Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Lots of ideas, no direction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Lots of ideas, no direction Next Topic  

HFox
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Laura
Parkesburg PA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  07:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Send HFox a Yahoo! Message
Well, Farmgirls, after much consideration it looks like I'll have to return to work after eight amazing years of being a stay at home mom. Financially we can't make it go, unless I'm bringing in a bit of income.
Here's my question. I know there's an way for me to turn my talents and ideas into a little business that will bring in the thousand dollars or so we need to make ends meet, but I'm not sure how to execute them.
So I turn to the Farmgirls with their "can-do attitude"!

Here's what I'm good at: Sewing, knitting, crafting, cooking, creative writing, entertaining, gardening.
Here's what I'm not good at or willing to try again:
Direct sales, cleaning offices and other's homes, babysitting.

I feel like I can take most of what I'm good at and form it into an idea thats on the tip of my brain right now, but it's just not coming together!

My BIG resolution for 2008 is to find a way to make money from home.

What do you think, ladies?

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  08:51:52 AM  Show Profile
hmmm. what a puzzle. will brain storm a bit for you today. and will be praying for you and your family as you make these decisions.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  09:29:21 AM  Show Profile
When my girls were little and I was desperately trying to remain a SAHM, I put two ads in our local paper. The first was for "typing and word processing" services. I got quite a lot of work from that, mostly resumes, but also a lot of manuscripts and even some company billing. While most folks own computers nowdays, many older people who are writing books don't.
The other ad was for sewing. I got lots and lots of work, sometimes more than I wanted. This eventually ended up as my own home business (in less than a year actually). I started doing costuming for theater and dance studios which are always crying for seamstresses. With June recitals coming up, send a business card or brochure to all the local dance studios in your area. If you create a business name for yourself, one HUGE happy plus was that you could buy fabric and notions at wholesale prices from distributors for yourself too. It was great!
Di
Go to Top of Page

italianchildhood
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

172 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  06:54:34 AM  Show Profile
What about children's birthday parties?
It seems that that line of work encompasses a number of your strengths. You would hold them at people's homes but you bring everything, the games, the food, the goody-bags.
Best wishes with whatever you decide to do!

----------------------
http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds listings
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  07:45:08 AM  Show Profile
I was just thinking the same thing...sounds like party planning may be perfect for you!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  08:56:36 AM  Show Profile
Don't know how much land you have, and what the level of competition is around there, but perhaps there's some natural / organic produce you could grow and sell at farmer's markets.

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  10:37:21 AM  Show Profile
Try reading the book onSquare foot gardening. I think you could make $$ on selling vegetables, if you have a little bit of room. Also you could worm composting and you sell breeders amd bait, and casting. Take some a little bit time tho. You could do craft fairs. Decorate cakes. Gift Baskets. Its what your heart into.

debinmtns farmgirl #63
Have a Thankfulness Gratitude Attitude.
http://handcraftedncreated.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  07:38:50 AM  Show Profile
around here, in our little town of camden, sc, we have a recreation dept. anyway, every four or so weeks they offer classes. one of the classes is knitting. it's offered on a thur night for a couple hours. anyway, they charge $40/person. i don't know how much the rec dept gets and the actual "teacher" gets but you might look into that. another thing.....what about "snob appeal"??! put an ad in the paper offering to make small cakes (beautifully decorated, of course!) and boxed up real pretty for valentines day. perfect gift for a guy to give his wife or girlfriend (or for some his wife and his girlfriend! ugh!) anyway, you know some guys will probably be thinking great, he'll look good and get to eat some too! put a cut-off date on taking orders so you can buy only the supplies you need.
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2008 :  2:15:36 PM  Show Profile
My experience is that freelance writing is quite good money, on a per-hour basis, BUT, of course you have to go find the markets, and it can be six months to a year (!!!) depending on the magazine, to get payment. It would be something to think about though. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Lots of ideas, no direction Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page