Page: of 2

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  08:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I was raised Lutheran and have been through all of the sects of the Lutheran religion. Know enough about most of the other religions of the world but know nothing about the Methodist religion. My new nanny job the mother was raised Methodist but has straid a bit in the last 10 years. She would like her boys to learn about God and his wonders. So my question is "What is the difference between the Lutheran and Methodist religions?"

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  10:18:17 AM  Show Profile
Betty Jo - I'm not an expert on religions. But I know that all the protestant religions love and worship the same God, just some in different traditions and ceremonies.

Etsy http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Prim Sisters Shoppe http://therusticcottageprims.com
http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  11:34:04 AM  Show Profile
Betty Jo ~ I am a Methodist minister. The only differences between Methodist and Lutheran is in the WAY the services are done. Methodists are big on music (the founders were musicians). Both are classified as Christian so the only caveat is to follow the teachings of Jesus - love one another, do go to one another, forgive others and yourself. All the rest is man made stuff that doesn't really matter.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia
Proud Farmgirl Sister #19

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  11:59:33 AM  Show Profile
Over the last several years, I have found the best way to learn about God and Jesus, and to help others in their quest to know more about their beliefs, is to learn scripture. I got a really good reference bible (NASB), and several good reference books (a commentary and a concordance) and I am trying to become very familiar with the Bible. So far I realize how much there is yet to learn....about the Word, and about how we live into it. Find a good study Bible and do some reading and digging. It is so complete and fascinating! It will be okay with the Methodists and any Christian denomination if you do!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  12:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Here are some beliefs of John Wesley and also a fascinating website that compares religions:

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/charts/denominations_beliefs.htm

"The doctrines which Wesley emphasized in his sermons and writings are prevenient grace, present personal salvation by faith, the witness of the Spirit, and sanctification."

"Secondly, to be made perfect in love meant, for Wesley, that a Christian could live with a primary guiding regard for others and their welfare. He took as the basis for this Christ's quote that the second great command is "to love your neighbor as you love yourself." In his view, this orientation would cause a person to avoid any number of sins against his neighbor. This love, plus the love for God that could be the central focus of a person's faith, would be what Wesley referred to as "a fulfillment of the law of Christ." "

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  2:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Very good!!! A mute gospel......quiet evidence of God. Love that!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  3:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Patricia -- thank you for saying what I wanted to say but didn't know how! And everything that Jeannie said is right on!!

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  3:57:20 PM  Show Profile
My ministry is teaching the Bible from the original Aramaic and Hebrew. So much has been changed and misunderstood and whole doctrines have been built on idioms and translation errors. The only thing one has to do to be a follower of the Christ is to do what he asked. Follow his teachings, which all comes down to loving each other. It doesn't matter what denomination you subscribe to or what religion you belong to or even if you don't belong to any. If you are following his teachings (which appear in all religions in one way or another) you are following him. On the day we celebrate his birth, it is the best gift of all.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia
Proud Farmgirl Sister $19

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  4:33:40 PM  Show Profile
Well said Patricia!!! I love that.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  5:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenny. I appreciate that.

"And I heard him exclaim to Kay as he drove out of sight, Merry Christmas to all and to all --FRUIT!"

love,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  12:34:46 AM  Show Profile
Is Merry Fruit appropriate???

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  12:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Stu says, only if you're a pineapple.

This is getting stranger than usual.

God bless us, EVERY ONE. No exceptions.

