Page: of 2

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  9:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
We lived in a farm house that had 2 bedrooms upstairs. The 4 boys slept in one room, the 3 girls in the other. My mom and dad slept in the one other bedroom downstairs. We didnt have indoor plumbing until I was 12, and then had one very small bathroom. We didnt know any different and made it fine. The house we live in now is small but we make it fine. Of course, now it is just me, my husband and 2 dogs. I am just thankful for the roof over my head with payments that are very reasonable.

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

My new blog!
http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com

Edited by - downbranchroad on Dec 29 2007 9:10:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  9:33:38 PM  Show Profile
Joy I looked at your blog , you have some neat stuff, I love the little scales. Did you ever see the old store building in the KY Head Hunters video, It is up the road from me about 3 miles. wg

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  10:28:45 PM  Show Profile
27 rooms Frannie?!! I wouldn't even be able to FIND the bathroom! LOL

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  02:10:14 AM  Show Profile
ok, I vote for having some room outside to help in the small spaces.
I do ok in the spring summer and fall but winter and cabin fever does
set in a bit. Have a 12 by 60 mobile, have no idea what square foot is. The only challenge I have is figuring storage space because we don't have any. Learning, cause carved some space out in the bathroom for a desperatly needed linen closet. WE will be changing around the kitchen to make it more efficient. Other than that we don't truthfully do to bad.
My sister and I always shared a room, my brother did to cause we always had foster kids around. It was a good thing becuase you certainly learn how to share, laugh, talk and argue. Just like real life. You learn that compromise is good for relationships.
Lessons learned that you carry on in life.
CS

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  07:07:08 AM  Show Profile
Uh Libbie.....two wives??????

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  07:20:25 AM  Show Profile
Um...yeah. I come from a line of LDS folks on the "farmhouse" side of my family, and back then it was the thing to do.

It was a REALLY long time ago!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  07:39:15 AM  Show Profile
I was born in a two room house, I can imagine my little 15 year old mother thinking of it as her very own castle dad bought another farm we moved to 4 rooms, two years later another farm another 4 rooms each time was some improvement.We moved to that place in a wagon it was cold and I can remember them wrapping me up in blankets and putting me in the big door of an old kitchen cabinet to ride, I thought it was a long way but it probably wasnt over 3 miles. Years later when I was 12 or 13 dad bought another farm with a big old time house, I had my first own bed room. My dad was a mule trader along with the farm.I will have to tell you some funny mule tales on the laughing page.We never had a fancy home , didnt have much schooling but the things I learned from being poor was an education in its self.Today my dad is still mule trading wearing his old overhauls is a self made millionare and finally last april my mom got her dream home, nothing fancy just comfortable and convenient. It even has two bath rooms. The best thing is the doors are always open and the food is abundant. Its not the structure of a house its what is in it . WELCOME FOLKS COME ON IN. When you get tired listening to me tell me i will shut up miss Wilma

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  08:10:40 AM  Show Profile
We will never tire of you Miss Wilma, you are one of a kind, and kind.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  08:22:15 AM  Show Profile
Nancy I am so glad I have met you, You are the one thats kind, I have enjoyed this so much and have learned a lot I was reading Alees post on her car and I thought how many horrible ins stories that we have all encountered and how one persons encounter can help another . I know I have sure had some hard lessons. wg

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  08:24:53 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for making me feel better about our little house. Yes, the one thing I dislike is the one bathroom. So far it hasn't been a problem because our two children are small but we hope to add a small toilet in the basement or even a composting toilet at some point. We live in town so our yard is not huge but it is good size with a swing set, clothesline, small raised garden beds, and a nice front porch and small back patio. We live within two blocks of two parks so when the kids are older they can venture there alone (a lot older!) and live within walking distance to the pool, library, post office, etc.
Though I don't "love" our house right now since there is a lot that still needs to be done, I do like it. We are getting the bathroom remodeled next month and that is the one room I really hate so I think that will make me like it much better. This house is hard enough for me to keep everything clean and tidy right now so I don't think I would want anything bigger. Thanks for all your house stories - keep them coming!!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  08:37:29 AM  Show Profile
**the happiest marriages are those that include many outbuildings**

Amen to that, Libbie! My "farm dream" includes many, many sheds!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  08:39:36 AM  Show Profile
ha! you are sooooooo right! it has always been grande to have homes where we each have our little 'get-a-way' spot! it makes the 'gathering' all that much fonder! xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  08:53:53 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth those walls can expand and golly me think of all the new trades you can learn, I learned to be a wood worker, a dry waller, a wrecker, a painter a wall paper hanger, Now my husband has always been super great helping me. I learned when he was a little slow getting to what I wanted done I would just tear out a wall and that got him started in no time at all. I know he is so relieved that I have got older and have quit doing all that stuff. What he really doesnt know is the house is to big for the two of us now and I would like to tear off the part we built on and go back to my tiny house. Any way nothing is ever perfect is it.

