:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Jonni
I didn't realize that Jus wasn't a foodie like you. I guess that explains his 28 inch waist!!
I am very lucky.. Jim will eat anything(except beets, cherries, sauerkraut & believe it or not ICE CREAM) He even ate my quinoa,leftover chicken, kale, disaster that I wouldn't touch.
As far as the ranch dressing goes, I have a great recipe for homemade if anyone is interested.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  8:16:00 PM  Show Profile
I know, right? He really isn't a foodie at all. When we first met, his idea of an appetizer was Totino's pizza rolls fried in bacon grease. Now, I'm not sayin' they weren't good---just not what I had in mind!

I'm glad that Jim eats whatever--I LOVE to see men eat well. I just got a great cookbook about pies, that talks about the connection between women, sensuality and the ability to "hook" men with their cooking. It was written by an african american woman and it is a HOOT, but also rings true!

Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  06:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Lisa, I would love a homemade ranch dressing recipe. My kids love the stuff, but I can't stand the bottled stuff. Maybe if I could make it, I might like it.

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  07:56:21 AM  Show Profile
Sherry
Here is ranch recipe. This is from my low carb days, so it is not lo cal, but very good. I suppose you could change some of the ingredients to a lower fat, but we all know, full fat tastes the BEST!
1 1/2 Cup Mayo
1/2 Cup sour cream
1/4 Cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
Combine in blender & refrigerate. Will thicken even more when chilled. I have also used fresh garlic if you like a very garlicky dressing.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  08:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
Your friend & the chicken fingers reminds me of a story. My friend (who is also a foodie) had a blind date with this guy & he said he wanted to go somewhere fancy, & he picked Fridays!!
Then he told her he was gonna get something a little crazy & ordered chicken tenders & acted like he was having a Ruby steak or something.
You guessed it..1st & last date
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  08:05:01 AM  Show Profile
AAAGGHHH. I would kill myself if that happened...wait, it did. And my first (and last) date took me to Barleycorns....That's hysterical that he ordered "fancy" chicken fingers!!!!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  08:09:55 AM  Show Profile
Maybe the same guy
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  5:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Thanks Diane, now that sounds more like something I would like.

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  07:59:35 AM  Show Profile
Here are few recipes I gleaned off the internet...
The first one I used for making the spread for veggie pizza, and was great!
I love veggie pizza and it called for Hidden Valley Ranch Mix, but has MSG in it. So I wanted to find an alternative.

Ranch dressing mix
1 tbs dried parsley flakes
1/2 tbs dried minced onion
1-1/8 tsp garlic powder
1-1/8 tsp onion powder
1/3 tsp dill weed
2-1/4 tsp salt

Combine all and store in an airtight container.

To make dressing, combine 1 tbs mix with 1 cup buttermilk and 1 cup mayo.

Ranch dressing mix
Ingredients
•1 1/2 Tbsp. dried parsley
•1/2 Tbsp. dried chives
•1/4 Tbsp. dried tarragon
•1/2 Tbsp. lemon pepper
•1 Tbsp. salt
•1/4 Tbsp. oregano
•1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
•In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients. Store in an airtight container.
Directions
1.Attach this to the jar:
2.Ranch Dressing
3.Makes 1 cup
4.1/2 cup mayonaise
5.1/2 cup buttermilk
6.1 Tbsp Ranch Dressing & Dip Mix
7.In a large bowl whisk together the mayonaise, buttermilk and dressing & dip mix. Refrigerate for one hour before serving.
8.Ranch Dip
9.Makes 2 cups
10.2 Tbsp. Ranch Dressing & Dip Mix
11.1 cup mayonaise or low fat mayonaise
12.1 cup sour cream or low fat yogurt
13.Combine the Ranch Dressing & Dip Mix with mayonaise and sour cream. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving with raw vegetables, or as a topping for baked potatoes.

Ranch-Style Dressing Mix
INGREDIENTS:
•7 saltine crackers
•3/4 cup dry minced parsley flakes
•1/4 cup dry minced onion
•1 tablespoon dry dillweed
•2 tablespoons onion salt
•2 tablespoons garlic salt
•2 tablespoons onion powder
•2 tablespoons garlic powder
•Dressing
•1 tablespoon mix
•1 cup mayonnaise
•1 cup buttermilk
PREPARATION:
Dry Mix:
In an electric blender, blend crackers on high speed until powdered. Add parsley, minced onions, and dill weed. Blend again until powdered. Dump into bowl. Stir in onion salt, garlic salt, onion powder, and garlic powder.

Ranch Dressing Mix
Everyone loves the powdered ranch dressing mix. Well, I have the recipe! I was lucky enough to have all the ingredients on hand. I actually like it a little better than the store bought.
Ingredients
•1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
•1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
•1/4 tsp. MSG. (optional)
•1/4 tsp. salt
•1/8 tsp. garlic powder
•1/8 tsp. onion powder
•pinch dried thyme
Mix dried ingredients together in small bowl.
To Prepare
•1/2 cup mayonnaise
•1/2 cup buttermilk
•Ranch Dressing Mix
Directions
Whisk mayonnaise and buttermilk together. Add Ranch Dressing Mix. Mix together. Refrigerate. Mmmmmmm!
By cookiemom1 from Gilmer, TX

Dry Ranch Style Seasoning for Dip or Dressing
INGREDIENTS
•1 teaspoon dried parsley
•3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
•1 teaspoon seasoned salt
•1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
•1/4 teaspoon onion powder
•1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
DIRECTIONS
1.In a small bowl, stir together the parsley, pepper, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder and thyme. Use as a substitute for Ranch Dressing Mix.
Uses
To make dressing, mix this recipe with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk.
For dip, mix this recipe with 1 3/4 cups sour cream and 1/4 cup of buttermilk.
Use in place of one packet of Ranch dressing mix in recipes.

RANCH - STYLE DRESSING AND DIP MIX
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. dried minced garlic
8 tsp. dried minced onion
2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 tsp. granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp. paprika
2 1/2 tsp. parsley flakes
Combine all ingredients. Store in airtight container. Give mix with the recipes for dressing and dip. Yield: 1/2 cup mix.
Dressing: Combine 1 tablespoon mix with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk. Blend well.
Dip: Combine 1 tablespoon mix with 1 cup sour cream; blend well. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving with vegetables.
Ranch Dressing
•1 cup mayonnaise
•1 cup buttermilk or yogurt (dry buttermilk is fine)
•2 teaspoons parsley
•1 teaspoon onion powder
•1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•Dash of dill weed
•1/8 teaspoon pepper
Get out a medium sized bowl. Measure the mayonnaise into it. Gradually whisk in the buttermilk or yogurt. If you use powdered buttermilk, whisk in the powder first, and then slowly add a cup of water. Then add the seasonings. Whisk again. Or you can make it in the blender by putting everything into the blender and whirling until smooth. The mixture will be a little thin, but it will thicken on standing. Store in a pint size jar, makes 2-cups. Keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks. Tastes really good with yogurt by the way. This is my favorite way of making it. It tastes good with powdered buttermilk too, but the consistency is thinner than with yogurt.
Note: If desired, you may add a tablespoon of Parmesan Cheese and/or a tablespoon of lemon juice to the dressing in addition to the seasonings above.

Enjoy...
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Not Hidden Valley Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page