Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Why would a grocery NOT stock Coriander???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Why would a grocery NOT stock Coriander??? Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  07:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Seriously, I've been to 3 groceries and none of them have ground or any version of dried coriander in the spice aisle...I have it in my cabinet (just not enough) and I KNOW I bought it at the grocer. It's like it doesn't exist or something--in between Cinnamon and Cumin should be Coriander, and there wasn't even a label in two of the stores, nor was it available even in the higher priced spice lines. WEIRD.

I'm making these spice rubs for meat as gifts for co-workers, and it calls for Coriander. Maybe not THIS year

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  07:55:17 AM  Show Profile
I believe coriander and cilantro are the same - onlh cilantro is fresh. Maybe you could use that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  08:29:21 AM  Show Profile
You probably find coriander in the ethnic food section. It is in the Hispanic section at my grocery. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  10:03:38 AM  Show Profile
Ah! I hadn't thought to look there, because I know that I purchased it in our handy dandy Kroger spice aisle...I can't use fresh because it's a dry rub and it's going into containers as gifts. I'll check the ethnic aisle this evening!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  9:47:01 PM  Show Profile
McCormick makes Cilantro leaves in the 3-4 inch shaker container. I had a hard time finding it too. Look through the red topped 4 inch containers.
Go to Top of Page

suethequilter
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

susan
jackson michigan
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  08:59:03 AM  Show Profile
you could but fresh cilantro and dry it in the microwave. that shoulden't take long. But for next year try growing it from seeds. it grows easily like parsley. also commercialy grown fresh and dried,packaged coriander are heavily fertilized to increase leaf growth, but takes away some of the essential oils and flavor.

life is good
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  09:10:48 AM  Show Profile
I grew it this year, but with our terrible drought, it was gone in a bout two weeks time. The parsley did well, though :) I'll grow it again next year :)

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Why would a grocery NOT stock Coriander??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page