love,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  1:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Betty Jo, First let me say all the advice i read that has been given to you so far is wonderful and i concur with one and all. This is just my "two-cents":
May ask the ages of the boys? I am a graduate of Biola Univerity with my degree in Christian Education and it was my hope to write Sunday School curriculum for a living. That hope didn't pan out...won't go into that now... But, as an independent, non denominational gal, not lutheran or methodist, but close I think, I feel very comfortable when i am at either's service. I would love to help you if i can. Being able to teach children about God's love for them is, for me, the greatest joy and privilege.
you might start by asking the mother if you can take the boys to church and enroll them in Sunday School, if they are not already enrolled. It would be wonderful for the boys if Mom went too! If you volunteer in one of the boys sunday school classes you will probably have access to some great sunday school materials that will help you greatly. Curriculums are written to be age appropriate and coincide with the seasons. Come summertime, consider Vacation Bible School as a great thing to do with the boys, very fun and educational. If you are at all like me me, you will love the kid's sunday school and vacation bible school activities more than your own adult sunday school classes and church retreats.
If all of that is not an option, i would have you contact Missionary Aviation Fellowship www.maf.org and request their 4 week sunday school curriculum, if they still offer it. It is perfect for boys! and you could just use it on your own, maybe invite a few of the boys friends to join in. Missionary's have to fly in to remote places and the curriculum is exciting, scary, tender and honest as it teaches why God loves, not just us, but everyone and how we can show God's love to others around the world. you and the boys could "adopt" a maf plane! how much fun is that for boys? I'm not even a part of this and i'm excited at the possibilities before you... Have fun and God bless you!
Merry Christmas, karen
happy farmgirl #89 (i think...)
quote:
Originally posted by bboopster

I was raised Lutheran and have been through all of the sects of the Lutheran religion. Know enough about most of the other religions of the world but know nothing about the Methodist religion. My new nanny job the mother was raised Methodist but has straid a bit in the last 10 years. She would like her boys to learn about God and his wonders. So my question is "What is the difference between the Lutheran and Methodist religions?"

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  9:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Utahfarmgirl

My ministry is teaching the Bible from the original Aramaic and Hebrew. So much has been changed and misunderstood and whole doctrines have been built on idioms and translation errors. The only thing one has to do to be a follower of the Christ is to do what he asked. Follow his teachings, which all comes down to loving each other. It doesn't matter what denomination you subscribe to or what religion you belong to or even if you don't belong to any. If you are following his teachings (which appear in all religions in one way or another) you are following him. On the day we celebrate his birth, it is the best gift of all.

Patricia, I think this is wonderful. I have been going thru a phase of questioning religion and looking at many others, what they believe, how they believe, how they worship, and how God rewards them. I think God does not care how we worship Him, only that we do, that we love each other, care for each other, the earth, the animals upon it, and try to do as He would like us to. Every religion has miracles, works of God. I think the details of what we believe are unimportant, so long as we keep our eyes on God.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  10:24:38 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you, Lynn. By the way, did you know that the Aramaic word for "worship" means "to welcome"? If I may paraphrase your sentence, "I think God does not care how we welcome Him, only that we do, etc." See what a difference it makes. God does not need to be worshipped. that's a human idea. But He does love to be welcomed.

And God also expects us to question and explore. That's using the intelligence She gave us! Don't forget, religions were created by man, not God. They're our way of expressing our connection with God.

Merry Christmas.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  10:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Ah Patricia! So you too believe God can be a She? I'm still exploring this idea, in some ways I think there is a duality to God - a male and female side. I've been busy looking for answers, lots of reading, and many walks in the woods, seeking answers, talking to God, looking inside myself for those answers too.

I think God is too big for any religion. Too large, too complex, yet perhaps too simple. Religion is a box we try to shove God into, because we have a hard time comprehending something so incredible.
Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  03:03:09 AM  Show Profile
I always think of the Holy Spirit as the female aspect of God.

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  07:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Thanks to all of you!!!! I was almost sure that there was not a huge difference between the religions but wanted to be sure. I love the fact that music plays a big role as I think song is one of the best teaching tools. I was always very active in the church and made sure my children had a good knowledge of God and his word. My oldest son is very knowledgeable. He has read the bible twice front to back. At one point in his life he used his knowledge to combat his father and his beliefs (which my Dh and I always said were the beliefs of the Church of Now-a-Day or I can change God's word to enhance myself). In the past few years I have been church less but not for trying to find a church I was comfortable with but have never given up on my faith and God. When I applied for this new job I knew I need a job where I could talk about God, his love and wondrous works. The Mom was VERY open when I asked her about her faith and upbringing. She regrets that the boys have not had the teachings of God in their lives but went along with what her X-husband's wishes. But now that can all change. She is very open on teaching them about the bible and God. I am not only very excited about my new career path but also about the fact that God can openly come with me. No more hiding him. During my 10 years as a high school teaching assistant I was unable to discuss religion with my students because of being a public school. (We did at time have private conversations that were wonderful) then a day care where we could not even say the pledge because of the word God. Very hard as I have 3 military sons and believe very much in God and country. Thank you for the websites and suggestions. If you have any others PLEASE send them my way.
Merry Christmas!

