Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  10:03:28 PM  Show Profile
What is your favorite cookbook or the one you use the most. Mine is good ole Betty Crocker. I got this book when I first got married--I was 3 and could barely read---and it has been with me through thick and thin. I have used lots of other books but I always return to her. My Mother got me a new, updated Betty Crocker but they removed all the old favorites and added strange new stuff. Now that every one (well almost) has moved out I don't bake or do much cooking but the book is always handy. I posted a picture or two of the old timer on my Strawberry hills blog. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  04:33:02 AM  Show Profile
It's the Fannie Farmer Cookbook for me. It's full of good, classic recipes with a New England flavor. Everything I try from that book is a success- a big hit with my family. Since they are so darn picky, that says a lot. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Robin
Douglasville GA
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  04:51:01 AM  Show Profile
All of mine. I just had some out last night looking through finding new things to fix, I feel like I fix the same things over and over again. I also get Taste of Home, it was a wedding gift and I keep getting new subscriptions each year. I also get the Kraft Foods magazine, its free if you go to their website and sign up. They send 4 a year. They tend to have some pretty good things in there that are easy, and they give coupons:) I don't think that I can choose just one that is my favorite.
Robin

Farm Girl Sister #28
#1 prissy farmgirl.
Oh, I want a pink John Deere Tractor.
http://fonvillefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

suethequilter
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

susan
jackson michigan
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  05:49:18 AM  Show Profile
my favorite cookbook is the settlement cookbook. It was given to my mother for a wedding gift in 1938. She gave it to me for my bithday in 1972.
I love the extras that it has beside recipes. Chapter one is household rules One of the rules is "proper dress for the kitchen, Jewelry shoud not be worn in the kitchen/ wear a cotton wash dress or a cover-all apron with a pocket for a hadlkerchief.it goes on and on about all sorts of housekeeping,including how to start a wood or coal fire
The book was written by Mrs.Simon Kander-notice how they used her husband's first name instead of her's. This book is a lot older than 1938 because mom always called it her oldfashoned cookbook.
When the book started to fall apart at the spine I make a bookcover for it from a red and white cotton dish towel.
if you can find this in a used book store grab it. I use mine all the time.

life is good
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  08:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
The Sonoma Diet & The Sonoma Diet Cookbook by Dr. Connie Guttersen, R.D., Ph.D.

Simple, fresh, whole foods, w/Mediterranean emphasis and the results are DELICIOUS! No seperate meals for dieters. Instead the emphasis is portion control. The meals are foods the whole family loved/loves. I'd say it doesn't resemble a diet @ all, just an incredible lifestyle choice.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  08:27:33 AM  Show Profile
MARY BETH, FUNNY!! I got mine at about that same age too.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  09:55:50 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, I have so many...do I have to choose? Well, I guess the one that use the most depends on the season..in the summer, I use the Victory Garden cookbook, issued in the early 80's...it tells you about harvesting and gives great simple recipes to let the veges shine.

The rest of the seasons, I usually use mostly my junior league cookbooks, one in particular is called Southern Sideboards from Jackson, MS...it's a fave, and well dog eared (and splattered). I also love little church fundraiser cookbooks for a quick night meal, and old pies and cakes noone makes anymore.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  10:16:33 AM  Show Profile
The Gift of Southern Cooking by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock.

Simple, fresh southern cooking with no shortcuts. All my grandma's recipes in one place with some great stories to go along with them.

I'd looked a long time for a cookbook that didn't call for cake mix or Cool Whip. I mean, it takes about 3 minutes to whip cream, ya know?

