Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members
 Do you have questions about the Merit Badges?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members: Previous Topic Do you have questions about the Merit Badges? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  11:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

We are hammering out all the kinks and quirks of the merit badge system so you can start applying for them sometimes soon after the new year.

I know that I am super excited about this, and I hope you are as well.

If you wouldn't mind helping us, please post any and all questions that occur to you about the merit badges and the merit badge system here. We will get them answered as soon as possible and it will help us get everything organized!

Thanks so much!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8 Just call me Calamity Jane!!

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  12:07:17 AM  Show Profile
I think probably once it's all up and running, most of the questions will be answered, like how do we actually go about applying for a merit badge. I for one will probably print all the applicable pages to keep as a reference.
One question that does comes to mind at the moment...how do we apply for badges that require us to present our finished project to a chapter if we aren't/can't be a member of one?
Thanks for all the work you have all put into this. I think I speak for everyone when I say this is just pretty darn exciting!!
Di
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  06:08:14 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Alee, as usual, I have many questions, and already sent one to the farm, but I will be glad to repost it for all to see:

"What if you already DO these some of these things?" Does that then disqualify you from applying for those badges, or providing proof and outcome of the ways you're already growing (i.e, basic knitting, green gardening, food stuff, etc...) There's a lot of the basics that I already accomplish in my daily life, as I'm sure many of us girls do....

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  06:58:40 AM  Show Profile
Will we be able to submit ideas for additional badges? I have some ideas but wasn't sure if they just want to stick with what they have.

Also when will we be able to apply?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  08:02:00 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmm - I had ALL these questions. I guess farmgirl minds think alike!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  08:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I am sure all my possible questions will be answered if I just keep watching.
:-)

Happy Holidays to my FARMGIRL sisters!
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  09:12:48 AM  Show Profile
the biggest question I had was the one regarding the things that are already implemented in our life here. We so many of the items already, so its not like one could start over phasing out toxic cleaners if the only thing you clean with is vinegar as it is...kwim?

also....the mini farmgirls....do they need to be badgewearing paid members also?

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com

Edited by - GaiasRose on Dec 20 2007 09:13:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16448 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16448 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  3:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey farmgalfriends,

We're getting all the kinks in our system worked out for the merit badges. We're almost ready to turn the pages on, "go live," where you apply for a merit badge and post a photo of your work, but before we do we'll update the merit badge requirements based on your feedback.

We'll also answer your questions about prior work and farmerettes and presenting to a chapter and the cost of the badges, etc. (We've penciled out what it takes to produce them now.) And when Gabe gets back he'll finish sketching them.

Because sporadic updates to the merit badge requirements could be confusing, we'll only do those twice per year, January 1 and July 1 of each year. Hold on while we're getting 'er all spelled out for you!

Thanks for your questions and feedback--it takes a village of sisters...

Farmgirl Sistah #1

Look for my new book, "MaryJane's Stitching Room," in bookstores now. Coming next in 2008: "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild."
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  3:36:12 PM  Show Profile
I just got my number today, and I am SO excited to start on the merit badges!!

Jennifer

Farmgirl Sister #104
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16448 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16448 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  6:25:36 PM  Show Profile
We just posted this over in the merit badge requirements
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/farmgirl-sisterhood/merit-badges.asp
but thought I'd post it here as well:

(We didn't get the specifics of earning merit badges finalized and posted this week but we did get the part about the actual badges figured out. We became increasingly nervous about going into the "badge business." Leave it to Alee to come up with the solution below!)

Say you want to earn a badge in knitting. Once you've completed one of the beginner level tasks under "Stitching Room/Knitting," then you'll apply for a merit badge. Here at "Henquarters," we'll look over your entry, and once it's approved, your entry information will be shouted from the rooftops (cooptops?) on our forum and you'll be e-mailed a private link that includes a password to a page that has an achievement certificate and badge waiting for you that says something like, “I, MaryJane Butters, am proud to present so-and-so with this certificate of achievement, etc.” You can print out the certificate (we’re going to use lots of cool old photos for these) and frame it and then transfer the design of the badge itself to the fabric of your choice. For example, the knitting merit badge will have a drawing of a skein of yarn and knitting needles inside a hexagon. These badges will all be hexagonal like our membership badges. However, they will be slightly smaller. Then, as your skill level progresses and you complete the tasks of your choice in the advanced levels of the Knitting category, you'll denote your increased prowess by adding a line of embroidery or stitching in the color of your choice around the outer edges of your badge. When you see a sister wearing her knitting badge, and it has two outlines, you'll know she's accomplished the intermediate level for knitting. Three outlines and she's a knitting expert! If you aren’t an embroiderer, you can take the badge that you printed from our site to your local print shop and have them create an ink badge for you. There will be no charge for the merit badges. However, the progressive outlines will have to be “threaded” somehow, so at the very least, every sister has to own a needle and thread.

MaryJane
Farmgirl Sister #1

Look for my new book, "MaryJane's Stitching Room," in bookstores now. Coming next in 2008: "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild."
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  6:32:14 PM  Show Profile
thanks a bunch Mary jane

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  10:05:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh! I can't wait!!!
I'm starting on being very green and embroidery to start!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  10:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful..I can hardly wait!! I am working on a few of them now!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lorie
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Lorie
Oregon
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  11:03:17 PM  Show Profile
I have my begining knitting class coming up in a couple of weeks. I am so nervous. I haven't been sucessful in the past but I hav been practicing my positive montra in prep for class time. Are you gals under the impression that we send our physical project to the farm for review?

Lorie Q
Farmgirl Sister #33
Gingham Gurls Chapter of Oregon
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  07:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I am wondering about the sisterhood hexagon shape with our member name...my # is 64 and I've reply'd to several posts but my badge doesn't show up on the posts yet, so...does the badge emblem represent a completed merit badge project or is it just a matter of waiting for the computer program to add my badge here @ some point?

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  9:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Chandra!

It has to be manually entered by the computer guru's that work at the farm. They should have more of the Sisterhood members updated by end of business day on Monday.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog: http://FarmgirlAlee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  11:09:29 AM  Show Profile
I have a sisterhood membership question. I think I read that it is to be renewed each year. Does your original number always remain the same, or change each year depending on when you renew?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16448 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16448 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  12:02:46 PM  Show Profile
If you renew before it expires, you are Farmgirl Sister #31 until the day you die, which I hope is at least another fifty years down the road, JP. I'm sure your list of things yet to accomplish needs AT LEAST another fifty if not seventy.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  3:15:07 PM  Show Profile
Fifty years from now, I will be 108, and I hope to look folks in the eye, and say, I am proud farmgirl #31!!! :) Thanks MaryJane!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members: Previous Topic Do you have questions about the Merit Badges? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page