Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 What to do when your deodorant stops working???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What to do when your deodorant stops working??? Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  9:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok, this could get stinky, so be warned...

I have used the same brand of deodorant for years- since I was a kid. Never had a problem- worked like a horse for me!! Well, as of late, it has...well...stopped working and it is NOTICEABLE!! And I am so embarassed!! I tried switching over to another brand for like 2 weeks- um...not working!! I start a stinkin' about 4 hours after my shower and application. I don't know what to do? Could it be hormones, aging, global warming????

Any advice would be helpful. I do use just regular old Dove soap in the shower. Nothing fancy...

Thanks.

Cheers,
Heather

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  04:43:14 AM  Show Profile
They probably reformulated it.

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  04:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Take a look at your diet. Are you eating different or maybe the foods you eat aren't agreeing with a change in your body.

A friend just gave me a recipe for a natural deodorant that can be sprayed on or dabbed on with a cotton ball. Would you like it? I haven't tried it yet; she just gave it to me last Friday because we discovered that the deodorant stone we use has alum in it.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  06:12:49 AM  Show Profile
You have to keep trying different ones till one works. You will find one. What works for my husband doesn't work for me and vice verse! lol For instance the Crystal doesn't work on my husband, works good on me! Jayson doesn't work on me, works great on him. Tom's burns and makes my husband's arm pits get welts. Doesn't bother me at all and works great for me! lol haha
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  06:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I am experiencing much the same thing...mine is attributed to lead/cadmium poisoning that has caused many changes to vital chemical balances in my body...esp. my liver, but also affects hormones (endocrine system). My liver is really toxic, one symptom is strong B.O. (NOT FUN!) I am looking into liver detox methods (besides all the other detox I'm doing for the lead poisoning)
I agree with Lynn, check your diet & perhaps do an online search about liver toxicity & symptoms. Would you consider a whole-foods cleanse/detox after the first of the year? Just a thought...
Hope you find a natural deoderant product to avoid having to use a chemical-laden deoderant/antiperspirant.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16

Edited by - MasterGardener on Dec 09 2007 1:36:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  08:14:37 AM  Show Profile
Be careful with liver cleanses, releasing too many toxins at once can make you very depressed and emotional. While I was doing one, I thought I lost my mind, I called my husband a bad name for the first time ever in life! I just don't use foul language at all let alone to my husband!

I have a bad liver too (always have, diabetes, and other things contribute). Any way, I find eating a high fiber, lower fat (still some fat though), diet and lots of water to be the best way to keep the liver healthy.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2891 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2891 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  08:22:22 AM  Show Profile
I think I have a great solution. Baking Soda!! I started putting just a small amount in each pit each morning & have not had a single bit of odor at all. It has been about 2 months & is amazing how well it works. With all other deodorants, by the end of the day I knew it was time for a shower, but now, I really can't smell a thing. I even had hubby sniff my pits for me(OK maybe TMI!!)
Just be careful not to use too much, or rub too hard into your pits; it may cause you to itch just slightly. I just kind of pat it in, & it has worked like a charm. After a while you can even skip a day here & there.
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  08:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Wow! Someone else is doing a liver cleanse??? My homeopathic doctor has me on a veggie liver cleanse three times a week for three weeks. I haven't noticed any BO changes but I have noticed that if I eat junk food (I only allow myself to eat something junk 2 times a month) I have BO.

Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  08:28:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Take a look at your diet. Are you eating different or maybe the foods you eat aren't agreeing with a change in your body?

Coffee and chocolate, to a lesser extent, affect how much my sweat smells. Hormone & weight fluctuations also seem to contribute. If baking soda isn't too irritating, you could dust it on every now & then - it neutralizes the acids that create the odor.