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  10:39:33 AM  Show Profile
funny..I just cleared out my cookbook collection because I actually don't use cookbooks very much at all. I'm a "cook as you go/mix it up and it will work" sort of cook.
I do write the recipes down that get raves.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  10:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Jonni, I have to agree about the Southern Sideboards. Mine has a copyright date 1978...I love the simplicity of the cover & the recipes have proven their worth time and time again.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  11:07:46 AM  Show Profile
I have a folder filled with weight watcher recipes that I refer to from time to time, and a set of weight watcher cookbooks.
Some church cookbooks that are nice recipes.
some of my granny's handwritten recipes that I use as well.
but no particular favorite.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  11:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
the passionate vegetarian
by crescent dragonwagon

a beautiful love story comes along with this book.. and each recipe is either prefaced or followed up with a story or anecdote and/or tips/substitutions.

i can sit down with this book just to read it. beautifully done.

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  11:24:57 AM  Show Profile
yay! Another vote for Southern Sideboards!!! It was the first cookbook I've ever purchased, back in 1990. I wasn't even out of highschool and we were in this little gift shop called the Mole Hole, in Michigan. I was attracted to the cover, and probably because it reminded me of my upbringing, and my daddy :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  11:56:22 AM  Show Profile
I think my favorite would be an old worn Farm Journal cookbook I bought some thirty years ago. Nothing much fancy in this one, just good traditional recipes for hearty, basic meals and desserts. I've about worn this one out over the years and it's now held together with a big old elastic band!

Di
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  9:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth...what issue date is on your Betty Crocker? I think I have that one somewhere with my vintage books. The one/s I refer to most often are those from Cooks Illustrated Magazine, the ring bound family cookbook, the Baking book and the new Best Recipe. First one I bought myself was the Better Homes and Gardens in 1962. I have mothers old black Searchlight cookbook from the 40's, the first one she had.
Jennifer, I made the pies for Thanksgiving at my stepmom's and they couldn't get over having "real whipped cream" to put on it, not Cool Whip or Reddi-Whip in the can. I'll skimp on calories elsewhere, want the real stuff!
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  9:42:07 PM  Show Profile
I love...Whole Foods for the Whole Family by LaLeche League
Fannie Farmer
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  06:14:52 AM  Show Profile
Laurel's Kitchen!!! My old stand by for nearly 30 years!!! I've trashed so many copies!!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  06:50:51 AM  Show Profile
I love and use all of my "Barefoot Contessa" books by Ina Garten. Ina tweaks each recipe until it is perfect before she puts them in her books. Because of that, everything comes out perfectly. Her basic pie crust recipe is superb, as well as her roasted chicken and other staples that I use on a weekly basis. I do have tons and tons of cookbooks, but those are the ones I keep at my fingertips in the kitchen.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  06:57:01 AM  Show Profile
I really enjoy the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. Very simple ... which I need, but sprinkled with whimsical sketches and ideas for homemaking. Just a delight to read even if you don't know how to boil an egg!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  5:33:35 PM  Show Profile
What's your favorite holiday cookbook? We are making our own for our holiday menus. It may be done in the next decade.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  8:20:44 PM  Show Profile
For me it's the original Laurel's Kitchen, which I'm ashamed to say I "borrowed" from a friend of my mother's and never returned (she eventually gave it to me and bought a copy of the new revised edition) and The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook - Whole Foods to Nourish Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women and Their Families (I'm expecting baby #3 in May).

For treats I usually with the recipe "on the box" (can anyone beat the nestle chocolate chip cookie recipe? really?) or the ones that live in my head from making them so many times, but if I need something special it's Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess. And I'm pretty much set!

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  04:46:39 AM  Show Profile
My new favorite is Woman's Home Companion Cook Book. From 1946. It's worn - I found it at an estate sale for $6.00. It has recipes written on the inside cover and on every blank page that the owner could find. Ripped out recipes from newspapers tucked inside along with some written on paper. I love to find treasures like this!

I'm making an orange bread from it today. I can't wait to try it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  05:55:05 AM  Show Profile
My favorite cookbook is the "Complete Canadian Living Cookbook". The spine is cracked because I've used it so many times. All the recipes are foolproof, and it has my favorite recipe for oven-baked mac and cheese!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Favorite cookbook Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page