Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi from Chicago Next Topic  

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  4:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Hello -- I'm a new subscriber from the northern 'burbs of Chicago. Anyway, wanted to say Hi, and to find out if there are other Chicago FarmGirls around?

Edited by - katie-ell on Aug 29 2005 6:24:12 PM

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  6:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to our wonderful Farmgirl meetin' place!!
You'll love it here!!
I am from Southern IN, not exactly close to Chicago, but not real far either!!
Welcome, Can't wait to get to know you.

Bridge
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  6:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Katie-ell,
Nice to see more people from the upper midwest here.
Enjoy the forum!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  7:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Welome!

The recent Chicago Trib article got me here, too! I'm in the 'far,far' north suburb of Kenosha, WI, on a 10.5 farmette... grew up near O'Hare with a hankering for country life, got it in Northwest Indiana, then back to Chicago burbs in Gurnee. By the time we could buy, land too expensive there, so we moved across the border!

Enjoy the fun of this site - I sure am. One of these days I'll post an official introduction to all.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Moe
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Mo
Evanston IL
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  08:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi!, Katie, I live in the northern chgo burbs too! I read the article in the Trib and ordered the book. It arrived yesterday and I'm really excited. My early years were on a farm but in Ireland instead of the states. I don't want a big farm just a few acres to call my own and do farm things. I'm the neighborhood "weirdo" because I dry my clothes on a clothes line and have for years. My husbad says I'm eccentric.
Moe
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  08:42:43 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Katie! I am from the far west subs of Chicago!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

kellygirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kelly
Chicago IL
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  11:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Send kellygirl an AOL message  Send kellygirl a Yahoo! Message
Hello I am in the near North side of Chicago. I want to start a farmgirl chapter if any of you are interested let me know.
Kelly

To Thine Ownself Be True
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  1:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcomes! For those of you who live in or go to Evanston, have you ever shopped at Secret Treasures on Dempster Street? Just west of Chicago Avenue . . . fun little shop with vintage linens, china, glassware, lots of old silver, jewelry, etc. . . . closed Sundays and Mondays. I'm an occasional shopper there, and always find it a real treat. Check it out! Also, do you know about The Spice House on Central Street, just west of Green Bay Road? Spices and blends, many many kinds of cinnamon, cardamon, all the things that are hard to find. The stuff is fresh, fresh, fresh. A great place. Also sells online. I just wanted to share two of my favorite places with Chicago area FarmGirls! Katie
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  6:22:21 PM  Show Profile
Hello, Katie-ell, I am also searching for Chicago farmgirls. I live in Riverside, near the Brookfield Zoo. Kelly and I have emailed about starting a chapter nearer the city. Glad to see you on line.
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  3:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Welcome new Farmgirls!
Im in NW Indiana,Laporte.Big Farmgirl Howdy to Y'all!!!.....used to work in Chicago.....uh...that was me they interviewed about MJ for the trib. Chapter is slow to gain momentum around here!!!!?...but you all are welcome to come on out to laporte for a gathering under my willow tree anytime!!..I am right off the tollroad and very close to New Buffalo MI and a pretty large outlet mall in Michigan city if you're lookin to bargain shop.also some great antique shops in the area too!! Come soon and I'll send ya home with tomatoes and hot peppers.....great fixins for fresh salsa!!!Enjoy the site!! lots of fun here!!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  4:27:29 PM  Show Profile
Ladies -- maybe we should form a Great Lakes States chapter!

Susan-I saw your quote in the Trib article... reminded me fondly of my days living in & around LaPorte! I was there for nearly five years (late '92 to mid '96) working at the newspaper as a reporter. I lived in town, then out in the country right in your neighborhood on CR-850N
LaPorte was where I finally got to fulfill some of my farmgirl fantasies, and I haven't stopped since. Reporters don't make a lot of money, and are under a lot of stress (at least I was!), so I got a weekend job at a horse facility, got a horse, and eventually moved into the apartment on the horse property. I found out later the managers made a bet that I wouldn't last one weekend cleaning stalls, etc. -- haha, they had no idea I was a farmgirl at heart, and one of those managers is now a dear farmgirl friend! It was a wonderful time, but ownership changes made DH & I evaluate career options, and we headed back to Chicagoland...where we found boarding a horse VERY expensive!
Thus, our move to Wisconsin.

Katie-ell, sorry for hijacking your welcome post!
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  12:38:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Mo, looks like I'm actually the closest one to you here. I live in the Albany Park/North Park area (near Foster and Kimball) so just a few miles away. Welcome!

Katie, which suburb do you live in?

Edited by - ivmeer on Sep 07 2005 1:25:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  1:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Mo, I'm in Evanston at least once a week. My in-laws have lived there all their lives -- 90 years and counting -- and my pop-in-law was a fireman at the #2 station, which is now a restaurant on Chicago Ave and Kedzie. Isn't Evanston growing so quickly? But I love that town. So much to offer -- culture, diversity, interesting shops, good food. Have you been to Cosy -- a little storefront Thai restaurant. It's near Tom Thumb craft store -- I think on Davis? (Sometimes I just drive until I find what I'm looking for!) Anyway, isn't this fun, to find another Farmgirl wannabe right in our own backyard!
Go to Top of Page

Moe
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Mo
Evanston IL
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  6:03:07 PM  Show Profile
hey, Katie and Amanda! Ilove Evanston. Moved here 3 years ago from the north side of Chgo. I know the Kimball Foster area well, Amanda.
My favorite restaurant in Evanston is Tommy Nevins Pub. This town is the epitome of a graceful and beautiful town. Also much more in tune with my "farm girl" inner person!!
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi from Chicago Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page