Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 These boots were made for walkin'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic These boots were made for walkin' Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  08:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I enjoy walking - always have. I walk just for the sake of walking. But everytime I tell someone else that I'm walking to whatever destination I may have chosen, they get upset and start offering me a ride...or a bus token...and lots of sympathy. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm just wondering when walking became an almost unthinkable burden.... When the college used to let us go half days on Fridays during the summer, I would ride to work with my dh and he would drop me off. I would then walk home, which would take about two hours, give or take. The route went through a beautiful old part of town, and I would stop and 'smell the roses', admiring gardens as I went. But this has been a recurring theme throughout my entire life. Is it just me, or does this happen everywhere? I'm just curious...

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  08:08:16 AM  Show Profile
Janice...well, don't know--I live in smack in the middle of the city, with ALL sorts of transportation, and I STILL love walking. There is so much to see, who wants to be all stuffed in a train. I'd walk 20 or 30 city blocks, when I have time, just to walk past the pretty stores.

When my family lived in Florida, I didn't mind walking either, it's pretty good exercise, and it gives you time to think, and ponder the wonders of nature....

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

www.bigtownfarmer.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  10:25:20 AM  Show Profile
Janice,
Funny thing was when my old van finally died this past summer, I took the bus for about six weeks until I decided on my new car. It is only a 3 mile ride into town for my job and then the grocery store isn't far either. And it was in the summer, so warm and dry. I walked about 6 blocks to the main bus, as waiting for the one to take me 4 blocks just seemed silly. But people always spoke their concern to me for having to take the bus and offered me rides and such. I even took the bus to the airport when I went on a short trip, and people were appalled...I walked a lot and wished I still did, but it is too easy when you have a car to just drive. I chose my home location though, because it is close to a bus, stores and everything. If I had to I could walk to the grocery, with a cart, but it is almost 3 miles and that is a bit much. But think how healthy I would be...

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  10:28:07 AM  Show Profile
Janice, we walk anywhere we can--in the suburbs it's a little different, but when I go to stores or whatever, I make sure I park out in the furthest area so that I can walk--because I CAN....use em or lose em, I think!

My husband prefers to walk. We share the car in the am, he drops me off, runs his errands, leaves the car and walks across the Roebling Suspension Bridge to downtown Cincinnati (1865) and the 6 city blocks to work. He will adamantly refuse a ride when offered!

We live in a society of plump children and out of shape or obese adults. Some have valid disablities that don't allow walking, and other folks...well, I think you know what I'm thinking.....

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  10:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
When I was VERY broke and first living on my own, I only drove my car to work and special events. I walked to the grocery store, Walmart, the bank and anything else I could. I would pack my backpack early Saturday morning and hike down to the nature conservation park- 2 miles away. Then I would hike, swim and picnic all day, walking all the way back home. People would always wonder why I just didn't take my car. My backside thanked me over and over and so did my waistline!! ; )

I love walking- hiking- just being out and moving. Nothing fancy!! I have done it since I was a kid. I used to get in trouble because I would just start out walking and end up deep in the woods or state park for HOURS and I loved it. I talk some pretty good jaunts with DS. He can go about a mile now and not complain. I am hoping to take him camping next summer, so I am trying to teach him about the outdoors, walking, hiking, animals, water, etc...

Where we live right now, there is a school right next door and I actually see parents driving their kids there and then driving home. It is about a 5-10 minute walk. GRRRR~~~~

When I work, I usually take an easy lunch with me, something portable, as I usually take a walk around for at least 20 minutes. You would be surprised at how many people think I am a kook!!!

Cheers,
Heather

Edited by - catscharm74 on Dec 10 2007 10:53:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Well, we can be in the 'kooks' club together, Heather. When the weather permits, I have found two thrift stores I can actually reach on my lunch hour! :D It takes 20 minutes of brisk walking to get there and 20 to get back....leaving 20 minutes to SHOP! :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Janice!! We should get together and go for one long walk!!! HA!!! We could wear our cowgirl boots, aprons, pincurl our hair and bring along some sweet tea!!

I once hauled 20 books in my backpack to the book exchange for $$. I made $46 and had a nice walk.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good for you, Heather. You sound like a woman after my own heart!

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Even worse or more funny, depending. I love to dumpster dive and passed this HUGE dumpster on my walks all the time. Well, there was some furniture there, in good condition. I hauled out a stool, small table and chair. Well, I couldn't carry it, so I stashed the chair and table in the woods and hauled the stool home a mile!! HA!! The looks I tell ya!!! I drove back and got the rest later. I also collect can and bottle to recycle. I give the change to my son for his piggy bank!! I have found money, clothing, cell phone, address book thingy and other such strange things along the way.

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:37:08 AM  Show Profile
I love walking and I am truly sad that my life does not give me much opportunity for it these days. It is simply not safe to walk around my neighborhood anymore. On weekends, I drive out to a nature center about 45 minutes from my house to walk. It's the high point of my week.

I was a little extreme about walking when I was in college. One night I walked 6 miles round trip on icy roads to return a library book that I'd just discovered was due that day. It's good practical knowledge, knowing how to get places on foot and how long it will take.

Here's a question: is it easier to walk in the city or in the country? Being a city girl, country roads and traffic seem a little frightening. But, then, are they more frightening than my neighbors?
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I love walking too, that is when I do it AHEM I should start doing it more. I live in a small town where virtually I could walk everywhere. I have fallen into the lazy american way of only vehicle travel. YIKES! I think I will walk today thanks to your inspiration :) And I have no clue when walking became a bad thing. You set a fine example!!!!:)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
LOL Heather! I'm envious of your dumpster finds! I go through as many alleys as possible when I walk my dogs - I've found great stuff that way. I once found a nice metal home made plant stand - carried it with one hand and held two leashes/dogs with the other! LOL! Leaving it behind wasn't going to happen!

Amie - You're so right about what you learn when you go on foot. You become aware of your surroundings and can estimate time/distance - I think of it as kind of a 'mini survival tool'.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic These boots were made for walkin' Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page