Page: of 2

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  1:08:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm just wondering if any of you have a smallish house and a big family? We have a one and a half story house with two small bedrooms upstairs and a landing that we use for a toy room. On the main floor we have a dining room, office that connects to the living room, kitchen, tiny bathroom, and laundry room. I want to have a lot of kids (we already have two and one on the way) but hubby says our house is too small. I figure we can someday turn the office into a bedroom so we will have one room, and boys and girls will have another. What do you think?
-Elizabeth

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  2:05:27 PM  Show Profile
My grandma grew up with 4 siblings, in a teepee. (one room) They, and their parents all lived in one TeePee, about the 10 feet wide.....

It wasn't that long ago that our grandparents were living in teepees, and one room cabins. I think society has gotten too much into every one "needs" their own room!

I have 15 siblings (yes fifteen, not five).........I don't think every one needs their own room. lol Sounds pretty big what you have to me!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  3:07:54 PM  Show Profile
My house is fairly small. It has three bedrooms, two baths. The kitchen, living room and dining room all open into each other in one big space and then a family room and of course, Rita, my craft room. (Named for my grandmother.)
I love my little house. It is comfortable and warm and provides us with everything we need. (And it was perfect for raising our three kids.)
My mother grew up in a house that had a living room, dining room, kitchen, one bath, a bedroom downstairs for my grandparents and one big one up in the attic that Mom shared with her four sisters. It was the perfect house for them.
When we lived in the duplex, all three of my children slept in the same room. And you know what? The three of them are really close today. I'm not saying they didn't argue and fight, all those normal things brothers and sisters do. But, the thing that transcended all of that was the bond created between the three of them. They each look back at that time as one of their favorites. Go figure.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  3:23:16 PM  Show Profile
The house My husband and I lived in and raised our 4 daughters was maybe 1000 sq.feet. It was one bed and one bath with a finished attic room. All babies were up stairs in the attic room when we were able to add on. We just went out the front and the width of the house 12 feet but by reconfiguring the living room we added 2 bedrooms downstairs for a total of 3 and still had the attic room. So 4 bedrooms and still one bath with no shower. I raised 4 daughters to adult hood there and the biggest lesson you learn in a small house is how to get along and of course SHARING. 4 teenagers at the same time and one bathroom--YES--it can be done. We loved there 30+ years. It is gone now--progress ya know--I miss that house. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  3:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Ours is 1/2 story. about 1500 feet.
3 bedrooms up stairs. and 3 rooms downstairs
I have somewhat a large kitchen with a walk-in-pantry
I have 4 doors in there so it is smaller by those
We are going to soon build our retirement home in the country on a family farm.
We will have a farm house ranch style.
I have a really large kitchen with a old fashioned fireplace
I will have a walk in pantry
Plus a pantry in the kitchen part
It will be a kitchen with a dinning room in it too.
This farm was in my Husband's family for years
there are 5 boys. the youngest is in his 40's and retared
but he can still help some on the farm
The farm has been dived between the other 4 boys
There is the really old farmhouse that one of the younger brothers have lived
He is a contractor and he is fixing up the place as he can afford it
The oldest brother built his house already.
Took 3 years ; because they had a bigger home to build
My hushand and the one that is a contractor did most of the work
There is a creek that runs through the land
We are raising cattle we have only 2 now though
We are waiting on the Health department to get their act together so we can got to another small town ( where we will have to go for all the farm stuff and thingys)
We have to go and get a will made and then we will go to the bank
We live in the city now
I can't wait to get back in the country on the farm
As most of you know I grew up on a farm in a 4 room cabin with no indoor plumbing
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  3:51:57 PM  Show Profile
My parents had 8 kids. Our house was approximately 1800 sq ft, with 4 bedrooms and 1 bath. It was certainly big enough, but I really pined for a room of my own. There's something to be said for privacy, even if you don't have a lot of space. I remember reading a book about a large family (one of Madeleine L'Engle's but I don't remember which at the moment) where the parents divided two or three bedrooms with partitions, so that each child could have a little bit of their own space. I thought it was a good idea, but unfortunately my parents didn't agree.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  4:23:41 PM  Show Profile
My mom's family had 12 kids and grew up in a house with two bedroom + an enclosed back porch. There were 4 boys and 8 girls, so the boys slept in bunks on the back portch and the girls slept in the one bedroom, head to toe, and the babies slept in the mom and dads room. But that was some time ago, when people didn't think anything of things we consider hardships. My dh grew up in a family of 9 kids, 8 boys and 1 girl (I know). The girl slept in the laundry room and the boys slept four to a room, and mom and dad shared the small (and I mean small)downstairs bedroom, which had 3 doors leading off of it - to the living room, laundry room and kitchen. Believe it or not, this got worse. That house burned down when mom was in town one day and my fil who wasn't a very nice man, only allowed my mil to buy a 30 travel trailer with the insurance settlement, which they put on the lot their house had been on. He spent the rest of the money from the insurance and that family lived (?) existed, more like, in that tiny little space. My dh and I were already married at this time, as was his one older brother, and one younger brother was in the military, but that still left 6 kids and two adults in that tiny cramped space. We ended up (I was 19 and dh was 21) taking his sister in to live with us as she had NO privacy then, and was entering junior high, so, she needed it. I drove her to her hometown every day to school and picked her up every day. There is a limit to the minimum amount of space a bunch of kids can live in! The end of this story is very sad - about 6 months later, my mil was diagnosed with cervical cancer and she didn't tell anyone until it was at a very advanced state. She died the day my oldest son was born and my fil had to come home (he was fishing in Alaska on the boat he bought with the insurance money) and be a "father" to those kids. He soon married a very nice LDS woman whom raised his kids. They divorced when the youngest boy was in high school and he ran off to Mexico and contracted brain cancer. He died the next year. So I guess the moral of this story is, if your space is adequate - appreciate it!