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  1:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi Lynn...I'd like to know more about your cleanse...& @ the same time I agree with Heather to be careful...I am under the care of a naturopath & I am going to discuss a liver cleanse w/him, but would like very much to know more about yours. I agree with Jen too, this week I've been out of organic coffee beans, used DH's & found it caused serious BO.
I am starting to juice more frequently, purely because nothing else I've tried gives me much energy. It exhausts my body to have to work to digest food. I use digestive enzymes and HCL, but the juices are an incredible energy boost. I also use Brenda Watson's Fiber Fit shake as it's the only one that uses xylitol & I haven't experienced ANY fluctuations in my blood sugar like I've had w/other protein drinks. I use the fiber caps also, because her's don't contain psyllium or the senna leaf, it's acacia instead. That's my program; 35g fiber daily & the equivalent of 1/2 my body weight in ounces of water plus exercise & toxins are leaving, slowly but surely.
I think I may just try Lisa's idea w/baking soda every now and then too...thanks Lisa.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  11:30:39 AM  Show Profile
I use 92% coconut oil mixed with baking soda in ratios of 50/50. Just warm the oil, mix and put in air tight container, such as an old cold creme or vicks jar. Works great and has very little odor. And best of all, it is safe . . . no weird chemicals or aluminum to give you alzhiemers, etc. The coconut oil needs to be the 92% to work right. It is a natural odor absorber and so mixed with the baking soda it is wonderful!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  5:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I'm so glad you brought this up. I thought it was just me, mine stops working after awhile and I switch. The natural stuff doesn't work on me. I'm not a sweaty girl and normally the sweat doesn't stink but still.....

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9381 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9381 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  03:25:32 AM  Show Profile
How do you get the baking soda to stay put. Do you put it on damp or something cause I'm thinking it would just brush off onto the clothes.

"She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  06:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by MasterGardener

Hi Lynn...I'd like to know more about your cleanse...

Here is the liver cleanse my homeopathic doctor gave me -

For the next 3 weeks, at least 3 times a week, your dinner should consist of the following only. Eat until you are satisfied. Do not eat anything afterwards. USE ONLY FRESH VEGETABLES, NOT FROZEN. DO NOT USE ALUMINUM COOKWEAR OR PLASTIC STEAMERS. DO NOT MICROWAVE. A stainless steel steamer basket can be used.

Flavor with melted butter and/or olive oil, garlic, salt, or pepper.
(Yes, the body needs oils)

Steam any 4 of the following vegetables until fork tender.

These veggies can be cooked together since they need the same amount of time-

Cabbage
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Onion
Cauliflower
Kale

Asparagus (I don't eat but I guess it needs less time to cook)

Beets
(need more time)

Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  06:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Past Blessings

I use 92% coconut oil mixed with baking soda in ratios of 50/50. Just warm the oil, mix and put in air tight container, such as an old cold creme or vicks jar.

I'll have to try this one. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  07:13:16 AM  Show Profile
i dont have thi sissue. I use Avalon Organic deoderant and I eat a lot of garlic-which contrary to popular belief-can help curb bad body odor. I would suggest also what has been made mention...look a tyour diet. Fats often cause a lot of bad b.o.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2891 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2891 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  07:32:58 AM  Show Profile
Denise

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2891 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2891 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  07:38:12 AM  Show Profile
Denise(sorry accicdentally posted before done)
I keep some baking soda in a little plastic shaker bottle(one from some old spices) I just shake a tiny bit in my palms, rub together & slightly pat into my armpits. I do it right after the shower when I am still slightly damp. The only time I had a problem was when I put too much on & wore a black Tshirt to the gym; after heavy sweating I saw white rings under my arms on my black shirt. I use such a tiny amount that it hasn't happened again. I am sold, & have found that even the next day I can sometimes skip & it doesn't matter.
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlinthesand
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

maggie
Williston Fl
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  3:19:25 PM  Show Profile
I use plain baking soda too. I keep some in a baggie on the bathroom counter. Just take out a pinch and rub it under your arms and your good to go. It is the only thing that works for me. If you should forget to put some on in the am and you get stinky, rub some on and the stink will disappear. Just dont put it on right after you have shaved.... ouch!
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  10:03:33 AM  Show Profile
Ok ladies,

here's the thing mine hasn't stopped working but my underarms are itching like crazy -- I haven't even had deo on the last couple days to see if it helped. Today they are driving me nuts!! Have you had this and did the baking soda help with that? Also eldest dd has itchies too and lots of sweating.

Thanks!

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

http://timsarmywifey.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What to do when your deodorant stops working??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page