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  09:20:57 AM  Show Profile
Miss Wilma- Maybe you have some advice. We have a lot of cracks in the plaster walls and ceilings upstairs. Nothing big, but lots and lots of little ones. How would you recommend fixing them? Or anyone else have advice too?
Sometimes it is a hassle owning a home - we have to put a new roof on this spring, our bathroom ceiling started leaking the other night which I think is caused by an ice dam on the roof and we have layers of ice up there (and a half a bucket of water dripped into the bathroom). It is always something!!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  10:27:08 AM  Show Profile
Our little house is a simple one level house with the kitchen/dining room in one, living room, 1 bathroom/laundry, and 3 bedrooms - but we took one of the bedrooms and made it into the office/music room. It has my collection of photographs with music folks and autographs and memorabilia over the years. Each room has its own little theme...living room (garden), kitchen (apples), bathroom (garden), office (music/bears), guest room (Americana), and master bedroom (primitive). The lady that lived here before us loved striped wallpaper and I felt like I was in a jail with all those stripes! We tore down all the paper and painted and put up some borders. The living room and bathroom were not touched. It's just two of us, but growing up I lived with my parents and brother and we just had 1 bathroom. We always wanted a second bathroom. It amazes me hearing stories of my parents when they grew up in a small house with so many kids. I remember spending weeks in the summer with Aunt Wilma in the big house. I remember climbing up all the steps up to the attic to see what kind of treasures we could find to sew on a new project. I sewed my first doll quilt there and still have it.

I've always wanted a log cabin home or a house with a large wrap around porch. Maybe one day we'll get one, but for now, we have our simple little home.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  11:11:07 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth go to google search look up wall plaster repair ther e is lots of in formation just waiting for you The dry walling I have done is where we took the old sheetrock off and rehung I have never worked with plastered walls but I sure would tackle it I have had some mishaps to one time when we first moved here we had OLD wallpaper top to bottom Well after a lot of hard work trying to get off of the ceiling I decided the easiest way would be was to completely cover the ceiling with dry walling mudd and swirl it well it sure did look good but guess what happened , it all fell in the floor, I got the wall paper off but had lots more work to do Thats called Trial and Error . Are you sure you want my advise Ha

Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  11:15:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Gals,

I have lived all over the world the last 15yrs courtesy of the US Air Force, so I have live in many unique homes that I have loved and hated all at the same time:) Currently, I live in Central Pa. out in the country in a 4 bedroom house. It is an old, old farm house built in the 1800's. The 4 bedrooms are upstairs with a bathroom upstairs, but it is just a toilet and sink. I put in my vanity to hold all the girly stuff and my ironing board..which is always set up due to the space and I love it. Downstairs is a kitchen and my washer and dryer are in there as well. There is a laundry room but it was not finished to the point it would include hookups for the appliances..so we use it as a mud room, extra refrigerator is there and a treadmill and bowflex. I have a dining room as well and a large living room too. Our one full bath in the house is off the dining room. Then above the kitchen is a set of narrow steps that leads to another room. The previous owners said it was used as a farmhand or servant quarters, but I fixed it up...painted, etc. and now it is a playroom for my 8 yr old. She doesn't use it too much right now cause it does not have electricity to it or heat so it is quite cold for her.

And I am officially announcing that I will be moving AGAIN...can you believe it ... this summer...my DH will return from Iraq and we are now expected to relocate to Minot, North Dakota...bbbrrrr..it is cold up there. I am excited and hope to possibly meet some farmgirls from that area...I would be thrilled and oh so excited to meet someone. If anyone has info about the area or live near there feel free to email me ... I would love to chat. Hugs, Erica
Go to Top of Page