Oh, and I guess I should mention the opposing view - I was an only child and grew up in a house plenty big enough - my own bedroom and all. My best friend lived down the road a couple of houses, and they had 9 kids in a three bedroom house. I would have traded places with her in a heartbeat. Being an only child, for me, was a lonely, miserable way to grow up, even with my own room.

Farmgirl Sister #98

Edited by - mikesgirl on Dec 29 2007 4:26:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  5:04:18 PM  Show Profile
That's a sad story Sherri. However, I do think it had more to do with personality (of said FIL) then the amount of space they had.

As the Doug Stone song says, love grows best in little houses. :) It's more about the love the family has, I believe, then the size of the house.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  5:22:36 PM  Show Profile
I think you're right Heather about the fil, but he never really lived in that little trailer. MIL did the best she could, but there is a limit of how many bodies can safely fit into a space that small, and an adolescent girl does need a bit of privacy. They all (but 1) turned out fine - good parents and responsible people, so that period of their life didn't hurt them.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  5:30:05 PM  Show Profile
I keep trying to remind my husband that when this house was built (1890) it was an average sized house and probably housed a large family. I figure that as long as the boys and girls have seperate rooms that should be fine. Each bedroom upstairs is small but they could manage two bunkbeds and a dresser so that's up to eight children!
The reason I bring this up is because my parents ( who still have six children at home - ages 4-21) are thinking of buying a house which has four bedrooms and they are acting like that is not enough space. I keep trying to remind them that they will not have children at home forever and want the smallest house that they can manage for when they are older and alone. Besides, the 21 year old and 19 year old will probably not be moving with them so that would leave them with four kids to move with. That seems like plenty of space to me and makes me wonder if our hosue is totally too small or if some people just think they need more space.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  5:41:50 PM  Show Profile
I grew up (from birth to 19) in a four room house. And I truly felt like we had the mansion of the street. We had 2 bedrooms, a living room and kitchen, small hallway, and one bath. There was a full basement for laundry and my dad's tool shop. But mom knew how to make it homey, uncluttered, clean, and really nice and comfy. There was no house warmer than ours on a winter night, and no house with more breeze in the summer. There was a front porch for sitting each summer night, and a big back yard with swings, clotheslines and a garden. And my grandma lived with us (from the time I was 7 until I was 11) to boot!!!! For many years my parents slept in the kitchen. And yet we were warm, fed, safe, and together. That was all we needed. How we forget how fortunate we are with our large homes. I love mine more everyday.....and it is not big and fancy.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  5:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
We have never lived in anything larger than about 1200 sq. foot. We are 2 adults, one toddler and one Boxer. I like small, it is just so much easier for me to take care of things. We are looking for something in Texas that can be a re-modeled to a more open space. I like small. My only thing I would love is a pantry/washer/dryer combo and an extra toilet/sink. We figure these are things we can add on.

