Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 gifts you received that we could make
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic gifts you received that we could make Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  11:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Ok after reading the post about what everyone got I thought it'd be nice to make a list of handmade or items that we could make for people for next year or as gifts.

I honestly didn't get anything I could MAKE but a few items I'm writing down to make for next year are:

Crocheted snowflake ornaments
A ball ornament with a feather in it that has a scripture reminding you that god is always with you (I did receive this, if you want I can post the reading)
Chocolate covered fruit aka strawberries cherries coconut balls
Homemade dips

Of course handmade candles

I also was curious if anyone that sells stuff has stockings that look country style that did not sell...I keep seeing stockings but they dont give me that warm fuzzy feeling that others do that aren't factory made.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  5:43:03 PM  Show Profile
I think an awesome gift would be a small basket of homemade breads (poppyseed, banana, etc.), cookies, and little candies or fudge. I'm thinking of doing something like that next year.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  6:14:29 PM  Show Profile
A few years ago I made baskets using the salt dough recipe then I lined them with a tea towel and filled them with homemade bread, sausage etc. Everybody loved them and it was fun to do.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  7:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can also make homemade tie blankets out of fleece. They are very easy and very nice to snuggle with.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  7:36:22 PM  Show Profile
One year, while I was living in New England (I was about 20),I made all my "hard to buy for" relatives "New England Breakfast" bundles--cinnamon pancake mix, REAL maple syrup, some jam from a local farm, etc...and wrapped them all up in a holiday towel with some raffia. I thought it was the best thing ever...until my very cantankerous Aunt elected to tell me that she "didn't eat that stuff" and she gave most of it to her son (55 years old) because "he likes maple syrup, I think"....so, needless to say, I NEVER made her a gift again--come to think of it, I've never gotten one for her since, either

The only thing I received this year that someone could possibly make would be a lovely Longaberger basket...but you'd have to get pretty good to top it!!! I received mostly gift cards, as well--those are pretty difficult to fabricate :)

I GAVE some handmade items--several knit items and I made spice rubs in individual jelly jars, with red lids and raffia, and a little tag describing the usage. What do you get for associate attorneys and law clerks? Regardless, I got a lot of compliments on them!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  8:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Our nephew and his little wife made us up a cute basket (neat willow basket in a good handy size!) with 3 quart jars of different cookie mixes. They were labeled really cute and had instructions for baking right on the labels and were topped with a fabric "lid" tied with ribbon with tiny bells on the ends of the ribbons...just so sweet..all lined with a pretty Christmas napkin. I LOVED this one.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  07:17:13 AM  Show Profile
I gave out a knitted stocking hat, extra long in red and green to one of our paramedics.

For my sister and sister-in-law's family's I did famiy night bowls. I got a big plastic bowl and painted words like "love, family fun, hugs, etc." and each of the family names on the side, then I put baskin robbin gift certificates for each person, a gift card to blockbuster, movie size candy and microwave popcorn in each.

I made a couple of beaded bracelets and two tied fleece blankets for gifts.

A couple of years ago I made crazy fleece hats for all the neices and nephews, potholders and kitchen towels for the adult women, and food baskets for the guys.

I am a believe that spending a lot of money on a gift that you have no idea if they already have, want, or need, is sometimes a waste. So I try to make as much as possible to send to the "outlying" relatives because I am just not a gift card person because I think it is so impersonal.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  11:26:30 AM  Show Profile
i made some beaded stitch markers for the fellow crocheters on my list this year, they are so easy.. a charm or two, a head pin, some beads and a lobster clasp or lever earring back.

Life is too short to be narrow minded.
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  1:06:50 PM  Show Profile
I gave out a lot of this, and it was well received. Yummy. Plus, it was WAY easy.

http://nashbabe.blogspot.com/2007/12/yummy-classy-looking-and-easy-gift.html

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  2:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Every year I give something from my garden. Ususally a jar of culinary herbs and a recipe or two on how to use them. Sometimes I give sunflower seeds in an onion bag along with a few pictures of birds that might be attracted to eat them if hung in the yard. One year I decided to give baskets of fresh eggs but we ended up having a couple of dark weeks before Christmas and so the ladies werent laying as much as I had hoped (although I still like that idea).

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers! ~John Muir
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  09:31:53 AM  Show Profile
I recieved a wonderful gift, and it instantly made me think of the farmgirls.

It was a sewn chicken paperweight to hold open a recipe book, phone book, etc. and a short stack of family recipe cards. The little chicken was clever and simple, fits in the palm of the hand, done like a little triangle/pyramid bean bag with the beak and comb on the top and little bead eyes.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic gifts you received that we could make Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page