Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  09:21:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I love to make cloth country dolls and with bits of antique lace and buttons, etc. Soooo, I was thinking wouldn't it be fun to make a mascot for us farmgirls and send her around to visit? She could travel from farmgirl to farmgirl via snail mail and have her picture taken with something(or someone) meaningful that depicts each persons personality or farm, then send her on to the next person. Maybe a scrapbook could accompany her? She could even go on vacations, that is if any of us farmgirls get the time for such things!! I was thinking of designing her to resemble MaryJane since she is the reason we are all together. So what do you think?? Is this another of my wacky ideas or would it be fun?? Luzy

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  09:29:36 AM  Show Profile
I think that is a fantastic idea Luzy!!!! How much fun that would be! Kind of like those gnomes that got sent around the world and pics got posted of them in different locals!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  10:05:03 AM  Show Profile
I LIKE it!
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  11:17:01 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Oh Luzy, what a wonderful idea!

Some of you may be familiar with the "Flat Stanley" geography project for 2nd grade children. The kids read a little storybook about Flat Stanley and then they make a little Flat Stanley out of paper.

This paper Flat Stanley is sent to a family member who usually lives in another community. Children often send them to their grandmothers.
Flat Stanley then travels with the person for several days, and photos are taken of the loved one with Flat Stanley. A friend of mine visited many of Fort Worth's finest sites before sending Flat Stanley and the photos to her grandchild in Tulsa.

So I guess we will have a sort of "Flat Stanley" project for adults--toooo cool.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  12:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Luzy - count me in! What a great idea. I will treat our little farmgirl with love and care, and she will love visiting Florida! I promise not to let her get a sunburn!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  12:53:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh I'm so excited to hear that some of you like the idea. I need ideas on how to facilitate her travels. Maybe someone who's involved with mailart can give me pointers? I'm not sure how to organize this, especially when personal info is at stake such as addresses. Please let me know. Okie dokie? Thanks, Luzy
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  3:11:09 PM  Show Profile
My daughter participated in a similiar experience for a 3rd grade class project and the doll traveled along with a journal to far away lands. Each person would add pictures of the doll on a train or on a mountain top or in a canoe or in the garden.
It was a riot!! We had soo much fun with it. She was a member of the family for a few weeks and then moved on with her suitcase and journal.

I'd love to do a grown up version of this!!

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  3:25:42 PM  Show Profile
Oooo Cool!
Keep me imformed of the details!
Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  3:28:32 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

We have one additional project that involves a "snail mail" rotation--this would be the "premier journal" tour that Cindy Lou has organized.

Consequently, we already have 2 mailing lists to work with --this is of course, making the assumption that the farm girls on these lists would want to participate.

I also think that I would like to have my own ragdoll farm girl so I would gladly sign up as a customer. If it was personalized that would be even better!

Connie

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  3:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I do this with my sock monkey doll when I travel...I have a photo of him from all my different stops in Hawaii.He's going to Oregon in a couple of weeks (any farm girls in the Cannon Beach area?)It's fun but it drives my adult kids crazy which makes it even more fun! I am looking forward to meeting Flat Mary Jane (?) LOl
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  4:40:22 PM  Show Profile
Love the idea! My daughter did a school project with "Flat Stanley" this past year too. Imagine "Flat MaryJane"being sent around to have her picture taken with her farmgirl friends!!! I can't wait until she comes to visit my house. Maybe "Flat Sharon" will go to visit Mary Jane? :)
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  5:20:24 PM  Show Profile
I can't really say I am "flat" but chesty Jenny would love to visit MaryJane and all my farmgirl sisters. I doubt if the MaryJane doll would want to visit Kansas in May or June during tornado season...she'd be camped out in our crummy basement most of the time!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  5:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I love the idea! My sister had a stuffed turtle that visited us for two weeks - they took it to Disney and the beach and the Seminole Indian museum. It was so funny!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  8:33:53 PM  Show Profile
I love the doll idea too...my kids also did the flat stanley thing...fun!!
I make dolls too!! I love that we all have stuff in common that come out little by little as we get to know each other..how fun!!

