jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  12:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi fellow farmgirls- I have been thinking about this topic a lot lately. I went for my annual physical last month and found that my cholestoral level is 246. LDL 161, and HDL 85. I do not like to take drug medications, and do not take any, other than tylenol and aspirin. The doctor was unconcerned and told me to exercise more(that is my downfall, I do not run or cycle or take exercise classes). I weigh 118. I am 5'3". That is not overwieght!

Today I got a book from the library about this subject, and I want to know more. I eat lots of dark green salads, nuts, almond milk, english muffins, yogurt, fruit, and do not eat red meat headly ever! I thought I was doing a good job on my diet.

Do any of you have this problem?
jpbluesky

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  1:12:28 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, I hear ya! You might want to consider the books that discuss liver cleansing. High cholestral is a result of the liver not being able to process the cholestral efficiently and correctly. Over the course of our lives this organ really takes a hit.

I've found very interesting reading from Dr. Sandra Cabot, who's a vivascious Australian doctor. She suggests many different ways to tweak your diet, little different things that can add up to a positive cumulative effect on how your liver functions. Seems everyone touting taking care of your liver also sells a herbal tonic of some sort that makes this happen faster. Personally, I think those to be optional; but like I posted previously, that is what I used to bring down my cholestral so dramatically in such a short time.

So, one place to start is at her website. http://www.liverdoctor.com/ Or you can do a google search and come up with alot of different possibilites. You just have to go with your instincts on what is best for you and your body.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  1:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Clare - two years ago I had my gall bladder removed. I know that this caused my body to have to rediscover how to process fats. So that may be part of the problem...my liver and it's work. I will look into the link you suggested.
Please refresh my memory - where did you post previously on this topic? Thanks!

Do you eat mostly raw foods? From my research and study, this is where the road always leads. Fresh fruits, veggies, and unprocessed foods should make up our diets.
jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 16 2005 1:56:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  2:02:54 PM  Show Profile
My previous post was in the Health Category, Topic: Good News!!!

I eat alot of raw foods, but not strictly only that. They always recommend juicing foods for optiomal effect-easier for the body to process.

I have a feeling that my body is also not too keen on wheat products. <GASP>, which is exactly what I crave... breads, pastas, etc. I'm experimenting with rice alternatives. Some things our bodies seem to tolerate, but once we eliminate them from our diet, we find that we function sooo much better excluding them than we ever dreamed we would.

It's a process, trial and error.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  2:09:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jeannie-
My DH's cholesterol was way high 2 years ago, and before meds, we tried diet. I had read somewhere that virgin olive oil can add to 'good' and take away 'bad' cholesterol, so we started eating lots of fresh veggies w/olive oil over pasta...and he cut out the daily lunch trip to McD's. 2 months later, more blood work, and the doctor personally called my DH, amazed that his counts were all in the normal range :)
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  3:05:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Wisgal and Clare! I thought with my diet change this would happen for me, too, but perhaps I have not been diligent enough! I have heard rapid weight loss can cause cholestoral levels to rise, but it has been two year since I lost my weight (25 pounds).

I am going to continue to research natural paths to lowering it, because I do not want to take meds!

jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 16 2005 3:05:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  3:12:46 PM  Show Profile
Later, my DH did slip up with the diet, and the doctor put him on Lipitor. After a month, DH had lots of bad reactions too it, muscle fatigue, headaches, etc. The bad experience gave him the impetus he needed to get back on the good diet track. So far, so good. And we stopped buying the half side of beef -- he just couldn't help himself when the freezer was stocked... or maybe that was the problem, he COULD help himself :)

It's wonderful that people look for other options besides pills. Even if you are not a 'fitness nut,' just walking every day, gardening, etc., all counts for excercise.
Go to Top of Page

Lazycreek
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Charlee
Mt Ida AR
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  8:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Red Yeast Rice. Studies have shown that it is as effective as the statins without all the side effects. I buy mine on line from allstarhealth.com. The pharmaceutical companies are trying hard to get it removed from the market, so not sure how much longer you will be able to buy it. Also avoid all foods that have "partially hydrogenated" in the ingredient list. Bad, bad, bad.