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  07:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Patricia: thanks so much for your response. I have been a member of United Methodist Church for several years and I appreciate their general respect for other religions that are Christian.
Your response on this topic was so wonderful.

Also to the gals on this forum: This my first time looking at the "Family Matters" part of Farmgirls site. I'll be looking at it again.
cool!

Happy Holidays to my FARMGIRL sisters!
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  07:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Our country was founded on freedom of religion! Isn't that a nice thing to realize. Thank God I am an American. That's one of the reasons I am patriotic.
:-)

Happy Holidays to my FARMGIRL sisters!
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  11:34:40 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, I use the words He and She interchangeably when I preach or teach because there is really no gender to God. God is spirit, energy, more like The Force than anything else, lol. Because we're human, we need to personify God, to make him more like us so that we may understand him better. Humans have been doing that in all belief systems since they first felt their connection with him.

For example, in the Old Testament, She is referred to as a King, a gardener, a father, etc. The Hebrews had many names for God, depending on the circumstance. On the cross, Jesus cried out to Eli, which means "my sustainer". By the way he never said, "why have you forsaken me?" That's a mistranslation. If anybody's intersted, I'll give you the right translation.

So God is what you want her to be. To me, for example, I see George Burns and I call him Father. George to me was the perfect God in "Oh God". A lot of what he said was right on.

Gotta go teach a class. See ya later.

love,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  1:46:44 PM  Show Profile
Betty Jo - I am glad you are working so hard to help your new fledglings.....your last comments were really neat.

To add to utahfarmgirls comments, following is a combination of comments I looked up this afternoon, and had read previously -

In Strong's concordance/dictionary, the word forsake in the Old Testament is "azab", of which one meaning can be to leave behind, or to allow something to remain while one leaves the scene. Jesus, in Mark and Matthew, is said to have cried out to Elijah, who people commonly believed would come in times of critical need to protect the innocent and rescue the righteous. Jesus spoke, not for himself, but for others. Jesus could not quote the New Testament, since he was the new testament. But his remarks from the cross come from the Old Testament he knew so well. For instance, when he said: Father into your hands I commend my spirit", he was quoting Psalm 31:5. He knew the learned men standing around would know that even in death and suffering, he was still in the Word.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  2:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, I appreciate your comments. That is one version. However, from the Aramaic point of view, notice that the translators transliterated the aramaic words. They lifted them and put them into the text as they were becase they found them hard to translate. Don't forget these Brits in 1611 were dealing with scrolls and very little understanding of Semetic languages. The words literally mean this: the Jews used a lot of different words for God, depending on the situation. Here, Eli means "my sustainer" so we have Jeaus crying out to God not in despair but in triumph. He says "My sustainer, my sustainer, for this was my destiny!" (literally, "for this I was spared or set apart" He was saying at the end of his life, that his death was one of the reasons he had been born (because he knew he'd be resurrected and he couldn't do that without dying first. and that was his crowning achievement.

Also, Dennise, I love your imagery of the feminine aspect of the Holy Spirit (which represents God's grace) You have God gracing us with all the wonderful traits of the feminine. I love that. Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  2:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Patricia - I love that! He was indeed born for that purpose. Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  2:26:49 PM  Show Profile
And he knew it, Jeannie.

love,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  08:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
If we all were so certain of our purpose here in the world. I wish I could be so certain that I was fulfilling my job on this earth. Must be moving in the right direction even though it feels like I am going backwards at times. Seems like God is always dropping children off at my doorstep. This time no fight just following the call. I am going to start looking at churches again but not necessarily the Lutheran denomination. I also know not the non-denominationally ones either. (Had some bad experiences with the ones here to money driven) I have my God, my faith and salvation. Just need to find someplace to worship him with others.
Happy New Year

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic Religion Question Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page