My Nanna and Papa's house was small too and Papa "customized" it to what they needed. They had 2 boys and 1 girl and when they were little, he built bunk beds with a built in desks in the room. Then, when they all moved out, he built 2 daybed platforms and added another built in wardrobe. That house was somewhere around 900 sq. ft but with an additional wrap around porch, it seemed huge. We were also shooed outside a lot : ) , so maybe that helps...

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  6:03:00 PM  Show Profile
Its funny how the best memories we have are the times when we were so poor, Poor and I mean Poor I have been there, but we always had food to eat, we didnt have many clothes my mom made my dresses out of feed sacks she even made my underwear,Some of the kids made fun of us in school, but my dad always taught us right from wrong i grew up in a four room house with no bath and can remember the snow blowing in the cracks upstairs, but it didnt hurt us one bit, We all grew up to be responsible, Out of the four of us none of us ever got in trouble and it really makes me feel as high as a mountain when my parents say our children have never given us any worry

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  7:03:07 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, we are a family of 5 and live in about a 1,400 square foot home. Our three boys have always shared a room, and when we built this home, the floorplan was for 3 small bedrooms. Our boys (16, 11, 9) were so distraught. They did not want to be separated so we had the two small bedrooms joined so they could be together. They are as happy as clams ~ two sets of bunk beds w/room for a friend!

We received such pressure and criticism from outside family that our oldest MUST have his own room. He is growing and needs his privacy they said. He is now 18 and is very content that he is with his brothers. They whisper at night and really bond and are the closest of friends.

We have friends not far from us with 10 children in a one room home. Not one bedroom. One room! They chose a small alternative house so they could have land to roam. They are all happy and well adjusted. At times I envy the simplicity of their life. They have thrown off the stereotypes and focus on what is important to them. I've never heard one of their children complain!

Personally, I like small. It fits my budget and is easy to manage. I wouldn't trade my simple cozy home for anything! No matter how big our home was, we would all end up in the same room anyway! Thats just the way we are. LOL

And there is always room for one more!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  7:23:19 PM  Show Profile
Our house is pretty small...sounds like the size of yours, about. We have only two bedrooms upstairs (not big ones) and then have one bedroom downstairs, one tiny bathroom, a kitchen and no dining room, a small family room and small living room and fairly big laundry/sewing room.
We have 4 kids at home (two girls and two boys) We have talked about adopting a couple more (seriously) and we wouldn't move.
The people we are buying the house from raised 8 kids here and turned the family room into another bedroom. The hardest part for me is scheduling the bathroom as the kids get older..but still...I love this little house and hope to never move. Ever.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  7:41:17 PM  Show Profile
I live in a farmhouse built in the 1870's - at one time, there was one husband, two wives, one mother-in-law, FOURTEEN children and the occasional farmhand living here. That was before the kitchen and bathroom and SECOND bedroom were added on. So - with me, my two little boys, and my husband, a two-bedroom, one bathroom farmhouse is wonderful. We have a little upstairs "North room" that we're using as a nursery, and maybe I'll have the luxury of a sewing room in a year or so when babe moves downstairs to the "boys' room." We have a "stove room" with a wood stove and a large kitchen (had to feed those farmhands!) now, as well as a front "parlor-type" room and a small mudroom/laundry room off the back. It totals about 1300-1500 sq. ft - I'm not real great at estimating. I LOVE it. My mom keeps saying we should figure out how to add on another room, but I'll tell ya' right now - NO MORE ROOM TO KEEP CLEAN, PLEASE!!!!!

I'm with Jenny - I love this house, too, and I hope to never, ever move, either. I'm home.

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  7:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like the ratio of land to house is a factor...the more room you have outside, the less room you need inside!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  7:56:53 PM  Show Profile
SOOOOOOOoooo true, Amie! One of my husband's friends always says, too, that the happiest marriages are those that include many outbuildings...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  7:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Libbie you are right when our children were smaller and we kept foster children we thought we should build on now what I would give for my little tiny house back. The bigger the house the more it takes to fill it and it all comes down to just things here today gone tomorrow, Family is what is really important not posessions or fancy houses.