Believe in the power of your dreams
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  03:44:08 AM  Show Profile
Cathy,
If you want to try a bottle of red yeast rice.
I bought one for my husband who won't try it.
It's never been open, e-mail me privately and I'll send it to you.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  08:32:10 AM  Show Profile
Clare - thank you for refreshing my memory - I had even replied to your Good news topic!!! Oh boy, the memory is going too! Sorry about that!

jpbluesky
heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 18 2005 08:49:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  08:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Also Salmon is good for cholesterol as is Oatmeal!

Ciao
Alee
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  4:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Karen, so nice of you to offer, but my DH & yours are on the same page when it comes to that type of thing.

And, goodness, can't believe I forgot about statins! There are many plant-based sterols that do work wonders on cholesterol, and are becoming widely available in margarine type products like Take Control, Benecol and the like.
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  3:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Had a huge scare with my Mom about a month ago. I believe she was on Lipitor to control her high cholestrol, but her doctor switched her to a new medication. I was home briefly, and she did not look good. I went home, and then in the wee hours of the morning I got a call from my sister saying Mom's at the hospital, but no use coming home yet. I had an awful, awful day and then called home. Mom was fine, but staying overnight in the hospital just to be sure. My family isn't at all medically oriented, so all I could get out of them was that my Mom's electrolytes were completely out of wack. From what I could gather, the new cholestrol medicine my Mom was taking gave her diarrhea and nausea, and the resulting electrolyte imbalance was due to her not eating or drinking enough. She's back to the old medication now, but it was scary! And I can't get her on any natural "cures" even though I took a nutrition course, and know ways of reducing her high cholestrol naturally by 20-30%! You know, taking some supplements, exercise, eating certain foods.... It's so very, very frustrating! And this scare has done nothing to convince my Mom that she should look to alternative methods. UGH!

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Cat
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  5:14:37 PM  Show Profile
I wish, Cat! It's so frustrating because we can't force people to do what's good for them. Some people are just more comfortable sticking with Typical American Medicine. These are usually the same people who continue to eat lots of red meat and processed food and overcooked veggies... Why not - they can just take a pill if they get sick!

Jeannie - it's also true that some people just produce a lot of cholestrol, naturally. Diet isn't always the problem and it certainly sounds like you're doing most of the right things. Hopefully, some of these other suggestions will help. TRY, TRY to exercise more and the olive oil is a good way to go, too. Keep us posted on how you're doing. I'd like to see how these suggestions work!
Marlene
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  7:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Marlene, I will keep you posted!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  9:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jeannie,

We sound similar. I had similar numbers as yours, gallbladder out about 5 years ago, but I am indeed overweight. However, I agree with the liver detox thing. We just got a doctor of natural medicine and she recommended a detox tea for me. I also happen to be detoxing from prescription pain pills. The oatmeal thing also worked for me to bring down the cholesterol, but it has to be the old fashioned kind to really work well, I think. I dropped 20 pts. in 4 weeks. But the numbers are still not in balanced, not enough good and too high overall. Some of this may be hereditary. Heck my dad lived to be 89 with high bp and cholesterol and never had more than a head cold and back surgery.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  03:41:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jana,
I'm curious, who's your Dr.? I'm currently without one.
Thanks
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

jillofalltrades
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Nicole

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  6:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jillofalltrades's MSN Messenger address  Send jillofalltrades a Yahoo! Message
I wanted to add that Omega 3 is awesome for cholestrol. I had high cholesterol at the age of 23 due to PCOS but once I started taking Omega 3 and eating more green veggies & whole wheat it is back to normal. There are a lot of articles online on how Omega 3 helps diabetes and high cholesterol.

~Nicole
www.thelazydeaux.com
http://farmgirlsoflouisiana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic High Cholestoral Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page