Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Most ENJOYABLE book you read in 2007?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Most ENJOYABLE book you read in 2007? Next Topic
Page: of 2

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  08:33:39 AM  Show Profile
Okay, Farmgirls, what was it? What was THE book you read this past year that you ENJOYED the most? Maybe the one that stayed with you? Or the one with the characters you couldn't forget?Of all the books you read in 2007, does one stand out for you as the most enjoyable? (doesn't have to be meaningful, or moving, or thought-provoking, just enjoyable!)

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  08:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
The Ezekiel Option by Joel C. Rosenberg

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  09:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Eat, Pray, Love...but considering it is the ONLY book I read besides college textbooks...LOL!!!

Cheers,
Heather

Edited by - catscharm74 on Dec 13 2007 09:09:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  10:25:52 AM  Show Profile
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.... one reason is that I had been looking forward to it so much!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  10:59:27 AM  Show Profile
Remembering Wholeness by Carol Tuttle. So cool to realize that there is more and that JOY should & is part of everyday!!!!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  11:22:02 AM  Show Profile
A Sudden Country by Karen Fisher

Here's why - my review from Amazon

"A friend gave me a copy of A SUDDEN COUNTRY, thinking I'd like it because Karen Fisher and her characters are rough and tumble wilderness types, much like the modern women in my recent anthology, A MILE IN HER BOOTS. But as it turns out, I am writing my first ever book review because I found many more acres of common ground in this novel than I imagined. With brazen honesty, Fisher explores raw, gut-level intricacies of humanity--and of my own experience as mother, wife, wanderer--with such skillfully terse poetry that I was reminded why good fiction is worth reading. She takes hold of words and reins them in, wielding them with unsentimental precision, molding them with a sculptor's hand, so that you see, smell, and taste them, rubbing the grit of the story between your fingers as you read it.

The rangy, rugged backdrop of untamed America lured me from the cushions of my couch back to wilder times, when the savage beauty of mere survival was a person's daily toil. I suspect, on some level, many of us hunger for that kind of crude simplicity. I know I do. And, as I read, I got to thinking that although the landscapes on which our lives play out may differ, our condition is pretty much the same in any era. Fleeting moments of intense emotion roar, flicker, and inevitably wash cool in the current of time. Events so significant, so all-consuming, in the present moment are rendered memory across miles of unsympathetic terrain. Passions blur, tears run dry. And yet, throughout the journey, we find ourselves evolving the way Fisher's characters do, pushing onward, accumulating dark and delicate scars that remind us of who we have become.

History, wilderness, romance, drama, fiber - A SUDDEN COUNTRY has it all. I highly recommend it."

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  12:42:01 PM  Show Profile
FIRST of all, so good to hear from you as the Country Lawyer, miss Rebekah!
Secondly, the best book I read this year is an oldie entitled A Walk Across America, by Peter Jenkins. True story and I envy his experience!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  2:24:16 PM  Show Profile
I read a lot of mysteries ~ I love the Joe Grey series about sentient cats who solve mysteries, the new Monk series about the OCD detective, also Math for Mystics which is a non-fic book about sacred numbers and theoretical physics - fabulous! Stuie liked it so much I had to buy it.

love,
Patricia
Proud Sister #19

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  2:37:18 PM  Show Profile
I really liked What The Dead Know by Laura Lippman. It kept me guessing the whole time.

I liked Heartstopper too but I guessed the killer pretty early on.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  3:03:18 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I really liked "The Apron Book" by Ellyann Giesel. Read it over and over....it has short essays by apron owners and also a free pattern.

Happy Holidays to my FARMGIRL sisters!
Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  3:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
that's a full-size apron pattern in its own envelope !

Happy Holidays to my FARMGIRL sisters!
Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  3:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Beemoosie! I've missed the interaction here!!
I realize now that I forgot to put my book in the first post.
My most enjoyable read was Cold Mountain. It had been on my shelf for years and I never even cracked a page before this year. Great book. (I hear the movie was good too.)
Keep 'em coming! What else?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  4:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Without a doubt it was "For One More Day" by Mitch Albom. Just wonderful. It totally stayed with me..in fact I just bought a copy for my oldest son for one of his Christmas gifts. I am so lucky that all my kids are readers and appreciate books!
I agree with Jen about A Sudden Country too..but I read that in 2006...LOVED it! (in fact I am about ready to maybe read it again)

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  5:28:33 PM  Show Profile
A Walk Across America is wonderful -- there are actually several by him and his wife.

For me I enjoyed many of them -- Discovered Karen Kingsbury this year,Loved Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon, Cataloochee is a good story, etc. It's to hard to pick just one!

Blesings,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

http://timsarmywifey.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  6:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Dean Koontz " Blaze " has been my fave this year.

Life is too short to be narrow minded.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  3:36:25 PM  Show Profile
"Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  4:55:25 PM  Show Profile
I read GONE WITH THE WIND this year! It was fabulous! I also read TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. All impacted my thoughts for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  5:26:35 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn, I read both of those when I was a teenager back in the dark ages and they made a profound difference in my life, too.

Oh, I forgot one ~ it's called "Summer at Tiffany's" and it's the true story of two mid-western girls who worked at Tiffany's in NY one summer while in college. Talk about culture shock. It was the 50s and things were very very different from the way they are now. Made me feel I was back in time. Many of the things they went through were things I had experienced in my own life. I bought one for my daughter who loved it too.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia
Proud Farmgirl Sister #19

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  05:19:57 AM  Show Profile
"Summer at Tiffany's" has been on my reading list forever. I must get that book!
My fave this year has to be "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" by Kate Atkinson. We read it for Cherry Menlove's (http://www.cherrymenlove.com/book_group/) book group, and I just fell in love with it.
Although, I reread "The Grass Harp", by Truman Capote, and as always it left me breathless. But since it is a reread, it's a close second. :)

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  11:20:57 AM  Show Profile
Karin, you will LOVE "Tiffany's" especially if you are old enough to remember that time. Enjoy!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia
Proud Farmgirl Sister #19

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  12:08:02 PM  Show Profile
I think I will have to add Tiffany's to my list now too. It's always great to see what everyone else loves to read. Gives me ideas!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  12:35:01 AM  Show Profile
For me it was The Mitford books. I loved them all and hated when I got to the last book.

Etsy http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Prim Sisters Shoppe http://therusticcottageprims.com
http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile
Country Lawyer, I echo Beemoosie-- It IS good to see your post! I love a lot of the books mentioned, but read some of them before 2007, so will go with Quaker Summer, by Lisa Samson. It's the (funny at times) story of a woman who "has it all", along with angst and insecurity. Then she is changed... and it's powerful.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.

Edited by - Phils Ann on Dec 16 2007 1:30:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  1:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ann!
What great books you guys have read. My 2007 reads were light-weight for the most part. I kind of liked a break from the heavy stuff this year. I need to add some of yours to my 2008 list.
Anybody else? Best read of 2007?
Hey I can tell you my worst...it is called Nature Girl. (My apologies to whoever wrote it...I'm sure someone likes it.)
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  1:57:02 PM  Show Profile
That's a good way to do it, best and worst....

I think the best read has been The Social Lives of Dogs, by Elizbeth Marshall Thomas. It's a follow up to The Secret Lives of Dogs, which I adored. There have been some other good ones, but that's probably the best...

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  6:28:58 PM  Show Profile
"Peace Like A River" by Leif Enger-hands down.

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Most ENJOYABLE book you read in 2007? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page