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  7:59:10 PM  Show Profile
There really is something cozy about tucking everyone in at night and actually being able to hear your loved ones breathe...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  8:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Our house is pretty small, about 1,100 sq ft. Wehn we adopted our daughter, we had to divide the second bedroom into two very small bedrooms. Hers is just wide enough for a bed on the one wall. The other walls are too short and narrow. We built her bed into the wall and all her toys and most clothes store under the bed. Our son's room is also small, but larger than his sister's. She can't wait for him to move out so she can have a room with a closet.
There was only my sister and I growing up. While my grandma was alive, she had the third bedroom and my sister and I shared. I think we've gone overboard about each kid having their own "space". Home is the place we have to learn theose social skills like sharing and getting along. Frankly, I'd worry about having enough bathrooms! We just have one for the 4 of us and it gets tricky sometimes.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  8:16:13 PM  Show Profile
Bath rooms can be tricky we only have one but I have one in the sewing house and one in the shop house so when things get rushed you just gotta run a little faster

Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  8:30:46 PM  Show Profile
we have just under 900 sq ft and one day i hope to own a house that has 4 bedrooms and atleast 2 baths(everyone always seems to have to use the potty at the same time here). the fourth room would be to have family and friends stay with us. that is the only thing i wish we had cause i love spending time with them and there is no where to put them. also when the kids have a friend over they could stay in the guest room. so small is fine

babysmama- we have two girls and they share a room and one on the way and have converted the walk in closet into the nursery. the master suite takes up a good thirty percent of the house. so we have done a little remodeling and rearranging but i am happy that we have 2 bathrooms. especially being preggo atleast i dont have to wait to tinkle.

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  8:32:21 PM  Show Profile
LOL ~ I love that Miss Wilma!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  8:37:39 PM  Show Profile
we moved from a huge 27 room house in annapolis, maryland .. to what i jokingly say is two TWO ROOM CABINS! actually .. it's not 'much' bigger than that! there is a little 'lean to' that opens into the upper cabin . .this is my 'sewin' and TV room .. and a tiny little guest bathroom in there too ... and teeeensy little 'garden porch' that is enclosed .. but not 'heated' also off the 'upper cabin'. both cabins consist of ONE ROOM downstairs and ONE ROOM upstairs .. none of which are BIG or with HIGH ceilings! HONEY HUNK must love me a lot .. cuz' he has to DUCK in every doorway!

there is a large kitchen addition between the two cabins .. a skinny hallway .. teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeensy little laundry room .. small 'bath' .. and an 'open' bedroom (which is ours!) .. what makes this little house so liveable for us is the wonderful PORCHES we have added since moving here! We had the 'barn' insulated .. and it is a great little room for hank and the 'dawgs' to go to when they want to BLAST music reeeeeeeeeeeeeeely loud! and i like it a lot more! it does have electricity and heat and air conditioning!

And my 'schoolhouse' (which is just a glorified new building on the property .. it looked like a BIG WHITE ELEPHANT when we lived here and was the only 'thorn' among the roses .. we had it painted 'barn red' .. it is FULL of treasures right now .. but .. oh my .. someday .. it will be a 'guest house' .. studio for me!! (it has electricity .. but i think the heat and air out there needs to be 'updated'.

i LOVED our big 'ole house .. but just don't want to have to 'caretake' such a big house any more .. EVER!

We lived in a VERY charming A-frame in the mountains in Colorado .. we lived in a wonderful large brick 'denver square' historic home in DENVER .. we lived in a wonderful farmhouse in annapolis also. ALL have been my 'favorites' during the time we lived in each.

the two homes of my childhood have been delightful memories too! xo, frannie

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  8:53:58 PM  Show Profile
we have a home/ranch style/that is a little over 1600 square feet.3 br 2 bath with 2 car garage and large fenced yard.
with a total of 5 folks it feels a bit cramped at times though.the front formal living room area has been converted to an office. the dining room and living room are one big open room with a fireplace.
luckily there are 2 bathrooms..ha.
it works for us, but sometimes a bit more room would be nice.
We have talked about converting the garage into a large office area..but have not done so yet.
I do not have much if any storage space in this home..that's one thing that it does lack here.
...but we do have a large lot and lots of area to grow things...and we make it work.
I do go through semi annual total clear outs..where if I start feeling cramped..I do major clear outs of items out of the rooms and get rid of things. It helps me not to feel so cramped/cluttered.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic How small is your house? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page