Jenny in Utah
[green]The best things in life arn't things[green]
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  10:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the idea also!

My boyfriend's German class bought a Maniquin and clothed him. They wrote a letter and put it around it's neck explaining their project (they were trying to get him from Wyoming to Germany) and they asked if anyone in Germany ever got a hold of him, if they would write the school and tell about it. They left him at a truck stop with five bucks in his pocket. He eventually made it to Germany and had over $100 US in his pocket by the time he got there. A lot of people that had seen or helped him wrote the school and put letters in his pockets. The manequin's name was Klaus.

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  11:04:06 PM  Show Profile
I love this idea and want to be a part of it. My friends and I did a round robin with a tea cozy . It started out plain and we all added something to it as we got it. Maybe we could do that with the doll . Count me in.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  11:41:02 PM  Show Profile
Please count me in too, I am sure Raggy will love to visit New Zealand
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  07:31:25 AM  Show Profile
What a fun thing to do. I'd love to be included and have her in my home for a bit. She might even get the chance to visit the real farm and take a tour of Perry County, MO. We have a county fair in September, do you think she would enjoy a horse show and a mule jumping contest? Maybe she would even win an attendance prize?

I like the idea of sending a jounal along with her. Someone else suggested that each of us could add a little something to her as she goes along, what about a quick tip/helpful hint to share or a recipe to the next person that receives her?

You all have such good ideas, I'm sure whichever one is chosen to do will be fun no matter what.

Blessings to all.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  07:33:26 AM  Show Profile
LOVE this idea-we did Flat Stanley as well when our Gracie was in the 3rd grade. we ended up taking him to regular places (the feed store, the library) and also to the MO state fair-it was a lot of fun.

count me in when we start!!

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  11:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Oh, count me in. That sounds so wonderful. I would love to have a little MJ doll for a few days.
All these boys! I don't get to play with dolls anymore! =)
Actually, I'd love to see how you make them Luzy! I'm wanting to start making dolls for "Artist Helping Children", for kids in hospitals.
Please add me!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  1:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Luzy! Great idea girl! Let's get it started! I can contribute the scrapbook to accompany her (MJ doll). My second job is perserving memories for others so I'd be happy to get her travel journal ready if you haven't had any other offers. Does "she" have a name yet? or will it be "maryjane"? I can put the mailing list together too, just tell me when you are ready. FUN! FUN! and MORE FUN!!!!

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  2:07:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes, got to have a journal to accompany her, The handmaiden, great idea.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  9:09:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh count me in,,,,,,,,how fun!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  7:16:56 PM  Show Profile
Okay farmgirls, it's almost a done deal. Luanne and i have emailed and she is starting on "Flat MJ" tomorrow and I will get the journal and scrapbook ready, as well as, the mailing list. So email me your address by clicking on my profile and as soon as Luanne has brought her to life, away she will go.
Clare, do we have to have permission from the farm to start this? Let us know if there are any rules to follow, otherwise we are planning to just have fun! Wish I could be in her pocket!

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund

Edited by - The Handmaiden on Aug 21 2005 7:47:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  9:01:45 PM  Show Profile
Blush. Of course you have my permission! I'm here at my laptop writing but still need to go out with a flashlight several more times and change sprinklers. In this heat, I have to run them all night long. It's like nursing an infant again! I LOVE reading all your posts, but anymore I'm all writ out mostly. I have so much I could say to all of you, but into a book I must go.
I love and adore you all. MJ

Watch for my new book, "MaryJane's Gathering Place - Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook - for the farmgirl in all of us," to be published by Random House's Clarkson Potter/Publishers in Spring 2005.
Go to Top of Page

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  07:21:55 AM  Show Profile
Great idea girls, I would love to have her visit nothern MN, but she better bring her coat because it can get -50 below here!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Traveling Mascot Doll Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page