New England
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Hannah
Hardyville ky
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  11:49:22 AM  Show Profile
Our home is also very small, not sure of the square footage, it has never been a concern. When we moved back to Kentucky a couple of years ago it was with the intention of living near our daughter and family. And that is what we did, they live two houses from us PLUS we have such a warm and cozy little brick home with plenty of yard and garden space.
There is a small kitchen, small living room, two small bedrooms - one used for a combination den and office. Outside we have a small tool shed and a wonderful building built by the Amish that we brought here soon after I closed my shop downtown. For awhile it was used as my antique shop but now we are in the process of a new venture in the spring.
We no longer have the pressure of furnishing a huge house, we did that several times when our kids were growing up and we needed the space. Actually, there was one house when we lived on Cape Cod where the size and floor plan was almost identical to this one and we managed fine. We continue to pursue our passion of collecting antiques and decorating only now we can be more selective. Our friends really enjoy coming here to visit and often don't want to leave (right Miss Wilma????)
I appreciate all of you who have asked to see photos. My office is now set up with all kinds of 'modern technology' and now I need to learn how to use it! I have a good many photos in my file ready to send and look forward to exchanging ideas with you all. I also have dozens of photos from our log cabins that you all have never seen in magazines and books and I will be scanning those to send...even some taken the day we bought the cabin and there were no additions....just the log cabin, very special photos. Have had many folks ask "why DID you put additions on the original cabin and when I am able to show you these photos I will begin to tell you all the wonderful stories connected with them!

So don't ever be concerned with the size of your home, be concerned with allowing time to be together IN that home.

Hannah.....lazy Sunday afternoon and sooooo cold out!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  11:59:43 AM  Show Profile
I love what Miz Wilma said "It's not the structure of the house..it's what's in it!"
So true. What makes a house a home..is to have lots of love, and cherished momements and memories together.
Laughter, sharing and caring.
No matter if you live in a tent, a shack, a mansion ....or something in between.
Love is what makes a house a home.
I hope that all of our houses..no matter the size, shape and condition or geographical location...whether we live on a farm or not..are truly.."homes filled with love"

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  1:09:06 PM  Show Profile
Tina you are right on, and Hannah you are right you do have a homey inviting home and the smell is yummy. I was going to put this on the laughing page but I am going to tell you about my first Married Home, We bought a little 53 acre farm, the house wasnt bad looking for an old house but had some problems, the first was the former owners were very old and chewed tobacco, fortunately the wall were all tongue and groove . There had been a wood stove in the living room and wood cookstove in the kitchen well I reacon they was not very adept at hitting the pot because the walls surrounding the stoves were completely covered with ambeer If youve never burned coal you can never imagine how black the walls can get They were so bad we hauled up barrels of water heated it up and procceded to scrub the house down with lye water Well we got our 6 room home no bath all clean Then with our worldly goods 250.00 dollars worth of furniture we moved in,I am sure we lived on love for the next two years . Things was great in the Gilbert home we had our 1st son and life went on . Now this old house was very cold it had a long hall way and you could go alway around it, There was no heat in the back so we hung quilts over the door ways and used the kitchen living room and bed room . We had our water bucket probly within 10 feet of that old coal stove and before morning it would have ice froze over. We had the baby bed very close to the stove, Well one night I heard the baby crying and for some reason I guess I was so sleepy I called to Sterl to get up the baby was crying . Now our bed was next to a window and when I called to STERL HE WAKES UP REAL FAST, and saw light now he must have been dreaming because he thought I was saying the house is in fire so he went after the baby as fast as he could right out the window and landed on the porch.

Go to Top of Page

New England
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Hannah
Hardyville ky
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  2:37:51 PM  Show Profile
Wilma I swear!! You are truly a LIVE black and white movie!!!!!

However, being born and raised in New England I can tell you life wasn't alot different in some homes. Our home where we grew up - from when I was three until I graduated high school was a humble, 4 room camp house really. We had a kitchen with few conviences, running water but had to heat hot water on the stove, coal/wood stove, refrigerator with no freezer etc etc. we hauled ice from the pond.

One time on my Mom's birthday my best friend (who is also still living AND we stay in touch!) and I decided to make the cake. Now keep in mind we didn't have cake mixes back then or maybe they were just being sold but terrible! anyhow, we made the cake from scratch, tinted it pink so it would be pretty. We put it in the black stove oven and baked, and baked and baked and after at least an hour we noticed the temp. gauge on the outside was about 150 degrees and since the wood regulated that - and there was no more wood - we took out the center of the cake that was not done, spread on a baking pan and baked it! When done we stuffed it back into the cake!
oh, so many memories but NEVER did we ever even think that our lives were bad, everyone was so close back then, we made do with so little and we were so happy....and we respected our parents and each other. We played outside and the kids with the best 'roads' in their yards for playing with cars is where everyone gathered...and we gathered greens at Christmas, made wreaths and sold them door to door, we picked Lady Slippers and it wasn't against the law.....and on and on and on. And to this day I seldom take advantage of modern convieniences because I 'remember'.

I think I need to start a post!!!!! Hannah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic How small is your house? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page